Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Dj 73 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 am

Hi, my name is Donna,

I recently visited the rheumatology department and happily they told me I didn't have rheumatoid arthritis but said its fibromyalgia! Lesser of two evils?
I'm just waiting for my antibody results to come back to me before I contact the doctor to see where I go from here.

My symptoms have been gradually getting worse over the last two years, can't pin point really when they started. I work as a carer in the community and it's starting to hinder my job! Never had time off through this but sometimes I could cry with the pain, mine is all over but a lot in my hips, affecting my walking!

I'm finding it difficult to except that with all this pain there's nothing to be found that causes it??? I'm trying to convince myself that's it's something else they've missed!

Today, the pain is in my neck and shoulders, I'm sat on the bed.....I'm supposed to be at work in the next half hour.....struggling to contemplate getting dressed.

Atm I'm taking 30mg of amitriptyline at night which helps keep me asleep, in the day I'm on co dydramol but they are working less now, only keeping pain slightly at bay for hour and half. I've found a box of tramadol and found it works better but have to make an appointment with doc before he will prescribe it! It's difficult for me to find time for an appointment what with my work!

Any advice you guys have will be greatly appreciated,

I'm feeling really p***ed off today. :scream-1:
Dj 73
UKFM Member

Re: Newbie

Postby debsmith » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:12 am

Hia donna me to recently diagnosed with fibro and arthritis of right hip! I too have struggled trying to come to terms with it all! I work aswell and also finding each day getting harder! I don't know if it will help but I'm on pregablin it takes edge off only tho 50mg am,s and 100 at night along with anatriptiline,co-codimal + BuTrans patches without these I wouldn't b able to get out of bed let alone work I used to do care work, I'm yet to inform boss pooping it tbh! Have u tried the heat pads? U buy in chemist? They r quite good stick on ur body part that hurts the most with fibro ????? !!!! I feel ur pain and stress but try and b calm atherwize u will feel worse, painclinic eventualy diagnosed me but hav appt with rhumi in january too no idea what they do either,this website is great I'm so glad I found it so many people with this B@@@H of a thing!!! Sending hugs ( gentle ones ) debbie xxx :hugs: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 am

:welcome: to our sanctuary Donna :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I know you've said it's difficult to find time for a Drs appt, but with you finding your current meds less effective, it sounds like it's something you need to make the time to do. If not, and you keep pushing on with how things are at the moment, it will come back and bite you on the bum Big Style :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I've had similar times over the years, and shouldn't really have much of a bum left with the number of times it has been savaged :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

This linky explains about some of the Meds used to try and manage FM, so have a looky, then talk to your GP about what might be suitable to try. In the meantime, whilst you're waiting to see your GP, you could have a word with your friendly neighbourhood pharmacist about otc meds might be suitable to add to what you're currently on to try and bring you a little more easing.

Applying heat, as debbie has suggested, can be beneficial, so might be worth trying out. Alternatively, if you find cooler things have a better effect, try them and see how you go on. For some, the gel rubs can help, such as the ones containing ibuprofen or, if something more natural is preferred, arnica.

There is lots of info and advice across the boards, so have a bit read as you find your way around the place. And anything you want to know about, just ask, and we'll try to help you with it :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Dj 73 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Thank you for the kind welcome fluppypuffy and Debbie!

Yeah, heat does help, I like my hot baths but the cold I really can't tolerate, dreading winter time!

Funny you should mention pharmacists......I asked one the other day if I could take ibuprofen with my co dydramol.........she didn't know!!! :shock: but I did anyway :lol: it did help a little longer some what, like I said I'm just waiting for these last blood results then I think me and the doc are gonna have to have a little talk!

Has anyone tried acupuncture, does it help for fm? The rheumatologist said I should have regular physio but someone I know has fm and said they can't have it as it doesn't suit her type of fm??

I'm still quite confused over all this.....I just keep thinking ' I'm 40 for christs sake'! I look after 90 year olds in better nik than me! :lol:
Dj 73
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi Donna and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello