[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - NEWBY

NEWBY

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

NEWBY

Postby a.lyndon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi,
I have just recently joined the forum and have found it extremely helpful. It's nice to know that there are other people out there who understand what we're going through. :-)

I am currently off work due to the FM and hobbling around on a stick. I have been prescribed Amytriptaline for the pain, and to get my sleep pattern back on track. I saw my G.P. last week to try and get some painkillers but they won't give me any as they don't want the problem of trying to get me off them. Have to carry on taking Paracetamol. :roll:

I have struggled coming to terms with the debilitating illness, and only last week have been very low in mood and tearfull. I was diagnosed in February this year after seeing a professor privately, as my G.P's were not really interested in giving me a diagnosis and thought it was strange that I wanted a name for the pain I had been experiencing for many years. I needed a diagnosis because I needed to know how the pain and fatigue was going to affect me long term and what impact it was going to have on my job. Dr's didn't seem to get it.

It was having quite an impact on me at work to the point that I couldn't do it any more, so after seeing an occupational health Dr, it was agreed that I would be re-deployed into an admin roll.

I am better in my new job but even then I'm struggling. My work colleges are understanding, so quite lucky really and they help me when I need them to. I try and stay up beat the best I can but sometimes I get this overwhelming feeling that just takes over.

Any words of wisdom from anyone would be great.

Ally : ;-)
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Re: NEWBY

Postby katymunro » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi there,
It is always a mixed blessing to get a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Part relief and part heart sinking as it may seem a daunting thing to cope with. There is hope though. I have seen and treated many fibro sufferers in the past few years and almost all of them have improved a lot once they have worked out what personally helps them. I always recommend starting with the Pain toolkit by Pete Moore. www.paintoolkit.org, read around about fibro but beware the horror stories. Flares come and go -rest when you are in flare. The late Prof Davies was very adamant about resting.
There are some leaflets on this forum to look at too which I wrote. Magnesium can be very helpful for some people.
Keep up the dialogue with your GP.
Good luck
Katy Munro GP
katymunro
UKFM Newbie

Postby a.lyndon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks Katy,

I'm sure that will be very useful. I will try the magnesium too to see if it makes a difference.

:-D
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:37 pm

hay welcome to the family.first off have u thought of changing dr .this is something u may have for live so u need a dr who understands u and will give you pain killers.i dont no if your in the uk but here the dr im registers with isn't the dr i see for my fibro.in fact i never see my real dr as we dont get on.and id only ever want to see my dr as he is a real fibro fighter and belive just how painful it really is.so thats what id tell you to try.gentle hugsxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby a.lyndon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi,

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I am in Worcestershire and I have thought of changing GP. Just not sure because I may end up with the same problem. I do intend to see a different GP within the practice and ask to be referred to a physio to see if that helps in any way, so I'll try her with the painkiller thing.

Ally
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi Ally, sometimes you no you have to be a bit pushie and tell the dr u want something or your just end up back at her door.u shouldn't have to sit in pain everyday.i no it might not be in your nature but try being abit more forceful with a smile. sometimes you have to go in there telling them how it is not the other way round sadly hehe.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby debsmith » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Hia I had trouble with a few dr,s who were quite dismissive!! Its very frustrating! And I would request to b refered to a pain clinic hun I had awful problems for 5/6 years I knew sumthing was wrong no one listened!!! I also have calpol tunnel+tennis elbow in both recent op on right but thumb not good!!! And S1/L5,degenerative disc,siatica, now also rhumatoid arthritis of knee hun u know ur body and that's that I agree u have to b fairly firm as soooooooo many dr,s are dismissive my physio even told me its in ur head seriously!!!!! Fibro is awful + unless u have it ur self they have no idea! Go back and see a doc u get on with I'm with a practise and not 1 of them picked up on it nor did they care til a new dr joined then bingo! + seeing a rhumi good luck hun xxx :hugs: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:53 am

:welcome: to the forum Ally :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Sorry to hear what your GP is like, having a decent GP can make all the difference when it comes to something like FM. Sadly it's not an unusual position to find yourself in :( :( :( :(

Have you thought about asking your current surgery if they have any other patients registered that have FM, or even CFS/ME or other similar conditions. If there are, you could then ask if there is a particular GP that they tend to see, and depending on the answer, make an appt to see them.

Or if you're wanting to change surgery, give the ones in your area a call and ask them the same sorts of questions to see if it helps with finding a more helpful GP.

Wrt pain relief at the moment, have you thought about having a talk with your local pharmacist?? They may be able to suggest something else, either instead of or as well as, the paracetamol. You could also try applying warmth to particularly affected areas, it's something a lot of us do and it can help ease things a little. The wheaty bags that can be zapped in the mikey are useful, and so is a good old hottie bottie. You could have a bit of a look into TENs machines and see if one might be helpful for you. These are things a lot of us have in our kitbags to help with getting thru each FibroDay.

Here is the to the info sheets Dr Munro mentioned. They're certainly a very interesting read, and have some useful info in them.

Anything else that you want to know about, either have a look round the forum, or ask about it as it doesn't usually take too long for someone to :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: along with a reply :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby a.lyndon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support. Really appreciated :-D

Ally
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

New to this Group,

Postby Mistey21 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 am

Hi i am a 54 Year Old Woman i was diagnosed wit Fibromyalgia 13 Years ago,
it was hell at first, then over the years i wasnt too bad, i work full time, the last two years has been hell for me, i just dont know who to turn to next, i lost my son 7 months ago, he was 30. then mother in law died six weeks later, then me and hubby seperated after 33 years . my Fibro kicked off i have never experienced so much pain so badly like this before headaches, Depression really bad.
i moved to a different area, so changed doctors, i am Allergic to quite a lot of talbets, think i have tried every pain killer going.
i was on tramodol for the pain but they did not help much, the doctor put me back on anti inflamatories which did help a lot, but they really did give me a lot of pain in mt stomach. i was really annoyed with this new doctor she said what do you want me to give you . you have tried most talbets. you must try and lose weight that might help you, ( well when i get out of my depression i will get my head together. ).
i dont know how much longer i can cope with this pain and headaches, and depression, she did give me Prozac 20mg to start am on 40 now but still not feeling any better. am at my wits end.

Mistey.
Mistey21
UKFM Newbie

Postby debsmith » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 am

Hia misty
Firstly I'm so very sorry for your loss of your son and mother in law I can't imagine how u must b feeling :( :( with regards to ur doc! Every 1 here has seen doc,s who are not listning or understands grrrrr!!! Can u try a diff doc? Then request to b refered to pain clinic @ ur local hospital? Some are good sum not its ur body and u know how u feel write a list b4 u go! And if that doc hopeless call the manager and request to see 1 that does care hunni its awful being in pain and no doubt regarding ur awful losses its poss triggered a flare big time poor u sending soft huggies 2u xxxxx
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby a.lyndon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 am

I'm sorry you've had and are having such a rough time. Your GP sounds awful. Maybe try a different one. I found that if I keep going back they eventually listen.

Maybe you could ask to be referred to a Rhuematologist, someone who understands the condition more thoroughly. Even councelling could be quite beneficial for you. Fibro sufferers do have a lot of other problems which are linked with the Fibro.

Ally
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi to all the newbies I may have missed :welcome: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello