hi newly diagnosed so worried, help!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hi newly diagnosed so worried, help!

Postby fizzw1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi I will just introduce myself and hope others can advise me. I have been teaching for 22 years now and for the last 3 have steadily declined in every aspect of my job. I have been for numerous tests and finally had a diagnosis of fibro . Great what now I am 46 the only working person in my family unit as my husband was diagnosed with parkinsons 6 years ago and is retired, his parents live with us one with a heart condition the other cancer scares and treatment. My job is demanding stressful physically exhausting and as secondary science teacher health and safety is paramount. The constant painkillers and blanks at work has caused me to have 2 weeks off work to try and recuperate and I can only see this pattern increasing as I struggle with the demands of teaching :-x is there anyone out there who is a secondary teacher who can advise as to what steps I take next?with work , union my financial side is so shaky help thanks for listening.
fizzw1
UKFM Newbie

Re: hi newly diagnosed so worried, help!

Postby smilertodd » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi Fizzw1,
I'm so sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with this aweful disease! Especially with the hardships you have already suffered! Fibro is not an easy thing for people to deal with and can be a day to day struggle as you have already found out. There is plenty of advice and support on here as I have found out also being new to this. I have a few small jobs which include being a lunch time supervisor, librarian and I teach art privately from home. I love working with kids and I have 2 of my own and it's very demanding even if you're not in pain or constantly tired. I have started doing a few things that have so far helped which is drinking much more water then I normally do, I use a vibro plate twice a day to improve my stiff tight joints and use an arnica rub if they are really bad, I've found that going to bed a bit later after have a bit of whisky not only helps my sleep better but it stops my restless legs and I wake up more refreshed and in less pain. I really hope you find something that makes this aweful thing easier to deal with. Please keep us updated on your progress. Sending gentle hugs.
Sarah XX
When things go wrong as they sometimes will, When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,When the funds are low, and the debts are high, And you want to smile, but have to sigh, When care is pressing you down a bit, Rest if you must, but do not quit!
smilertodd
UKFM Member

Postby fizzw1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks Sarah just posted a long reply hit the wrong button blah lost story of my life. Just to say work is uncompromising unsympathetic and not a place with people I want to mix with kids ok. Constantly looking over my shoulder for the knife in my back I know if they could get rid of me they would jump at the chance so have to be very very careful how I talk to school occi healthiest. Truly I know I cannot sustain teaching and looking after my husband and his parents so I have decidedly sell the house and move to smaller accommodations .otherwise it could be repo if things go badly. Physio discharged me said could no longer help so it's drugs painkillers and gentle stretching for me. Thanks for your kind thoughts :yikes:
fizzw1
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:04 am

Sending gentle hugs and good wishes , sorry but can't give a more substantive reply as am in a very foggy place at the moment but just wanted you to know someone else listening and appreciating your mental & physical pain .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby fizzw1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks for your support it is a shame my family don't show any not one iota. My mum just ignores me or tells me to get on with it and then just recounts every illness she's got as if that's an excuse for not caring. My teenage kids don't talk visit just interested in the money side. Not one so called friend has actually asked how I feel just look sheepish and scurry the other way. Don't have any really since my husband's diagnosis friends have disappeared. So on my own as usual battling the dwp over placing my husband Neil in the wrag saying he is fit to work what a load of rubbish so appealing and asking for support group status, stressful in itself and then recently told as I work any payments he does get at present will stop in august as it is based on his national ins contributions . Why he has worked solidly for years he didn't ask for this parkinsons fought for this country and now is deemed unworthy of this benefit just makes me mad. Only 3 days to go and I am back slogging away am panicking already.
fizzw1
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 am

Hi there just me again , there is a web site called Benefits & Work http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ which I found really useful when filling out benefits forms. It tells/shows you how to fill the form in what I call benefits speak ie language that the benefits folk will understand.

To obtain the advice packs you need to subscribe to the site , normal price £19. 95 per annum but there is a "sale" with membership now £15.95 if you join before Thursday midnight (today). As well as advice on how to fill out forms there is also advice for appeals procedures etc..

I have nothing to do with the site other than be a member and sucessful claimaint. I recently joined when filling out DLA & ESA forms and was awarded DLA at high rate mobility and ESA at support group for 18 months , so I am more than happy with the £20 it cost to join the website.

Are you sure your husband gets all the benefits he is entitled to , have you tried for DLA as well as the ESA benefit. I know in some areas it has already changed over to PIP but I think some may still be DLA for a while.

So sorry to hear you are not getting the support you need from those around you , for your husband there should be an area support nurse for his Parkinsons who may be able to put you in touch with other carers & sufferers. I recently did a "managing your chronic condition" course run in my area by Arthritis UK . There where a number of men who had Parkinson on it and they said they got great suppport from the Area support nurse.

You now know there is always someone on here who will hopefully be able to offer you some support with you FM . I know i have come on this site in the past and got loads of practical advice , they are now my virtual family .

So again good luck , take care and :grouphug:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby fizzw1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks its great to know there are kind hearted people out there like yourself who can offer great advice. I have used the site you have listed my .MP and the citizens advice and so I am just waiting at present. We get no help from the parkinsons nurse we have seen 2 so far the local parkinsons support were more helpful but Neil is young and gets quite upset as the majority of those in these groups are old and many have advanced symptoms.
After a lot of form filling Neil now gets dla due to be reviewed in 2015 to pip so I will await the outcome on that one.
It's what happens with my work that is the issue but there is a mountain of resources on here that I have found so I will take each day as it comes just like my symptoms. I've had more support on here thananyone around me, my so called family. Thanks again. :-D
fizzw1
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:23 pm

:welcome: to the forum Fizz

We did have a couple of teachers on the forum but i not sure if they are still posting?

Sorry to hear about your hubby & in-laws, it must be very hard on you with you having fibro and work on top. :hugs:

We have lots of info and support on here, have a read around in working & benefits you might find some help there if not start a new topic.

Fibro comes under the disability act so you could have a would with work/ union/ occ health to see if they can make things easier for you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:29 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fizzw1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks for your kind comments I have just spent an exhausting day at work and now realise how soldiering is just not possible anymore I need to consider properly the major impact this is having on my life and quality of life I am having with my husband. I will consult all bodies suggested but long term I see an end in sight for me when it comes to full time teaching. Will keep u all posted. Thanks fiona
fizzw1
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello