Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Potter2113 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi After nearly a year of experiencing all sorts of aches and pains and undergoing different diagnosis depending on which part hurt at the time and several Cortisone injections I was diagnosed yesterday. I Just wanted to gain some ideas and knowledge and helpful hints as I embark on this. I am waiting for my GP to receive the letter from the hospital Dr to see next course of action. I am really concerned that any drugs they prescribe will have an too many side effects which will interfere with another medical condition I have. It was a shock yesterday and just wanted to know not alone and if there may be any groups locally.
Potter2113
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newbie

Postby LouLou » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 am

:wave: Potter :welcome: to the forum

You are most definitely not alone in this at all. In regards to the pain meds there are so many out there and they all carry their own side effects, but just like with FM, one person will be able totolerate one painkiller with no effects whereas another person can take the same painkiller and suffer the side effects.

It's hard to advise you on the side effects of pain meds until you have seen your GP about which ones they want you to try. Many of us on here are on a cocktail of pain meds and it does take a lot of paitience and trial and error to find what works for you.

Maybe you could book in to see your GP while you wait for your letter to discuss possible treatments and pain meds? You can discuss your concerns about side effects and your Gp will be able to advise you better about these. Apart from pain meds there are a number of therapies many of us currently have or have tried in the past, things like pain clinics, hydrotherapy, massage, physio etc.

Take a peek at our Help/Tips on coping section as we have all added to it over time what we have tried and tested, what works for us, what doesn't etc. It's worth giving things a go as you never know what you may find to help you.

Any questions feel free to post them and we will all try and help.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri May 03, 2013 6:34 pm

:welcome: to the forum potter :wave:

Have a peep in the support group section to see if you come across any groups in your area, if not put up a new topic as others might see it or have a search through google. :goodluck1:

We have lots of into and support on here. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: potter and :welcome: to the family :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Glad to hear you've finally been given a name for what was causing your symptoms and problems. You've come to the right place to find out about all things FM, the boards are packed with all sorts of info and advice, and as we all understand what this condition can throw at us, there is plenty of support to help you thru the FibroDay.

It's understandable that you're worried about potential side effects of meds, as well as problems and interactions that may arise with your existing condition. When your GP receives the details from your rheumy and you go and see them, they should be able to go thru the types of meds with you and explain about any possible reactions and what the likelihood of them affecting you could be.

There are different types of meds used in trying to manage FM, this linky explains about some of them http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx Have a bit of a look, then when you go and see your GP, it will hopefully mean you have an idea about ones that are being suggested to you. There are also things like physio, hydrotherapy, acupuncture and massage that can help, so you could also ask about their availability as well.

This linky http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/fm-suppor ... roups.html will take you to the Support Groups page on the main site, so have a look to see what is available in your area. If you can't see anything, try Googlying your area and FM and see what is thrown up. Also your GP or local hospital might have details of groups in your area.

Think I've waffled enough for now, hopefully you'll find being part of family helpful. Anything else you're wanting to know about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Picklepudding » Fri May 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi, I'm new too so I know exactly how you're feeling xxx
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello