My Fibro Story

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My Fibro Story

Postby Sandii5 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi,
My name is Sandra I'm 43, married 5 children , 3 step children (don't worry only the 16,10 and 2 year old at home :-D ) and (well was) a full time nurse until last December when I first realised after 2 months the constant colds, tiredness and pains just weren't going away.
I went to the GP in October ( as a nurse I generally prefer to avoid GP's now they are almost my only adult conversation, other than my husband) and was prescribed the usual round of painkillers, antibiotics (my throat is always on fire) and blood tests by December I was climbing the walls and finally off work sick after a horrendous 13 hr shift completely in pain but so short staffed I had no time for even a break :( . The GP who saw me in December didn't see me they saw the shell of what used to be me wrapped up in a cocoon of pain and tiredness, and fraught with depression. At that point in time I firmly blamed my job I was sometimes working 4 x 13hr shifts a week in an extremely busy acute cancer ward, draining both physically and emotionally.
But after being off work for 4 weeks at the end of Dec (foolishly thinking i'd get better) my pain had spread from my shoulder and right hip to every joint imaginable, there was no sleep :cry: .
The GP then referred me to a Rheumatologist as I was asking them to Xray nearly every part of my body, I also had pain in my fingers and toes so was put on Amitriptiline could it get worse unfortunately YES :shock: .
I was seen by The Rheumatologist at the end of Jan as an appt came up last minute so snapped it up, by then my mobility was down to nothing everytime I moved or stood my hip/knee/ankle pain was immense.
I was given more blood tests to do and a full body bone scan.
Results came back deficient in Vit D (knew that but still no increase despite 20,000 units per week of Vit D supplement) low in folic acid, iron etc etc.
Saw GP "so thats why YOU are in pain, you need sun!!! goodbye"
I cried all the way home :-x
Consultant phoned me up in February with the results doubled the dose of Amitripline (still crying on the phone to her) advised rest, light regular exercise, good diet etc etc see her again in MAY!!!! WHAT?????? Thats also when she said she though I had Fibro (first time i'd heard of it) but told me not to worry as its quite common???
I have spent days in bed, days shouting at those I love with all my heart, i've hit my husband because he is TOO kind, I sob and sob and sob, don't see my friends, don't see my family and no-one (other than yourselves) know why!
I was unable to string a sentence together, couldn't remember what I was doing even when I was doing it (apparently called fibro fog), in the meantime still having meetings with my work as to whether I can come back (would I be safe to return, I think not).
Three weeks ago my GP was off so I saw another GP he asked me about my usual day, sleep, pain, drowsy, sleep, pain, drowsy, sleep etc etc so he took me off the Amitripline and I'm now on Citalopram with a view to combining that with another pline (wish I took pen and paper in with me) next week.
Since being off the Amitripline my fibro fog has all but gone, the pain is still here though and whereas I could sleep all night on Ami now I wake at 5 every morning :( .
My pain is in my wrists, hips, knees, shoulders, elbows, arms, shins, fingers, ankles, thighs now I also get chest pain (apparently more rib pain) the worse pain and the (I am not moving for all the tea in China) is the back and neck spasms which can last up to 3 days at a time and I feel like I want to rip my house down brick by brick.
Mobility is better but I don't know my limits yet I can walk somewhere but struggle to walk back.
I see my consultant again on the 22nd of this month, and my boss, HR and Occupational Health all in the same week aaaargh!
My ward are extremely good and willing to adapt to me but I wonder of in play it would actually happen???
Now I have been on this forum since January my consultant told me Fibro is "probably" what i've got and despite being a nurse i'd never heard of it so have hunted down any information I could find since then and came across this forum.
I feel like i'm in an AA meeting saying for the first time yes I am an alcoholic or rather in this case "yes I do have Fibromyalgia" its taken a long time to get it through to my head that I won't get better i'm surely not the only one that feels like this?
I have so many questions to ask but for now I'd just like to say HELLO my name is Sandra and thank you for listening to my story :-)
Sandii5
UKFM Member

Re: My Fibro Story

Postby lolabolla » Sat May 04, 2013 9:47 am

Hi Sandra :welcome:

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Sat May 04, 2013 11:21 am

:cow-wave: Sandra and :welcome: to the forum
:blowkiss: Lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Sat May 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Sandra
:-D :welcome:
Welcome to our world!!! I am too an ex nurse and had never heard of fibro before being diagnosed so i can understand while older dr's/nurses havnt heard of it either. This is a fantastic site and everyone is lovely, helpful and fully understand fibro we all have lots of experience in fibro lol!!!!!!!!

Milly :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :hugs:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Sandii5 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi Milly, Lu and Lola thank you so much :wave:
Sandii5
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon May 06, 2013 4:24 pm

:welcome: to the forum Sandra :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby janlou » Tue May 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Sandra, I am or was a nursery nurse worked full-time caring for 2yr-3yrs olds....Also a mum to 4 children all teens, I started to feel unwell in July 2010, it started with headaches, and not feeling well at all. I put it down to working, family life and planning my wedding in Sept 2010.

These headaches were happening every weekend, I had 2weeks off work, and I was fine know problems at all. Things were getting better and I was looking forward to my wedding, anyway long story., got married, everything was great until my husband lost his job just befor xmas 2010....not good.

I was working all the hrs that I could and money was tight, in the summer of 2011, I had a accident I tore all my muscle in my R leg!!!! BRILLIANT, off work for a month.....After physio, I went back to work, the duties at work are not just sitting around playing with children, its doing other physcial and mental jobs, I was getting worn out. Seamed to be picking up loads of viruses and feeling terrible :( .

November 2011 was the time my world crashed and totally changed, work was becoming hard, I had been a nursery nurse for 20yrs, but I was finding it hard to do my job, could not do simple tasks, I was avoiding jobs because I didnt know how to do them. I thinking, "am I going mad?" etc etc. Then 1 weekend I woke up feeling not so good, could not stand up, and when I tried to I fell to the fall....GP said it was Vertigo, I just felt rotten had know strength, I slept all day massive headaches...This went on till August 2012....I had MRI scan for my headaches showed Demylination ??? MS . Shock, tears everything . So back wards and forwards to the GP or the hospital....Then I started with fatigue and pain everywhere...My back and hips were and still are very painfull, walking is slow and I constantly feel like I am 90, I am only 46, and its been 4weeks since I was told I had Fibro....Sorry about the life history,but I just feel my life has been robbed. Does anyone else feel like this?

Jan :-?
janlou
UKFM Member

Postby Sandii5 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi Jan,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, absolutely know what you mean it feel being in a constant state of disbelief, I have been off work for 6 months now and although they want me back I know I can't do the job anymore and don't want to have to ask other members of staff to help me do even the simplest of jobs. I absolutely feel for you xx
and for all who said hello :-P thank you so much I thought i'd replied but my post isn't there :-? so not sure what happened there but its great to have people to talk to that understand without boring family who try but don't really understand :(
Sandii5
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi Sandra, Welcome. There are a few nurses/ ex nurses on here. I guess we get injured a lot which leads to FMS. I had an accident on the ward I worked on 15+ yrs ago, all this time no-one could tell me why I still had high levels of pain, then I started to look up FMS because I had nursed people with it and the picture fitted 100%. My GP agreed and then send me off to the Rheumatologists for a management plan and confirmation of my suspicions, that was Jan this yr. TBH I am pretty accepting of it, almost too accepting, probably the relief of not being a hypochondriac anymore because I finally have a diagnosis. I have found this forum a great help x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri May 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi Sandra and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello