New member and worried about pressure point test

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New member and worried about pressure point test

Postby smileysun79 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi all, I'm new here today. I was diagnosed with CFS in 2008 after 8 months of symptoms, pretty quick i think going by some people's experiences. I'm lucky that we have a very good clinic and I was with the 6 months whilst learning to cope.

I've been managing quite well until the last year, my symptoms have worsened especially the pain. I finally decided to see my GP again. At first i felt a little Brushed off but she gave me zme new meds which just made me more poorly.

I web back a couple of weeks ago and nt through all my symptoms again and she decided to send me for blood tests ro rule alp else out. Got results today, all clear. I mentioned Fibro and she said she kade a note when I last saw her that she thought that's what it is but wanted to check bloods first.

I'm now to go see her on May 1st when she is going to do a pressure point test. I've read what it involves but can anyone share their experiences as some days it hurts to ha e a cuddle off my kids! How bad did the test hurt any of you when tbe pressure was applied?

Many hanks for reading x

(Sorry dfor spelling, typing from mt phone)
smileysun79
UKFM Newbie

Re: New member and worried about pressure point test

Postby shazq » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:37 pm

:welcome: smileysun :cow-wave:

:fingerscrossed: you get the answers on your next apt. I did not have the pressure point test so cant tell you how it felt but :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:21 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: :welcome: smileysun, wish you were joining us under nicer circumstances.

I had the pressure point test as part of the dx~ing process for FM. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but it is the closest thing there is to something showing up physically to indicate FM. Each point that the rheumatologist touched hurt more and more, and by the time he got to the final one, not only did I need scraping off the ceiling, but also off the walls and floor because of the agony I was in. The touches weren't that hard as they had been shown to me on an area that doesn't usually have the points on them so I knew what sort of pressure would be used to check them. The reaction/response was because of how intense those points are on me, as like you have said sometimes the smallest and lightest cuddle leave me in even more agony for such a long time. After that appt, I found it took a few days for me to get back to how I tended to be as it really took it out of me, so that might be something you need to consider as well, there are quite a few posts on here about people feeling completely drained after their dx because, no matter how much you try to prepare yourself for it, being told/having it confirmed that FM is the reason for how you are feeling and being affected still does knock you for 6, or even 12 in some cases.

Sorry it's not an all bright and shiny and cutesy and fluffsy explanation, but with things like this, I usually find being honest about things tends to be the best approach.

With a more positive tone now, you'll find lots of info and advice on here, as well as understanding and support as we have each had our own experiences of problems and situations with FM, and share things to try and help others in similar situations find their way thru them.

Anything at all that you want to know about, just ask away and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby smileysun79 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks so much for your replies I agree the honest reply is better, I would rather know the truth so i can be prepared better. I have three toung children so need to plan things so now will plan extra rest time for a couple of days after just incase :) xx
smileysun79
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:31 pm

That sounds a good plan smileysun :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:10 am

You will do fine with the test. Some people react more to the touch, others just a mild flinch. One of my Dr's has fibro and explained that people say it feels like someone pressed hard on a deep bruise. That is what I felt at the time also. Even now my hubby knows which ones I react to so he occasionally pushes his thumb on them for me. On days when I am in denial and overdo things he will press on one of the spots on my arm just to remind me that if I continue overdoing things I am going to be in trouble. It is not the worst pain you will experience!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:35 am

:wave: smiley

Welcome to the forum. I didn't have the test either but I just wanted to wish you Good Luck and I hope you can get some answers. Think a good few days rest afterwards will help you recover from the test.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby smileysun79 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks peeps, my test is on Wednesday, I tried pushing the ones on my arms but had no pain but I guess thetes another 16 to go lol x
smileysun79
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:44 pm

smileysun79 wrote:Thanks peeps, my test is on Wednesday, I tried pushing the ones on my arms but had no pain but I guess thetes another 16 to go lol x

Don't try finding the spots yourself it will confuse you when you get the actual test. You may feel something that is not in the right spot, then when you have the actual test you may not respond correctly to the right spot. I would not want you to get a wrong diagnosis
positive or negative.

Just relax, it is easier than you think and you may not experience any pain afterwards other than the actual pressing on the spots.
If you don't experience after pain that doesn't mean that you don't have fibro or diminish the fact that you have symptoms.

I hope you find some reasons and answers
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Not every Rheumy will test you for pressure points so dont work yourself up about it. :hugs: i never got tested for it and know of a few others that have not been tested either.

:goodluck1: with your apt.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby smileysun79 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi all, I had the pressure point test yesterday and 15 out of the 18 were painful, the other 3 were just tender so weren't counted. So at least now everything adds up, haven't been going mad for the last 12 months. My Gp said she's unsure wether it was fibro from the start or wetber i have fibro and cfs as the two are so similar x
smileysun79
UKFM Newbie

Postby LouLou » Thu May 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi smileysun

Hope you are resting after the test as I know from others who have had it that it has knocked them about for a few days afterwards.

A few people on here have both FM and CFS and they are both so close in terms of symptoms. Have you been told what to do next? Do you have to see your GP now you've had the test or do you have to wait for more tests? I know how frustrating it can be waiting for a diagnosis so hang on in there.

Take Care
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Angeldreams » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I've had the test and it's nothing to worry about. Sure, it's uncomfortable but not unbearable and is very quickly done, as they don't usually press ALL the points anyway. :-)

Good luck x
Angeldreams
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello