[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Newly diagnosed any advice?

Newly diagnosed any advice?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newly diagnosed any advice?

Postby Kate-Maya » Sun May 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Hello everyone :)
I have only been suffering for about 11 weeks and have been diagnosed a couple of days ago. I was offered a type of anti depressant to help me sleep but I have turned it down for now. I am already on citalipram for deppression (have been depressed on and off for years and years) am gradually coming off those now because I feel better (despite the chronic pain and fatigue!) so that's a positive thing and I have been looking forward to being drug free for ages.
Is anyone else trying to battle fibromyalgia drug free? Had any success? Or do you think I'm crazy not to give the drugs a try? It's been a very tough two months but I only take pain killers occasionally now and have already got reasonably good at pacing myself. But I still have a lot to learn and to balance out and it feels like I have a major battle ahead that I am not 100% convinced I can win.
So basicly hello! I'm in search of advice/help/support!
Much love xx
Kate-Maya
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newly diagnosed any advice?

Postby masonsbarms » Sun May 12, 2013 6:28 pm

hi, sorry you have this but as to what to do about it you have made a start by learning to pace,

as to meds we are all difrent with how this affects us and also how we deal with things, i do take a cocktail of meds to get me through the day and i used to think i was weak as some people dont take anything ,

but you need to do what you need to to maintain some life as noemal as can be ,

ask on here for any help of support you need as there wonderful on here.

listen to your body and what you think you need and then do what is nessacery for you,

i hope you find a way that suits you soon

take carexx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sun May 12, 2013 6:32 pm

:welcome: to the forum Kate :cow-wave:

The meds your gp might have wanted to give you could have been Amitriptyline? they are a common starting med used to treat fibro, in a low dose they help with pain and sleep and in higher doses they help with depression. You will find that many fibro sufferers are on 2 types of antidepressants.

Everyone's pain is different and we all cope with it in different ways, i have read on the forum where some members do try to go med free and change their diet but many have to go back to meds because fibro effects the whole body so it can be hard to control the pain.

There are different levels of fibro some people have it mild and can carry on working and living a "normal" life where as others are dependent on medication to get them through the day (like myself) and others are bed bound or in a wheelchair.

It can be a life changing condition and most of us have got worse in time but thats not to say that will happen to you.

Try to keep positive and go for as long as you can without meds, you could try using a Tens machine they really help ease pain and hot water bottles. You could try hot baths and heat pads.
There is lots of info on the forum and if you have any questions just ask or start a new topic :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Kate-Maya » Sun May 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for replying :) yes I think the drug you named is right (I am dyslexic and find names and spelling hard to remember, this is worse now with my cognitive and memory probs, but at least I'm used to dealing with it!) and I was hoping to leave it as a plan b for a while and see how I can get on. I am struggling with work because I waitress and am only mannaging as my boss is understanding and I only do 20 hours anyway. I take a lot of baths with muscle relaxing bath oil which help for a little while, but am just taking it one day at a time other than that!
Thanks again!
Kate-Maya
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Kate-Maya » Mon May 13, 2013 9:15 am

Thought I would do an introduction proppaly as well! My name is Kate maya Forster, I am 27, before this happens to me I was a very active, bubbly and run around type of person. I loved dancing and although I never quite got to proffesisonal level I was quite good. I have always been a waitress by trade.

I would always try to keep fit by goin to the gym, dancing doing pilaties and fitness videos. I can't manage any of that now by I still walk everywhere as I don't drive and I have alwaysed walked so would hate to give it up. I am going to try to take up swimming now. I also love reading, singing (folk especially, LOVE 'Kate Rusby'!) and I also love all kinds of music, nature, films, cooking, and learning things as well.

I feel like a whole different Pearson now, I used to run around be into everything and hardly ever stop, now it's all I can do to stuggle into work and back, well everything feels like an effort actually! But I am lucky that I have a wide range of diverse interest to keep me busy.

I have a positive mental attitude (with a few days of dispear thrown in) and my main concern now is how this will effect my relationship with my fiancé. We are having a long engagement as he is back at Uni we are broke and living with his parants as he can't get a second student lone. He (well we both were) very active adventures people and we were planning to go walk up to maccu pichu before we settler down, we would go on bike rides and lots of walks and just be faced pace resonbly fit ppl an I don't know how he will cope with my new limitations. He is too busy with exams atm to really process this so I will just have to wait and see.

Anyways that's me and a bit of my story. A big hello to all! ;)
Kate-Maya
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kate-Maya » Mon May 13, 2013 9:17 am

I ment fast paced resonbly fit ppl! ;)
Kate-Maya
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Kate, you don't need to worry about things like typos, most of us make them and get stuff jumbled up, yet we still seem to understand what we are saying.

Having FM does turn what you knew as life downside~up and outside~in, and at first it does seem like it's going to rip everythng apart then leave you to try and sort out the shreds it has dumped you with. It doesn't mean that it will all stay like it tho :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: As you learn more about your condition, and start to find things that can help you, things do start to come back together again. It may not be quite how you expected, but there is still pleasure and enjoyment to be had.

Wondering about how your OH may react is a natural thing to do, and you're not alone with this concern. It's another thing that most of us have gone thru and found our way out of it. There is plenty of info on here that you could show to him that often helps non~FMers understand things a little more, so you could use some of that to explain things. As for how he may react to things, I can't help you with that bit I'm afraid :( :( :( :( As you know him well, hopefully you'll have an idea of how he might take things.

At the moment your main focus needs to be finding the right balance of things to get your symptoms more under your control. When you reach that point, hopefully then you'll be able to start looking at the things you are able to do and enjoy and maybe start off with adding some additional activities to what you do. It may not be what you were able to do pre~FM, but it is possible to partake in some activity. I can't say if you will be able to walk up Machu Picchu, but you may find that you are drawn to other places which are more suited to your abilities and limits :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

For now tho, try not to worry about what may happen in the future as it will only add to how you feel. Instead, try to focus on "the now" as that is where you can start to find out and try things that could be helpful for the slightly longer term.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lipz52 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 pm

I find taking a day a a time is best, u never know how u will feel day to day ,i take a mixture of drugs but i do ave other health probs. As for typos forget them that nothing ,its when speaking and u get wrong words which can happen quite often, just laugh it off i do and it keeps my hubby amused anyway ,so at least i keep him laughing .

fibro is a hard thing to deal with and it just takes time to come to terms with it ,if u can. just give it time and hopefully u will find your own way of dealing with it and know ur limits for doing things.

im sorry u have ended up with this horrible condition .

i wish u luck and good wishes

take care

xxxxxxxx
lipz52
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Kate, I'm drug free and work full time, so it is possible to keep going. Diagnosis was well over a year ago, problems date back about 8 or 9 years. Keep the positive mental attitude, it's a huge help, both with FM and depression (which I went through in 2011). Good luck!
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Kate-Maya » Thu May 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks everyone, all very sound advice!
I am taking it a day at a time and trying to focus on the good things I can still enjoy. I am also trying not to get too hung up on the bad days or indeed on the days where I feel overwhelmed and a bit sorry for myself. Got to allow myself time to adjust I guess! Had a bad day emotionally yesterday as had been a bit worse these past five days, but even though I feel the same physically today as I have all week I am feeling much stronger and mentally positive today :-D so swings and rounderbouts I suppose (never really understand that quote as yiu don't get anywhere on either!)
Hope everyone is having a good day!
Kate-Maya
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello