Newby *waves*

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newby *waves*

Postby flowers in the air » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:01 pm

Good evening everyone,

Thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I'm Jem, mum of one, suspected fibro sufferer, restaurant supervisor, batman...
(Shhh, don't tell anyone that last one :lol: )

My GP suspects fibro and has passed me on to a rheumotologist to confirm/deny. That appointment's coming up next week, and any advice anyone might have about what to expect would be very welcome. Any advice in general would probably be welcome, to be honest. I'm lucky in the speed that this has all happened (comparitively) as I only started showing symptoms in February (although severe enough that they landed me in hospital for 5 days) My current GP agreed with my suspicions of fibro immediately, so while I faffed about with one for 3 months coming to very little conclusion, the new one managed to get me a referral within 10 days and a lucky cancellation moved my appointment forward by 6 weeks.

Anyway, hi!!
flowers in the air
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newby *waves*

Postby denys » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi Jem and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: you will probably be asked a lot of questions about how you are feeling etc. and in most cases you will be prodded and poked to check for trigger points. If its fibro they will scrape you off the ceiling and then sent a report with suggestions for medication and other therapies back to your doc at least that is how it went for me and a number of other members seem to have had similar experiences :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you are very lucky to have got through the process so quickly so :fingerscrossed: they manage to help you quickly too :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Newby *waves*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:19 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Jem :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: Wish you were joining us under nicer circumstances :( :(

You've done really well to be able to get an appt so quickly :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Hopefully it will mean you will soon be getting those answers you're desperate for very soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Another new member asked about what is likely to happen when they go and see their rheumy, so here's a copy of what I posted on their topic
FluppyPuffy wrote:There is lots of info about people's experiences when being dx'd across the boards, so maybe having a bit of a look could give you some ideas of what you could expect. They all tend to have their own approaches, so it's difficult to say what exactly will happen :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

As a very, very general guide tho, you will probably be asked about your medical history, family links, the symptoms and problems you have and how they affect you. You may be examined physically, which could include the tender point test. This is where particular areas around your body are touched by the rheumy, and if they feel painful, it can be used as an indicator to FM. Depending on the info they have, and what is said during your appt, you could be given a definite dx there and then, or the rheumy may feel it is necessary to send you for additional tests, scans etc, then give you a dx at a follow~up appt. They may also make suggestions about meds, treatments and/or other therapies that might be helpful to you.

After your appt(s), your GP will be advised of what has been determined and said, then usually you will be discharged back into their care unless the rheumy wants/needs to see you for any further follow~ups.

As I've said, this is just a very, very general idea of what could happen. Between now and your appt, to help with giving as clear a picture of how things are, you might want to consider making some notes about your symptoms, problems etc, maybe even keep a diary for a while. As well as helping explain how things are for you, it can also be used as a reminder for things you want to be sure you tell the rheumy about. You could also write down any questions that you want/need answering, as it's not unusual to forget something you wanted to ask, only to remember it on the way home or something :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: You may also want to consider having someone go with you to the appt, not only for moral support, but an extra pair of ears and eyes can help with remembering what was said, as well as adding in extra info that you may have forgotten or not considered quite relevant.

There is lots of other info and advice on here, so have a a bit of a looky and a read as you find you way around the boards. Anything that you want to know about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello