Advice needed does anybody else have....

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice needed does anybody else have....

Postby Rebecca1984 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi,

First of all thank you for reading my post.

I am 29 and was diagnosed with Fibro last week, I also have an under active thyroid but my levels are now normal after a month on medication. On top of Fibro I also suffer from arthritis in my lower spine and neck :-(

Just wanted to know if what I'm suffering from is pretty standard.

Definitely have the brain fog but have extremely painful wrists, especially my right which is currently in a support, painful feet, finger joints and burning knees!!

Other main concern is that I've lost one and a half stone in 7 weeks! My GP is quite supportive unlike the rheumatologist I saw. The pain clinic I feel also have been a let down.

I'm on BuTrans patches 55mg and pre gablin but still in a great deal of pain.

I'm a police officer and have been off now for a while and cannot see a way out of this or infact ever being fit enough to work again! I do have flare ups but I'm pretty bad all of the time.

Can anybody please offer me any advice or support? Do most people with Fibro work?

Looking forward to hearings from anybody :-)
Rebecca1984
UKFM Newbie

Re: Advice needed does anybody else have....

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:45 pm

hi, rabecca, sorry you have this problem,

we all seem to differ in levels and symptoms but i do get painful wrists and feel evey joint tendon amd muscle in my hands hurt,

it differs from day to day and can take time to find something that hellps,

i do work but have had to make changes in what i do and for how long i do it for but im self employed with a good hubby and staff so im in a better position than alot of people trying to stay in work,

we all have diffrent levels and life styles and ways of copeing,

you have to do what is right for you, your dr is understanding so talk to him and you will have a md at work you could see,

this is a condition that takes time and change to learn to cope as best we can, if you find you cant stay in the police its not a failing just another stage in your life,

i have been at the point of feeling worthless and useless as i could no longer carry on doing what i did but am in a better place now,

you may find someting else to do which makes working easier for you,

the main thing to remember is your body and mind will only take so much and then rebel and its not nice,

i hope you find a way for you but it wont happen overnight,

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Rebecca1984 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Thank you so much for your reply I very much appreciate it.
I think time will definitely help as I'm very mixed up round right! I too have a wonderful husband and two beautiful children to keep me going.
Thank you for your time and kind words xx
Rebecca1984
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 pm

:welcome: to our wonderful FibroFamily Rebecca :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

When you're told you have FM, there is a lot to take in and get used to, so as MB has said, it takes time to find your way thru it all. It can be the same with meds and treatments, you need time to try different things as what may help one may not be as effective for another. And with the different things to be tried in different combinations, it can take a while to fin the right cocktail ingredients for you.

The symptoms you've mentioned affect most of us at some point along the way, quite often on a very repeated basis :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: The fog is an absolute nightmare for pretty much all of us, and at times it can make you wonder if you're losing it completely :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: In fact, the condition as whole often leaves us thinking that we're :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Not sure I can say that you get used to it, but with time (again) you do find ways to manage things a bit more effectively.

Work~wise, it all depends on how the individual is affected as to whether they are able to carry on with their job. Some find that with the right mix of meds for them, reasonable adjustments being made to their job, and support from their colleagues, boss etc, they are able to continue working. For others tho, it is completely impossible. I'm one of the ones who hasn't been able to carry on and was medically retired almost 12 years ago.

At the moment, with you still getting used to being part of our club and trying to find that mix of things to make you as comfortable as possible, the best thing to do is simply take things day~by~day. It's something a lot of us have done, and still do at times. Just focus on "the now" and things will steadily start to come into place for you. It will take a while as you need to find your way thru things, hopefully tho, as you've joined us, with all the info and advice and support on here, it will be a touch easier for you to do :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 pm

:welcome: to our fibro family rebecca

I don't have much to add as I think the others have posted what I wanted to say lol I just wanted to add that I get really painful wrists too so I know how you feel.

Often after being at work all day (I work in an office) my wrists are killing me so I rest them on a hot water bottle for an hour or so to ease them. I have hundreds of those support bandages too lol I should have shares in Boots I spend that much in there lol.

Anyway welcome again and I look forward to chatting with you on here.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Rebecca1984 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Thank you both for taking the Time to talk to me.
I'm having a really bad day today so I appreciate the support this forum offers :-)
Rebecca1984
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:45 pm

:welcome: Rebecca :cow-wave:

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time working, i used to work full time where i was on my feet all day but i had to cut my hrs to part time but my body was still in so much pain i had to leave, i tried another job but fibro got the better of me, i was getting migraines and being sick so i had to stop working altogether.

I do miss working but there is no way my body is able to. I dont miss the stress of working or the fear of having to call in sick or dragging myself to work knowing i should be at home. The stress has gone just wish the pain was. :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello