Diagnosed today :0(

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diagnosed today :0(

Postby Bigdawny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi there

Another newbie as from 1pm today.

Consultant has recommended Amitriptyline - anyone have any advice/success with these meds. She says take it at 6pm ??!??
Does that sound about right?

Dawn x
Bigdawny
UKFM Newbie

Re: Diagnosed today :0(

Postby whoami » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Dawn, a lot of people take the med you are. I did years ago but really can't remember much about it, LOL

Remember, every one of us is different. We may share the same symptoms but we all react differently to drugs and treatment. What works for one may not work for another.

Your meds may take a few days to build up in your system so don't worry if they don't work right away..
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Bigdawny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks for the reply...
Whole thing is a mind field huh??!?!

Xx
Bigdawny
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:57 pm

For the next little while you will receive lots of info. It may be overwhelming, no, it will be.

This is your journey, you are unique, nobody is exactly the same. The way you deal with symptoms, the way you react to medication will be special to you. We all are different.

Listen to all this advice but only keep in what pertains to you. Don't be upset when things don't go the same way as others. Don't obsess over others treatment and why you are not getting the same. You are you, your journey is yours.

You will find your way. After a while you will find some sort of peace with fibro. You will find what works for you, what sends you off in a flare and what relaxes you.

Fibro, isn't a death sentence. Right now it is a life sentence, however we can live a very happy productive life. It will be there, it will not be the same as before fibro but if you look for it, keep positive and have a positive outlook you will find Peace to your Heart!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby pink_wierdo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 am

Hello Dawn,

I am on amitriptyline, a higher dose to help me sleep. I find it takes about an hour to work with me, but everyone is different!
I suggest starting at a weekend, so you can modify times of taking to suit.

Hope that helps!
Claire x
pink_wierdo
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi Dawn and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: If you put amytriptaline (sorry cant spell tonight :oops: :oops: :oops: ) into the search facility it should bring up a lot of hits and hopefully things will become clearer for you :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:39 pm

:welcome: to the weird and wonderful world of FM Dawn :cow-wave: :cow-wave: You're in for a bit of a bumpy rise at times, esp at the start, but try not to worry too much. If you take each day as it comes and find the best way thru it for you, you'll get to where things make a bit more sense and feel a little lighter and brighter.

Amitriptyline is often one of the first meds tried with something like FM. Originally an older~type anti~d, it has been found to help with pain and sleep issues in some, and can help make quite a difference. It usually needs about a month to start adding it's effects to things, so try not to be too disheartened if there seems to be little or no benefit at first.

One of it's not~so~pleasant gifts is morning~after zombification for some. This may be why it was suggested that you take it around 6.00pm. If this time makes you feel :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: earlier than when you would normally go to bed, then you may need to try taking it a little earlier. For some the best time can be a couple of hours before bedtime, or 12 hours before the time they are planning to get up. A bit of twiddling around like this isn't unusual, and quite often necessary to get the best out of the med. For a lot more info about it, following Denys's suggestion about using the search function will bring up a whole host of references that may be helpful to you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello