[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Newbie do you think I have fibromyalgia?

Newbie do you think I have fibromyalgia?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newbie do you think I have fibromyalgia?

Postby Lucyemma » Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 am

Hello please could you take a minute to read my story and tell me if you think I have fibromyalgia.
I am a 35 year old female.
I have been to the doctors on and off now for 2 1/2 years complaining of back spasms, neck pain, shoulder pain, rib pain and pain under both sides of my collarbone. I have had an MRI and X-rays which showed nothing. I visited a chiropractor for 6 months which didn't help. Over the 2 years I have seen 3 physiotherapists who say its down to my posture. I find this hard to believe as prior to starting with the pain I was very active,running, aerobic classes, work and 2 small children.
I now feel like I have the body of an 80 year old. I struggle to stay active as I know the next day I will be in so much pain. In the mornings I am stiff and sore. During the night I struggle to turn over in bed as it hurts. I then wake up tired, grumpy and fed up. Some days I feel ok and then I can wake up the next day really sore and be in pain for the next couple of weeks. It's like I have flare ups and then the pain is there but it's bearable. I feel like I am always moaning to my husband and I just wish I could go back to the way I was!
I haven't asked my doctor if he thinks it is fibro I'm just going off what I have read on the Internet. Do my symptoms sound like anyone else's or do you think I am just suffering from bad posture?

X
Lucyemma
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newbie do you think I have fibromyalgia?

Postby whoami » Tue May 07, 2013 11:52 am

It seems strange that bad posture can be the root of all your pain but then who am I to say really.

There have been some questionable studies done suggesting that posture is the root of the evil fibromyalgia. I read a couple on other fibro forums.

Lucyemma, you should have this conversation with your Dr. He may, like some Dr's, have come to the diagnosis of fibro but for some reasons dont divulge their findings. Ask to be referred to a rheumatologist if he had thoughts it could be. Are you any meds now?

Good luck and keep us informed please.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Lucyemma » Tue May 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi thanks for replying. The only meds I take are ibuprofen during the day and codein at night. They help a bit but I'm starting to feel like I'll rattle soon. I daren't leave the house without ibuprofen in bag. I move house again in 3 months so I will be on my 3rd doctor since starting with the pain. Hopefully if I continue with the same doctor for more than a couple of years I will get a diagnosis. That makes me think! It's been 3 half years not 2 and half years that all this started. The physio did deep tissue massage which helped at the time but after my 6 NHS sessions and no more massage the pain returned. I do find taking a bath, regular gentle exercise and a massage from my partner helps but I can't help thinking that shouldn't be necessary to combat posture problems. I also don't see how I woke up one day with my posture causing me so many problems. Is the onset of fibro gradual or does it almost feel like it happened over night?
Sorry I'm rambling!
Lucyemma
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 07, 2013 1:40 pm

:welcome: to the forum Lucyemma :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I'm sorry to hear how things are for you. Whilst some of what you are experiencing symptom~wise may be symptomatic of Fibro, there could also be other causes behind it as there are a number of other conditions that share the same range of symptoms with FM, incl RA, Lupus. Because of this, it's not really possible for us to say if you have FM I'm afraid. The only people who can tell you what is the reason for how you feel are suitable healthcare professionals, once they have run any/all tests, scans, x~rays etc that they think appropriate and have examined all the results to see how they relate to all the possible potential causes.

The only way you can start this off is to go and talk to your GP about things and see what they think will be a suitable next step to take. Also take some details of your symptoms and problems and how/whe they affect you and to what degree to help provide as clear a picture of things and how they affect you. Also take some info about FM with you, and include in your info why it is you think FM may be what is causing your problems.

Sorry it's not a more helpful answer, but I hope you will appreciate why it isn't possible for someone on here to say what is wrong with you. While you decide what to do next, you're more than welcome to stay with us. There may even be some info that could be useful and help make things a little more suitable for you whilst you're starting off on the path that will hopefully take you to getting a dx :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Tue May 07, 2013 7:12 pm

:welcome: Lucyemma

:goodluck1: Hope you get some answers soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Lucyemma » Tue May 14, 2013 10:29 am

Hi again
I went back to the doctors yesterday as I the throbbing, burning pain in my neck, shoulder and clavicle area just became to much. I didn't mention fibro as I wanted to see what he said. He gave me some acupuncture on my neck and prescribed amitriptyline. I took one last night and so no difference. Has anyone else tried this med? Did it work? How long before you noticed results? Can I take ibuprofen as well?

Thanks

X
Lucyemma
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Amitriptyline in an older style antidepressant that has also been found to help with pain and sleep problems. With it being an anti~d it needs time to build up and make its presence felt in your body, which can take about a month to do so, which is why you will have had no change in things yet. (I'm surprised your GP didn't mention this when you were given your prescription :-? :-? :-? )

It can work for some and it is often one of the very first meds tried when trying to manage conditions like FM. The starting dose doesn't always suit everyone so a bit of time and patience are needed to try and find what makes the most difference for each of us.

Generally it is OK to take OTC meds with amitriptyline, but if in any doubt, speak to your your local pharmacist and/or your GP about it.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lucyemma » Tue May 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Yes the doctor was a bit vague just said take one a day. I thought it was a different kind of pain relief until I took last night and found no relief from it. I've researched it now so will give it a go. I'm not sure why he didn't explain exactly what it was!

Thanks for the reply
Lucyemma
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello