not quite diagnosed yet

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

not quite diagnosed yet

Postby megx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:40 am

Hi all,

I'm 32 and in June this year I've been diagnosed with Hypermobility Syndrome. I was send to see physio, gym and OT but even that I was getting all the right treatment I was feeling worse and worse and two days ago I was told that I might also suffer from FM or ME or both. My GP wanted to put me on amitriptyline which I refused. I suffered from depression and anxiety in the past and I know how antidepressants affect me. I do appreciate that this drug is being prescribed in small dose but it does build up in the system and I’m not willing on risking change of personality again. My GP is very understanding and knowing my history he gave me prednisolone. He explained that it's only for a period of 4 weeks to see how this drug will affect me and this will help with final diagnosis of FM.
I haven't got the tablets yet as dispensary didn't have them in stock, so I thought I do some reading and I'm terrified! The side effect are horrendous! I know it's only for a moth but steroids have always long term effect on the body (I know what happens with me after hydrocortisone injections :( )
Is this really the only way of diagnosis for FM? Can you suggest anything else that could be done without unnecessary medication?
I should add that during a process leading to my hypermobility diagnosis, things like arthritis, rheumatism etc. have been ruled out that's why based on my symptoms GP thinks is FM.

Thank you for reading x
megx
UKFM Newbie

Re: not quite diagnosed yet

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:54 am

My diagnosis came based on GP looking at history and doing blood tests, the trigger point test, and then separate referrals to a physio, rheumatologist and neurologist who all confirmed FM (after more blood tests, X-rays and other stuff). At no point was any medication suggested before the diagnosis, and after diagnosis medication has only ever been discussed as an option if I want it, never as a necessity. I am not currently on any prescribed medication.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: not quite diagnosed yet

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:31 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to to the forum. Sorry to hear it could be possible you have FM, CFS/ME or both :( :(

The usual diagnostic method for FM involves details of patient history, tests and scans as necessary to check for/rule out other conditions which share the same sorts of symptoms and problems as FM, the Tender Point Test being carried out, altho not in all cases.

When it comes to meds, some docs may make suggestions about things to try during the dx~ing process to try and make things more comfortable, then make any changes needed once something definite has been discovered/dx'd. Others will only start meds off once a definite dx is in place, they all vary in their approach unfortunatly :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: But whenever meds are discussed, it should be done so you are aware of all the options available to you rather than being told that you are having this med prescribed and you will take it.

With any med, even something simple like paracetamol, there is always the possibility that side effects can occur, some of which are minor and short lived, all the way thru to more serious ones. It doesn't mean that you will be affected by them, or there may be just one or 2 that bother you, but the only way you'll know is to try and keep your mind open and give them a go.

There are some who are able to manage their condition without using prescribed meds, it all comes down to how you feel and how you are able to manage with your intensities and pain levels etc. With something like FM, we're all very different in the way we are affected and each need to find what is right for us. Whatever approach someone tries out, not incl the illegal ones, there is support for them, and if things don't turn out quite as expected or hoped, there are always plenty of :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: as well as advice and suggestions about other options to try instead.

Prednisolone isn't something that is normally used for FM, so there isn't an awful lot of info about how it may help, or or may not help, depending on how things go :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Sorry I can't be of much more help at the moment :-? :-? :-? :-? Whatever way you decide to try out :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: and there is usually someone not too far away on here who will gladly lend an ear or a shoulder if you need it as you try to find your way thru things :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello