Hi there

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi there

Postby mynameissharon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi everyone
Just popping in to say hello and hoping to be able to pick up some hints/advice etc while here.

As you can probably guess I'm called Sharon, am in my mid 40s and just recently been given a diagnosis of FM; well when I say I was given the diagnosis I was told in a round about way??

I've been suffering increasing levels of pain over the last couple of years, to the point where some days I'm so bad I cannot pick up a kettle, any pressure on my joints is agony and my joints sometimes feel like they are so stiff that my bones are about to snap in half! I also had a period of depression where I was prescribed antidepressants - at the time I felt that the depression was caused by situational stuff (crap things happening in life)

Doc very supportive and had me trying various meds; doing lots of blood tests and sent me to physio (sorry but this was very unhelpful); and eventually referred me to rheumatology and I was delighted as I thought they would xray me/give me some answers; the consultant basically confirmed what GP had said blood tests were clear and not indicative of arthritis (which I was obvioulsy pleased about); he then pointed to my period of depression and the fact that I had put on some weight (which I have since stopping smoking 18 months ago - but am not obese) - he basically told me that "this happens when you get depressed and put on weight" and to go lose weight and do some low impact exercise :( I was devastated - felt like he'd just sent me away calling me a fat mad old woman!

Following this my mood plummted further, it had already been starting to dip but this really upset me; I plucked up the courage to go see my GP this week; who thankfully is so understanding and supportive; she knew immediately when I walked in that I was sinking back into depression; I had also taken time to write out exactly the pain I was feeling along with my moods; she checked the letter from the rheumatolgist and told me he had said in letter I had FM - why on earth couldnt he have said that at my appointment - why leave me feeling so low about myself and my situation - did he think I was stupid and couldnt understand or does he not beleive the condition exists!

Currently starting back on my antidepressants; on gabapentin (may ask for increased dose); paracetamol or cocodamol depending on severity of pain; dihyhdroclorine(sp?) for when I cant sleep with the pain and diflonec.

Phew good to get that off my chest! I would like to start exercising (to lose some of that weight but also because I know that inactivity can also aggravate my symptoms - sometimes just as badly as over doing things!) Does anyone have any ideas?

I also work full time as a manager in a charity but havent yet told anyone there of my diagnosis - kind of scared that folk will think I am making it up and that it isnt a "real" illness?

thanks for listening
Sharon :-)
mynameissharon
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hi there

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:27 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily Sharon :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Wish it was under nicer circumstances that you found your way to us :( :( :( And I also wish I could say that the way you finally found out the name for condition was an unusual one, but for some reason, Rheumys are quite often a law unto themselves, doing and saying things with what seems to have very little thought for the patient behind them :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Your GP sounds like the sort everyone could do with as, just as with Rheumys, there are some very naff and dismissive GPs when it comes to FM :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Glad you feel better for getting things off your chest :-D :-D :-D :-D There is a lot of support on here, as well as understanding, plenty of [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] and a bit of fun along the way as well :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: The boards are packed with all sorts of info and advice.

Exercise wise, the best approach tends to be one where you start off very gently with doing something and very very steadily increase how much you do over a suitable period of time. You'll find that your capabilities and limits have changed, so you'll probably find you're unable to do things at the rate you could pre~FM, if you try, it may well result in things flaring up and biting you in the bum :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Doing things at a more suitable pace will hopefully help reduce the chances of you feeling such effects to such an extent :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

It can be a bit of a toughie trying to decide if you should tell your employer about having FM, there are people who are dismissive of FM and regard it as a made~up condition. There are others tho, who are accepting of it and how it can affect you, and these people can often prove to be very understanding and supportive.

Think I've waffled on at you for enough for now :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I blame the FM for making me do that :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout:

Anything you want to know about, just ask away. There tends to be someone not too far away with a reply, advice and :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:03 am

Hi Sharon and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: Dont worry about Fluppy's waffling (we are used to it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) in amongst it all she always has some excellent help and advice and can find out some amazing linky's to helpful sites so she's good to have by your side :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mynameissharon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:56 pm

thanks for the welcome guys, seems like there is lots of info on here that will be useful for me. Still trying to come to terms with this at the moment; finding it hard to tell anyone just now - cannot face the cynics who think its made up
Will keep dipping in for helpful tips and advice xx
mynameissharon
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Dont worry about the cynics Sharon, in some cases people have their minds firmly closed against this condition and nothing anyone says or does will alter their perception. So its not worth wasting our time trying :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mynameissharon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:53 pm

thank you Denys; decided to tell my manager today; guess I am lucky that the line of work I am in people are a bit more open/empathetic about conditions; I know though that underneath he is in a panic incase I go off sick (I am the overall service manager) and he is left to deal with all the stuff I do! Did reassure him that it is likely that I've actually had this for the last couple of years with little adverse effect on my work and not going to let it beat me now! It has just given me a sense of relief to be honest that I'm not going mad...the tears, lows in mood, real difficulty in concentration, losing words, extreme exhaustion and excruciating pain - all now have a name to them! So hopefully he does realise when I start to stare blankly/yawn uncontrollably etc in meetings I'm (usually ;-) ) not indicating my boredom!

I just now need to work out a way in which to manage my symptoms and let me live my life!
Sharon x
mynameissharon
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello