Hello, I'm new

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello, I'm new

Postby Untamed » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Hello
My name is Untamed, but feeling rather tamed at the moment! I was diagnosed early on this summer which in a way was a relief that I could put a name to all the trouble I am having, but also a massive disappointment when I felt completely cut loose by the rheumatologist ("you have fibromyalgia, you'll have to cope with it") and discovered my GP is not very clued up on the condition.

I have three children (20, 18 and 16) who are a wonderful help to me, 2 pet pigs (!), 2 sheep, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a horse. Sadly riding is out at the moment but she gives me a lot of mental support, as do all my animals (I suspect they are all as mad as me!). I used to be one of those people who was always active (we have 14 acres) and working long days quite happily. Now all I can manage is a morning of light duties then it's on the sofa in the afternoon or listening to the afternoon play in the bath.

Learning to accept my situation is proving to be one of the hardest things. I suspect I have had FM for years but 'worked' through the symptoms to a certain extent. It was when my Naturapath warned me that my body was at the point of shut down (I have lost a lot of weight) that I have had to listen and learn to pace myself and completely rearrange my life. At least the tiredness and pills knock the edge of the frustration as I feel sometime I could scream.

All I can say is, thank goodness for these forums. Now I know I am not going mad and there are others out there who feel just the same way as me and offer good advice and help.
Untamed
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello, I'm new

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:41 pm

:welcome: to our little escape from it all Untamed :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

You're in good company on here, a lot of us are owned by an assortment of furryends who, like your :horse_running: :sheep: :pigoink 1: :dogrun1: :cat1: find that help us in ways we never thought they would :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: I think you're the first with :sheep: :sheep: and :pigoink 1: :pigoink 1: furryends tho :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Are the :pigoink 1: the smaller type or a rare breed???

Finding yourself cut loose by the rheumy isn't unusual, sadly :( :( :( A lot of them, once they've confirmed/given you the dx discharge you back into the care of GP with very little, if any really helpful info about the condition :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: And not all GPs are as aware/clued up about FM either, which means it can be the blind leading the blind :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Hopefully tho, with you joining us, you'll be able to find out more about the condition and how it affects you, then be able to use it to help train your GP to become supportive, understanding, and informed about things :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Learning to accept that FM is with you for the long haul is hard, and it can't be rushed either :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: It needs as long as it needs for you to get there, and it will be a bit bumpy along the way, but you will get there. And with us guiding you and cheering you along, it will either be :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: when you get there, or we will have driven yo completely :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: and you'll have joined us in LaaLaaLand where we all live in little toadstool houses :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

We try to offer all members of our FibroFamily support and understanding when they need it, as well as sharing our experiences in the hope that they will be of help to others. We also try to have a bit of fun along the way, and when all else fails there is always [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate]

Anything you want to know about, just ask away and we'll try and point you in the direction of a hopefully useful answer :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Untamed » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Many thanks for that. It is always good to know there are people out there who are feeling the same way.

My dear little piggies are Kune Kune's - the small round fat type - a rare breed from New Zealand. They are a complete joy and mostly very well behaved (they sit for their breakfast and love extra strong mints!). I used to have a herd of British Saddleback pigs (the black and white ones) which were a lovely breed but the work got too much for me and I had to sell them sadly. The sheep are the last remnant of a larger herd - the two girls have been with us from the start (as week-old orphans) and are now elderly ladies with, again, a love of extra strong mints!!

thanks for your message of hope - I know I will have to persevere and I will get more help if I ask for it - and keep asking for it!!
Untamed
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ashton » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi .sorry you are having a hard time.but you are not alone and this site is fab .people who understand and don't judge.im glad you get comfort from your pets.i was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid .cfs and fibro given a leaflet and shown the door in July this year.i to am finding it hard to accept and cope with the limitations it's put on my life.we had planned to sell up and buy a smallholding in wales but there is now way I could cope now,it's like all plans and dreams are gone.but there are good times to be had and I try to take pleasure in the things I used to be to busy to notice like watching the wood pecker in the garden.hang on in there. :-D
Ashton
UKFM Member

Postby Untamed » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks Ashton. I know what you mean - certainly, with life slowing down, it's amazing what you see that you would otherwise ignore in your haste. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles but it does seem to me you have a positive attitude which will certainly see you through many a tough time. I was told a long time ago to make somebody smile everyday and pick out something beautiful that you can remember in the evening (a bit of a challenge during the 'fog' days!) - it'll make your day that little bit brighter. It certainly works when I remember to do it and I seem to find wonderful things in the most ordinary of situations.

Keep the dream - just shrink it a bit and see what your garden can do for you. The pleasure I get from picking a few runner beans is far better than mending a fence or wondering when the water troughs are going to thaw............. !
Untamed
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello