[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Diagnosis

Diagnosis

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diagnosis

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Not been on forum for a while (hope im allowed back). At rheumatologist today and more or less said pain is fibromyalgia. Unfortunately he could offer no other help. Drat. Duloxitine helped to begin with but not now and gabapentin, pre-gablin, nefopam no help. So feeling a tad disheartened. Have an appointment for a TENS machine at end of month have people found this helpful?? I did wonder about going private for acupuncture if any found it helpful. So I am feeling very disheartened today but moan over for now.
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Re: Diagnosis

Postby a.lyndon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi,

My Rheumatologist (can't spell ha ha!) suggested hydrotherapy. I haven't gone to hydrotherapy yet but if my symptoms get any worse then will consider. Swimming also is beneficial apparently. I'm just waiting for a good spell before I take that challenge.

At least you have your diagnosis now, so you can concentrate on looking and asking around for other ways of dealing with the pain.

Ally
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi Dotty Lotty :welcome: back :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:54 pm

:welcome: back Dotty Lotty :cow-wave: :cow-wave: Glad you've finally got a dx.

I have a TENs machine and it has become my best friend. As well as doing the usual TENs~type stuff, when it's plugged in, it also has heat and massage options which help with easing things a bit. Here's the linky to the I have. There are quite a lot of different ones available, so if you do decide to go for one, try and find out about the ones you're interested in, talk to staff where they are sold, even try contacting your local physio dept/people and see if they have any recommendations/suggestions.

I've also just completed 6 acupuncture sessions, and am now waiting for appts to come thru for some top~up sessions, as I found it wonderful. It didn't help with my FM~related pain levels, but it has made a big difference to my IBS, from bloating thru to how things move :oops: :oops: :oops: The reduction in bloating has helped reduce the pulling and tension on my lower back, which has made things a lot more comfortable. And it has given me a much more settled feeling in myself which has meant that, even tho I'm still hurting and not getting much :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: at the moment, I'm finding most things just that little bit easier to deal with.

I've been able to access the acupuncture thru Pain Management Solutions, who provide pain clinic services for NHS patients that have been referred by their GP in my area. I'm under them for 6 months, and as well as acupuncture, I'm going to be seeing their physios and I'm also doing a Pain Management Program. Not sure what I will get from the physios or the program, but whatever I can get, I'll stick it in my kitbag as every little thing can make a difference.

Before you start paying for acupuncture, it might be worth seeing if you can be referred to Pain Management/Clinic in your area and see what they can offer you in the way of therapies and help. If they offer acupuncture, you could give it a go and see if it helps you. If it does, then you could look into private treatment.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for replies. Have been to pain clinic and am getting TENS from them to try and if I like then can buy. Forgot I am also going on a pain management course next year. Our waiting list for acupuncture is 12 months!!! So am keeping fingers crossed. My hubby keeps bringing me heat pads which are lovely.
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby pink_wierdo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello Dotty Lotty!
I was given a course of hydrotherapy when i was initially diagnosed, although i had to give it up due to eating too much into work hours, but it was initially very beneficial! I have since joined a gym and regularly go swimming and sit in the sauna. I am definately one of those that finds heat, as opposed to cold, helps.
Alos, accupuncture was good, if only to relax me for 24 hours!
:-)
Claire
pink_wierdo
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello