[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - throwing away the drugs

throwing away the drugs

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

throwing away the drugs

Postby johncogger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:55 am

anybody ever tried coming off the drugs ....they cause me to be tired unintersted and also I think a little moody .
thought long and hard about this .
Im unable to work at the moment due to fm and the drugs they have given me .
Ive worked all my life apart from the last 10 months (hell time )
I have to sign in every two weeks and show the work i have applied for ,because of the drugs a lot of employers will not give me a second glance .(i worked in construction as a project manager for multi billion dollar companys).
most days I have hazy episodes and dont remember meetings etc ,so no suprise i cant find employment .
im from the uk but lived away for a number of years ,got married and had two lovely kids .
when i returned to uk (after keeping up my payments for ss etc ) i had to register with a jobcentre ,the lady who see's me is great she knows family that have a similar condition .
the upshot being if i dont activelly look for work i cannot get support ,i dont want to lie and say ive applied for work when i havent .
slight situation ,my wife had to return home in january as i was unable to provide for her ,my children have stayed with me .
I can get my wife back if im working .if she returns before i find work my financial assistance will cease .

so again i feel if i stop the meds i may be able to get this foggy feeling out of my system .
id rather be in pain than not have my wife with me and my kids

rock and a hard place is the phrase i think .

has anyone tried and what were the implications .

amitriptolyne
cocodomol
atenolol
naproxene

gotta give it a go i see no other way .
right now im no use nor ornament to anyone around me

thoughts
johncogger
UKFM Newbie

Re: throwing away the drugs

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 am

John, I am sorry to hear about the awkward place you are in right now.

I am not in the UK so I can't offer help with policy.

If you decide to go off your meds, PLEASE do not, without medical supervision. All drugs have side effects from withdrawal. Some are rather serious.

I hope your problem is resolved soon and your family reunitted.....Good Luck to you all
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 pm

:welcome: to our little fibro sanctuary John :cow-wave: :cow-wave: I'm so sorry to hear that your family apart at the moment due to this condition, it really is such an awful thing to live with, not just for us but also for those who are important to us :grouphug: :hugs: :grouphug: :hugs:

The only experience I have really had of coming off a med is when I swapped from one type to another. I had to very gradually reduce the dosage of one until I got down to zero, then I could start the new med. The reduction was done under supervision from my GP with changes being made to the rate things went at when needed. Before you start doing anything, go and talk to your GP about this. They should be able to work with you on a suitable plan for you to do this over a sensible period of time that will be right for you. Please don't just stop taking the things you're on, as that can cause additional problems and leave you feeling even worse than you currently do.

Just a thought.....have you looked into alternative meds to the ones you're currently on??? Quite often there are several similar meds in each group, eg. an alternative to amitriptyline is nortriptyline, which works in the same way, but is said to have less side effects and be better tolerated. It might be possible to find a different combination of things that won't make you feel as foggy and zombified but still give you some relief from things :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

There's lots of other info and advice on here, so have a look when you get chance, you may come across some helpful suggestions. Whatever route you decide to go down :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: with it and I hope you and your family are re~united very soon :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby johncogger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 pm

I just gotta say thanks to all for the info and support..spoke to my doc this very morning ...a very tearfull chat for sure .. he said and i quote "ok if you want to come of the drugs, no problem .carry on I wish you luck .at that point he hung up !!!!!!!!

Ive never felt so alone .... cant even discuss this with family as I always seem to get weepy ...my oldest boy is here at my side and is my strenght just now .but surely i should be his strength .

shouldnt i be the strong one .i should be supporting him not him supporting me .....hell ,how low can you get ,to look for support from a child

Ive made up my mind ..finish the meds tonight and see how it goes ,return to the home of my wife and reuinte my family ...what happens happens .

i hope and pray (athough no religious in any way shape or form ) anyone cursed with this damn thing has more support from those supposed to be in a position of trust than I have received ..

if i could get back to work maybe i could get back my pride and have my kids look up to me as it should be .

I never knew my father and always wanted to be the light in my childrens eye ,now it seems im the old man in the corner unable to come play .kick a ball and run around .

I took my eldest swimming earlier today for the second time this week and I gotta say i hurt .but who do you say it to ,who do you talk to ,im tired of being tired and sick of being sick .

wow ,thats a real moan .......sorry to all for that .
goodnight sleep well
johncogger
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 pm

These thoughts and feelings are ones that most of us have experienced at some point John, esp when things have started to affect us when we have children. I spent a long time thinking that I was a complete failure as a parent as I couldn't do half of the things other mums were doing with their toddlers at the time. Not sure how it came about, but one day I started to look into the sorts of things I was capable of doing with my son so that we could still have some quality time and fun together. With a bit of fiddling about, we found a range of activities that we could do, incl ones that we could do when I was particularly bad and couldn't really move about much. For the more active things, family and friends helped out and I sat and took photos and things so we had some memories of things that we did.

What I'm trying to say is that if you can take a step or 2 back and try to look in on things as if you're peering in thru a window, rather than looking out on things from the inside, it is possible to find alternatives and other possibilities for situations.

Was the GP you spoke to today your regular one??? Based on what you have said, it doesn't sound as if they are being particularly helpful. Is there a different one you could see instead as having a decent GP can help with making things that bit easier to deal with.

Things can be improved, it usually involves some frustrations and a bit of a bumpy ride at times, but if you can start making your way thru things, you can wrestle some control and some elements of who you are as a person back from the blackness.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby difly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 pm

hi John your story im sure has been on most peoples mind especially when they come to a point were they carnt see a way out
the advice from fluppy is worth consideration ,when you can get some control back you will think clearer . you dont need to deal with things alone there is support im sure to assist sounds like you need to talk to another dr ,try to stop and think of the consequences
while you are considering your options hope things work out
difly
UKFM Member

thank you all

Postby johncogger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 pm

it feels so good to get some response ...thank you all

my doc is my regular ......maybe he is tired of people moaning at him al the time ....it must make you numb after time ...

not his fault really ....anyway

i posted i read i cried .....time for bed said zebedy ....if anyone is old enough to remember magic roundabout .

sure ill be better tomorrow after going to the jobcentre to sign a form and be snarled at by some spotty faced little ike

and again made to feel like slime .then told if im not able to work im not entitled to any funds .

hence the reason for giving up the meds .if im not taking them I dont have to disclose on a contract form ,i get the job .......

sounds perfect right .

!!!!!!!!!

sorry ..

and thanks again
johncogger
UKFM Newbie

Postby cameron1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:10 am

No No No..... please do not excuse your GP's lack of support. They get paid A LOT of money to do the job they do. Correction, its not a job. Caring for people is meant to be a vocation. If your GP is sick of hearing poorly patients moan, then they are in the wrong line of work.
There is no excuse for your GP's response and I actually think it is very negligent. They should have insisted you come to see them face to face to talk about it.

I managed without my amitryptiline for a while, fairly successfully. I still needed pain killers and there is no way round this.

Problem is, that every time I have a flare up the only way to get it back under control is to go back on the amitryptiline AND AT A VERY HIGH dose, which means going through all the awful side effects you get when you first start taking it.

Perhaps you could consider reducing the dosage of what you are taking? Also, there are less sedating medications available. But this is where your GP comes in, and should be advising you about this.

If you are going to stop, then please do it gradually. Your body will not thank you for going cold turkey xxx
cameron1
UKFM Member

Re: throwing away the drugs the answer

Postby johncogger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:04 pm

I thought Id grown out of SUPID Obviously not

Back on the Meds ....they do actually make a difference lol

good night to all
johncogger
UKFM Newbie

Postby lolo73 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:40 pm

John,
I am an educated and normally very articulate person, on amitriptyline I can't function, I am like a zombie. I decided to discontinue mine a couple of weeks ago, I gradually took less and less until I was taken a slither of one tablet because I couldn't stand going through withdrawal. I like to think I am an informed patient and next time I see my GP I will tell them I stopped it, I come from a medical background and I was taking it for pain not for depression. In fact there was some concerns about it being mixed with some of my other meds anyway so I feel safe in stopping it. I don't advocate anyone else doing this without proper information by the way. Anyway I came on to say despite not sleeping as well at night I am a lot brighter in the day, my thought process is much clearer and despite still being tired I am managing better, because I am in control. I hope you can get some support. I looked at your meds and you shouldn't stop your BP meds if you decide to ditch the rest, obviously it is very important you take it still.
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed May 01, 2013 2:47 am

Lolo73.......I could not take amitriptyline either. I was not at all myself on it.

I am on a very powerful patch. I took a bath in one of the other bathrooms and never realized when rinsed out the tub that they had come off and were in the drain. About 24 hours after the bath I started feeling funny. My legs were very agitated and i just wanted to walk as fast as I could. My hubby asked, when my patches needed changing and when we went to change them that night we realized they were gone. I already had started with withdrawal symptoms. My pharmacist said that it is not a pretty sight to see or go through withdrawel when someone stops the drug completely.

I would never suggest anyone stopping drugs without supervision from a Dr.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello