Hello - New to FM eeek

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello - New to FM eeek

Postby mariax » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Hello All,
Thought I'd say hi and see if anyone could offer me any advice or tips on how to get my life back!

My names Maria and I'm 20, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few months ago and its slowing taking over my life... :yikes:
I'm getting full blown flare ups every sorta 6-8 weeks but keeping having 'off days' more and more frequency - Absolutely drained of all energy , dull aching all over but sharp pains on movement, pins and needles and muscle weakness, so sore to any sort of pressure.

GP thinks this is stress related: My Mum is terminally ill, I work full time and I am self-employed trying to build up my business .
My boyfriend & family are very supportive which is a great help but I constantly feel guilty that sometimes I can't physically drag myself up to do anything, when my Mum has worked through all her chemo!

My 'Friends' don't get it and get frustrated when I cancel, I'm supposed to be starting an accounting qualification soon, but I'm struggling as it is and I feel that my life is a constant juggling act...

How does everyone manage? Is there anything I can do to minimise the FM symptoms or anything that helps?

I currently take tramadol and amitriptyline when needed but I can't work when I take these as I'm too spaced out (but FM effects my concentration too)!

Anyways It would be nice to talk to people who understand how this feels!
Thanks, Maria :-?
mariax
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello - New to FM eeek

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:36 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Maria :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I'm sorry to hear about your mum :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: With what you've said, there could very well be something in what your GP has said wrt stress. Stress is one of the things that FM loves to feed off as it makes it easier to get it's fingers hooked into you tightly :shock: :shock: :shock: Add in the more usual day~to~day worries we tend to have, along with a few extras like trying to build up a business and starting a course, and FM will sit there, rubbing its hands together in glee at what it has found.

Unfortunately most of us have come across those sorts of "friends" who won't and don't want to try and understand how things can be for us. If you want to have a go at trying to explain things to them agaon, there are some topics on here that may help. This one is The Spoon Theory and this one is One To Show The Non Believers Printing them up and letting people read them at their own rate can sometimes help them realise just how much FM does impact on your daily life. If it doesn't help tho, it will say far more about them than it does about you :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

When it comes to coping and managing FM, we all tend to have our own little ways to do that. There little ways do tend to come from some common roots tho, which is where everyone starts from.

It is important to learn to listen to what your body is telling you and to go with these "messages". Your limits and capabilities will have changed from what they were preFM, so you have to work within them to try and keep things as stable as you can. It's quite usual to find that you can't do something for as long as you could previously and that you need a longer rest between doing things before you feel able to tackle something else.

WRT meds, a lot of the ones we take are more effective when taken regularly, esp the likes of amitriptyline as that needs time to build up in your system, then when it reaches that limit, taking it every night will keep it at that effective level which will hopefully mean it will work to its optimum potential for you. If you take it on an "as needed" basis, it will mostly be building up levels again rather than working at its best to help you. Amitriptyline is known for its morning~after zombification effects unfortunately, but some have found that taking it at a particular time each day can help reduce this. Taking it 2~3 hours before going to bed is one way that might make a difference, as can taking it about 12 hours before you will be getting up the following day. It needs a bit of twiddling around with, but it can ease things to a degree. Alternatively, you could swap to a similar med that tends to have less side effects. Unfortunately, it's a case of trial and error sprinkled with a good coating of patience when it comes to finding what will help you as we're all very, very different in the way we are affected :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: There are other meds that can be tried as well, this Linky tells you about some of them, and it's not unusual to find yourself on a varied cocktail to try and help with things.

Have a looky and a ready across the boards as they are packed with all sorts of info and advice. One of the boards is dedicated to various things members have found helpful for them. Having a looky on there may give you some ideas of things to try out.

Anything that you want to know about, asking a specific question about it tends to bring a mix of suggestions that you could look into further to see if they can help you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dolphintara » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 pm

hi everyone

with your last reply there fluppy can you take amytrilyne in the morning ,instead of the evenings as my pain is in the day , even tough it is at night , could you say take 7am and then 10 pm at night , I am on 100mg as it is so was wondering if I could take 50mg twice a day , sorry for the questions

take care ,

I must say though when legs and fingers are on the nhs for new 1s im first in queue lol
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 pm

dolphintara wrote:with your last reply there fluppy can you take amytrilyne in the morning ,instead of the evenings as my pain is in the day , even tough it is at night , could you say take 7am and then 10 pm at night , I am on 100mg as it is so was wondering if I could take 50mg twice a day ,

I suppose it would be possible, altho with it being used for sleep as well as pain, it could make you feel much groggier during the day, and may not be as effective at night.

The best thing is to talk to your GP as they will be able to give you advice that is specific just to you about any possible issues there could be with splitting the dose.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 am

Hi Maria and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello