Hello and getting my head around FM!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello and getting my head around FM!

Postby raindaisyflower » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:23 pm

HI ,

I have not felt "well" for a long time , 5 -8 years ? but as I have a lot to deal with as a carer, I neglected to look after myself. When I finally got to see a GP I had not seen before, as my own GP had left, for a cholesterol test in March , i was told my "inflammatory" indicators were up , but my cholesterol was fine. The GP asked me then about I was feeling generally, then I let it out , how much pain and discomfort I was getting and how I felt on a daily basis, and why I left my job in January to care for my OH, but also I was not coping with FT work and had become ill over the xmas holiday period was basically bedridden.

She said she was making a referral to a rheumatologist, i thought for bloods. The appointment was in May, I just expected a blood test and be told I was over weight and lose some weight . But he examined me and I was in pain. He dx FM. Put me on amitriptyline and gave me a booklet and sent on my merry way. Thats it.

For the last 7 months I have been trying to getting my head around this FM and it has answered so many unanswered questions. I was run over by a car when I 5, when I was 11 , i complained a lot about shoulder and hip pains, i was told I had rheumatism, growing pains, etc etc . I hated PE at school, as I in pain and refused training for a SEN nurse at 17 because I had had treatment for a bad back.

I had 3 children by the age of 24, then pelvic pain was put down to fibroids, stomach troubles was put down to IBS , other "ailments " was post traumatic syndrome following my OH having a stroke , age 30, I was put on Prozac, but you just get on with things...at 40 I lost my Mum , then 3 years later my Dad, then my OH had a heart attack and had blood clots..i crumbled , went Part Time then made redundant. I was glad not to work, my body was screaming at me. I returned to work last year thinking positively and I was unable to function as soon as I got in the door..then May and dx with FM...now I understand , sadly I beat myself up so much...now i am not sure which way to go.. glad I found this site ...
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split in clearer and smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
raindaisyflower
UKFM Member

Re: Hello and getting my head around FM!

Postby DizzyLizzie » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi raindaisyflower, you've really been through the mill, I truly feel for you, but stay strong, reading through this forum has really stopped me feeling so alone, I'm sure the friends we make here will help us through our bad days, give us hope & help us with all the information we need .
DizzyLizzie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:20 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary raindaisyflower :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I'm not sure if the Gremlins were playing with the "Submit" button when you made your intro post, but it had been repeated 3 times :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: To save on the confusion that comes about when people reply to duplicated posts, I've removed the others, so there is now just this one running for you :-D :-D :-D :-D I've also split your post up into smaller and clearer paragraphs as quite a few of us on here, incl myself, find reading larger blocks of text difficult, which means we can miss things that we might have a suggestion about that could be helpful to you :roll: :roll: :roll:

There is a lot to get your head around when you're told you have FM, and it affects us all very differently, both in how we deal with things and how long it take for things to start making a little more sense. Now you've found us tho, hopefully we can help guide you thru things and you can start heading towards a point where things are a little less overwhelming and :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

We seem to share a number of traits when it comes to FM, one of them being that we are much harsher on and/or beat ourselves up far more than we do to others around us, so you're in good company on here. As you find how best to deal with things tho, this over~harshness can start to reduce/calm down, and finding which way is best for you to go becomes a little clearer.

Have a bit of a looky and a read as you find your way around the place. And anything you want to know about, just ask and we'll try to point you in the direction of a suitable answer :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby raindaisyflower » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Thank you , fluppypuppy, I think I was blurted it out in one sentence !!!, and clicked too many times!!

I have always considered myself a meticulous person when it comes to writing , I had to doing the job I did, but over the last 2 years , this too seems to have taken a nose dive!

I just wanted to add there is a huge , huge irony here. 19 years ago after my husband had a stroke, he was left with Central Pain Syndrome, aka "post stroke pain". He suffers hyposensitivity and all the external environment have a major effect on his pain..I have been to pain clinics, acupuncture, physios, neuro clinics etc. etc...all with him and vocally spoke out about his "hidden " disability.

It has been debilitating and I have supported him through his pain and know so much about pathway pain drugs, including amitriptyline, gabapentin, dihydrocodeine, dantrolene, carbamazepine, and now morphine...

and now this...this is why I am struggling to get my head around this FM......its just so ironic. Thankfully , he is understanding and now its his turn to help me. !! :crazy:
raindaisyflower
UKFM Member

Postby debsmith » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Hia raindaisyflower

Firstly I'm so sorry u have been threw so much heartbreak :( sending gentle hugs 2u have u got any 1 u can lean on or use there shoulders apart from your hubby? I too have found it hard to get head round fm!! But even tho we arnt next door or anything there are always people here to support u and have a good old rant!!! We all need that at times I realli feel 4u hugs debbie xxx :bear-dancing:
debsmith
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello