just been diagnosed with fms...hard to take in

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

just been diagnosed with fms...hard to take in

Postby leigh73 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi. Im new to this site. Ive just been diagnosed with fms after several yrs of gp & physio visits. My fms was brought on by a car accident where I was hit from behind. the trauma & stress over sorting this out really took its toll on my mental & physical health. Ive been on so many different painkillers & now been prescribed morphine patches. On one hand im pleased i have been diagnosed as now all the brain fog numbness tingling & pain make sense but on the other hand its hard to accept that this is me for the rest of my life. Hopefully once i get my head round accepting the diagnosis i can start to pace myself so that i can still enjoy life rather fms ruling my life. I dont know maybe im being naive hoping i can still live normally although that thought keeps me going at the moment.
A bit about me. Im 39 & work part time. Im a single parent with 2 children. A 16yr old that has just finished his gcses & a 7yr old that has high functioning autism. Ive tried to explain fms to my closest friends but i can see us drifting apart as they dont understand fms. i hope from this site i can get the support & answers & that i can be strong enough to support future newbies to fms that join the site.
leigh73
UKFM Member

Re: just been diagnosed with fms...hard to take in

Postby Bev2210 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi FM can be difficult to get your head round but you can still lead a fulfilling life rest up as much as possible and don't be afraid to ask for help I hope your friends stick by you - they can be invaluable xx
Bev2210
UKFM Newbie

Postby Tunes » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi. I understand exactly how you feel. Ive had it for 5 years now. And its slowly got worse but im lucky that ive made .myself still live a normal life. Exercise is key. Keep active. Works for me. Ive never told my friends cos it doesnt make any difference. So my husband is the only person who supports me. Even my kids aged 22,19 and 12 never remember and i got fed up reminding them constantly. So i js plod on each day as best i can. But this site is a god send cos everyone on here does understand completly cos they have the same and you learn alot. Hope these replys help you. :-D
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:25 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to our little sanctuary Leigh :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: You'll find lots of info and advice on here as well as support and understanding. There's even a bit of fun at times to help get thru the FibroDays :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Being dx'd with FM can be a bit of a double~edged sword. Whilst having a name for all the things you have been experiencing and living with can help make a bit of sense out of things, as you find out more about the condition and the realisation starts to take hold, it can seem and become very overwhelming and dark. From out of this darkness tho, there are little glimmers of brightness as you learn more about how you are affected and find ways to deal with these things. You may find that you're not able to live a life like you had pre~FM, but it is still possible to have some pleasure and enjoyment along the way, even during the not~so~good times.

Explaining about FM to someone can be difficult as there isn't something that it can be likened to that most people will have experienced. There are some things on here tho that explain what a day can be like for us that can hep people understand a little more. Have a looky at these linkys http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/navig ... Theory.pdf viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4732 and maybe print some info up for people to read and see if it helps. Unfortunately there are always some people who can't or won't accept that it is possible to be affected with a condition like FM regardless of how much info and evidence you put in front of them, and it's only when you find yourself dealing with such a condition that you also find this out about them, so you may find that some will drift away. On the brighter side tho, you may also find that you get support and understanding from some unexpected sources, which could lead to new friendships :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Better :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: off as I've probably waffled on at you enough for tonight :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Anything you want to know about, just ask away and hopefully we'll be able to come up with a helpful reply or 2 for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:25 am

Hi Leigh and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby whoami » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 am

Leigh, welcome.

Let me first tell you that you are not naive in thinking you can have a normal life. Define normal? I was 31, married 6 months when I had an accident at work that triggered fibro. My story is similar to yours. I had a 10 and 9 year old at the time. I really expected to be in a wheelchair if not completely bedridden within the year from what I had read.

That was almost 24 years ago.

Fibromyalgia , what is this? We really do not know. What we do know is that we can and do live very productive, happy, normal lives. Like others , that do not have fibro, our lives did not turn out as we expected.

How our lives turn out depend on us. Depend on our attitude. If we choose to sit back and let fibromyalgia rule us then we will have very sad, boring and resentful lives. If we choose to take control, our lives will be very happy, productive ones.

We learn to adjust...we learn new ways of doing things. We still enjoy our hobbies, our friends, our gardens, our home, our relationships, our family's. We learn about our bodies and how to listen to and respect them.

This journey we travel, is full of pain, agony, disapointment, depression, I could go on. We could decide to let fibro rule us. Or we choose to have a very happy , long, productive life. Our lives with fibro will be what we make them.

There are a lot of caring, understanding people here who can share and help you on your journey. Remember, you are not fibro, fibro does not define you.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby keith42 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:24 am

hi there hun am a single dad of 3 , and have fibro for 3 years now and also work part time things will get better once people understand fibro around you :-D
keith42
UKFM Newbie

Postby leigh73 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:10 am

Thank you for all your advice. Im on tramadol & gabapentin & finally the morphine patches are working. What a huge difference it has made. I now feel i can carry on as was getting so depressed with constant pain everyday. Also found out an aquantance has fibro & has had ut for 13yrs & shes been a great support & understands everything i feel. Ive given the fibro leaflet i was given ay hospital to my family & friends to read as i was getting stressed trying to explain to them my condition & then that made me worse. I too am finding out more of my condition which is helping me. I am struggling with the fatigue & gonna have to give my job up. Only i dont know if i will be entitled to DLA. As i also have injuries from car accident i cant do any physical jobs. Feel like im unemployable.
leigh73
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello