Newby to site -Need a little advice?!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newby to site -Need a little advice?!

Postby SamanthaT80 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I have taken the plunge & joined this site for advice & to try & stop myself from believing that I am dying. (Harsh words I know but somedays I feel I am).

A little about me, i'm a 33 yr old female with numerous health conditions - PCOS, Underactive thyroid, High BP, Barratts Oesophagus, Hiatus Hernia, Reflux, Depression, Anxiety & panic attacks, tension headaches/migraines & a partridge in a pear tree :lol:

I am currently 3 stone overweight, lost over a stone myself within 12 weeks & was feeling pleasantly happy with myself but started having bad pains in my knees & legs after walking, exercise bike etc took a trip to my GP who sent me for x-ray on my knee which came back clear. Was a bit puzzled by this as the pain was unbearable but thought ok i'll slow it down on the exercise. 2 weeks passed & I went back to my GP as the pains in my calves were excruciating, gave me codeine & to see how I got on but later on down line I may need tests. 2 weeks ago I had to go back to GP the pain is taking over my life, explained everything to him in great detail & he said he thinks it maybe Fibromyalgia & has referred me to a Rheumatologist.
I see Rheumatologist 16th September, I know it don't seem a long way off but i'm sure you all agree when your in pain it seems to take forever to see a professional, to suffer with the pain is so not fair.
Today I had to get an emergency app with my GP as I feel so unwell, early hours of morning I thought I would have to wake my Husband & get him to take me to Hospital. I hardly slept a wink & got myself in such a state I started panicking, terrible thoughts going through my mind.
The main problem is my legs, from the knee down, shooting pains in legs, tight calves (as if I've run a marathon) aching feet,fluttering sensations through legs, throbbing feet & hands which seem like they are burning, really restless, have to keep moving my bottom half of body. Is this a sign of Fibromyalgia?? I am exhausted constantly, have been since I got diagnosed with Thyroid problems few years ago, my depression seems to be spiralling out of control. My GP thoroughy checked me over this morning & advised me to try & be calm, BP was ok etc etc I just feel totally unwell.
I would be so much better if I knew what I was dealing with, GP has now planted a seed in my head saying Fibromyalgia, I know I should wait & see a Consultant first about this but was just wondering if anyone else experiences these symptoms & how they cope??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Sam.
SamanthaT80
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newby to site -Need a little advice?!

Postby denys » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:02 pm

You will appreciate that we aren't qualified to say whether or not you have FM but the symptoms you are describing sound familiar therefore it is a possibility.

The problems with your legs sound similar to restless legs and the doc can help you with that, tell the rhuematologist but if it becomes unbearable or your anxiety levels continue to rise then visit your GP in the mean time and they can help.

Most of us have gone through the 'there must be something seriously wrong with me' thoughts and it takes time to accept that there isnt so you aren't unusual with that :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you get some answers soon
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby SamanthaT80 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi Denys,

Thanks for getting back to me - I understand that nobody can diagnose me :cry:

I asked my GP today if it could be Restless Legs & he said No, due to the amount of pain i'm having with them. Also made him aware of how anxious etc I am right now with not knowing what's happening to me right now.

Think I was just wanting some feedback on how other people cope & what pains they experience & what they do to try alleviate it to a degree.

Thanks again :-P
SamanthaT80
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: Sam and :welcome: to the forum.

Sorry to hear what you're experiencing, and I wish I could give you a definite answer as to what it is that is affecting you. I can understand why you would feel so much better knowing what is behind your symptoms, unfortunately that needs to be done by the rheumy when you have your appt. As you know have a possible name for it tho, you could try regarding it as "Suspected Fibromyalgia". I know it;s not a definite name, but would at least mean you have something to potentially research and try to find ways to manage until you have it officially dx'd.

Reading what you have said about your legs, RLS was the first thing that popped into my mind as well. RLS can be an associated condition of FM, so with you potentially having FM, it could possibly be something that has tagged along as well. You could always add it to things that you want to ask the rheumy about and see what they think about the possibility of you having that as well.

Getting into a panic/anxious~like state can add intensity to physical symptoms, so what your GP said about trying to stay calmer is sensible advice. Is there something you can do to try and distract yourself from things, even for a short while?? For some of us, warmth can help make things feel a touch less intense, and a little more relaxed, so something like a soak in the bath with some nice bubblies and smellies can be quite theraputic. Also, for areas that are feeling particularly bad, heat from something like the wheaty bags that can be zapped in the mikey or even a hottie bottie wrapped in a towel can help ease things to an extent.

There is lots of other info and advice across the boards, maybe start by having a look on the Hints/Tips On Coping board, there are many suggestions from members about things they have found helpful, you could find some ideas to try out :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:41 pm

:welcome: to the forum Sam :cow-wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello