[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hi Everyone

Hi Everyone

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi Everyone

Postby plumbchick » Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Hello Everyone

My name is Lauren, I have been following posts for ages on this fantastic forum but never plucked up the courage to post my 'hello' and introduce myself. I was diagnosed last year with FM. I am 28 years old and at a bit of a low point in my ability to cope with my pain. I have just been diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease and three protruding discs in my lower spine..... :needhug:

Currently I am trying to study for my BA in History full time whilst holding down a part time job....I am signed off long term sick at the moment because I lost the use of my legs in March and had to be taken to Kings College Hospital by ambulance .... turns out the bulging discs are putting pressure on my spinal cord area but it was not severe enough for them to operate so I am home.

I have just moved GP due to not being able to get a bus to my old friendly GP. I am scared my new GP will not take me seriously. The spasms are driving me loopy at the moment. Currently taking Tramadol and Co-Codamol with Naproxen, and I use my trusty TENS machine but the spasms just will not subdue......

So I just wanted to say hi, ask if anyone had any tips on relieving spasms.......You all have my uttermost respect, FM and other Chronic Illness is debilitating and I am so tiered...... Thank you for reading :-)
plumbchick
UKFM Member

Re: Hi Everyone

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 07, 2013 2:09 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Lauren :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I'm so sorry to hear how things have been for you :blowkiss: :blowkiss: Glad you've decided to take the plunge with your first post :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: There's all sorts of info and advice on here, and for the times we can't help with an answer, there is loads of understanding and support and [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] to help you get thru the FibroDays :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

With your concerns about changing GPs, you could speak to someone at your new surgery and ask if they have any patients with FM registered, or there is a particular GP that has an interest in/deals with chronic pain conditions. If they can't give you a helpful answer, as a very, very general guide, the more recently qualified GPs tend to be much more aware of FM and ways to treat/manage it compared to their older counterparts, altho there are always exceptions to the rules, as well we know :shock: :shock: :shock:

Quite a few of us experience/suffer with spasms in varying degrees on here. For some, a gentle massage~type action on an affected area can help ease it, as can applying warmth directly onto them by using something like hottie botties or the heated wheaty bags that can be zapped in the microwave. For those who find their spasms particularly troublesome, there are meds available to help ease/relax their intensity. You would need to see a GP about the meds option.

Is your Uni aware of your health problems and dx's??? If not, then it could be wise to let them know as thru the Student Disability Adviser you may well be able to access additional help and support for carrying on and completing your course. This can range from being given additional time to complete assignments thru to being able to access additional resoources and equipment, all depending on what you need.

Anything else that you're wondering about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm

:welcome:

We sound like twins in the fibro world :lol: i also have DDD and bulging disks / numb leg / buckling kness and falling from nerve compression :shock: also severe spasms were the bulge is.

I suffer greatly with spasms and end up bedbound for weeks :evil: one of my worst symptoms.

I have a mobile physio she will come out an stretch the muscle thats in spasm to help calm it down plus diazapam and anti-inflammitries.

Ice packs or heat/freeze gel and if you cannot take anti-inflamms then an anti-inflamme gel rubbed over spasm.

Hot baths / massage and lots of rest to help relax the muscle

Spams do take there time especially in fibros as we have chronic stiffness and takes longer for muscle to recover.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 pm

:welcome: to the forum Lauren :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby plumbchick » Tue May 07, 2013 10:19 pm

:-D Many Thanks Guys x Very much appreciated advice, will approach my GP surgery in the morning to ask about a FM/Chronic Pain friendly GP.....

And Thanks for the warm welcome....appreciated by a :oops: person who may not have had the courage to ask other before...now I will :)

Have a great evening and hopefully a restful night everyone
plumbchick
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed May 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi Lauren and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello