New to the forum, Old to Fibro

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New to the forum, Old to Fibro

Postby Lucyhobbit » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I have had Fibro since I was a 19 year old teenager, almost 20 years ago, at the time it was almost unheard of in anyone under the age of 50 and a lot of doctors didn't even believe it existed. There was limited support for a youngster like me, and in the end I just learned to get on with it and manage as best I can (and adapt stuff). I have had countless bursts of depression, when everything has become too much to bear but eventually I've picked myself up and carried on battling. I managed to get my teaching degree and taught small children for about 15 years. I left work for a non-fibro reason, and now concentrate on being a full time mum (to my adorable toddler) and running my own small business.

Over this last year my fibro symptoms have been more prevalent and a hell of a lot more painful! And I've now reached the point that I'm fed up with being the only person I know with fibro. I have great support from family and friends, but as lovely and supportive as they are, they can't fully understand how I'm feeling. My rheumatologist is looking at trying to get me more support as she runs a fibro clinic elsewhere, and she has referred me to physio too. So I've decided that I should actively start looking at ways to manange my symptoms and connect with others - so here I am (be gentle with me - everything hurts) and I hope to make many new friends.
Lucyhobbit
UKFM Newbie

Re: New to the forum, Old to Fibro

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Lucy :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Hope you'll enjoy being part of our FibroFamily. As well as sharing info and advice, we all seem to be able to understand what others are going thru and try to support each other thru those times when a few more :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: are needed to :grouphug: :grouphug:

It is difficult for those around us to understand just what we go thru each day :( :( It seems to be because there isn't something that they will have experienced that can be used as an example to give them a better idea. There are a couple of topics on here that do a really good job of explaining things tho, maybe have a looky at This and/or This to see if they might help those around you have a clearer idea of what the days can be like for you.

Your rheumy sounds like the sort we could all do with being in the care of, pity we can't be her cyber patients :( :( :( Anything you want to know about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby seamonkey » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:33 pm

Hello from me, I joined this forum just a few weeks ago for the same reasons as you, i was sick of not knowing anyone or indeed anything about fibro other than my own problems. I was given a diagnosis just 4 months ago from my pain clinic dr he mentioned it kind of in passing and i was so shocked i didnt ask him anything other than would it go away.
I have 4 children aged 15 14 12 and 8. They are great and keep me going. I work 25 hours a week and i love it but some days it is a thought at having to go in. I have had a back op and have scoliosis of the spine which makes it quite idfficult to know what is fibro and what is back?
I hope you are having a good day and i too would like to meet friends who know what it is like and can understand.
take care,
seamonkey
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi Lucy and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello