Hello...

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello...

Postby Emsy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi all, I'm Emsy and I'm 31 and I think I might have fibromyalgia but I'm not sure, and at the moment my main fear is that my doctor is going to tell me I'm making it all up and laugh at me...!

I've had the symptoms of fibro for a while but not really considered that's what it might be until recently. I come from a family where you just "get on with it" and they don't have time for all these illnesses so I was always brought up with the mindset that you're just making a fuss and you need to get over it. Which perhaps is why it's taken me so long to get to this point.

My husband also has a chronic illness (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) so he's being very supportive which is awesome. I'm going to the doctors on Monday but I still have the irrational fear of being laughed out of the office and being told that my pain and fatigue and depression is nothing, it's something I've done to myself and I should just get over it.
Emsy
UKFM Member

Re: Hello...

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:40 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Emsy :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I'm sorry to hear you think you may have FM :( :( :( It's understandable that you're worried about the possible response you could get from your GP, unfortunately the stories about how dismissive and ignorant certain healthcare professionals can be greatly overshadow the ones about the helpful and supportive good guys :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

To start things off, you'll need to show your GP why FM may be cause of what you have been experiencing. If you take some info with you from a reputable source such as HERE and also some notes/details about your symptoms and how they match with those associated with FM, and hopefully you'll be met with a supportive response, and the wheels will be set in motion for you to start getting some answers :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Lots of us have been the sort that "get on with it" regardless of how we feel, which makes the road to adjusting to to living with something like FM quite a bumpy one, so if you are told that it is FM, you're not alone with it, and there is plenty of support, understanding and a bit of daftness to help you find your way thru it all :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Emsy and :welcome: I so hope you havent got this condition, wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Emsy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi all, thanks for your replies :mrgreen:

Well, I went to the doc this morning and took a list of symptoms with me so I had something to show her, and she said it did sound like I could have fibro :( which, while that's not good, means I feel like my symptoms are there for a reason, I'm not just over reacting or making it up.

I've been referred to the rhumey, but that'll take a few weeks. I knew the doc would be fine - she's been dealing with my husband for years so she's well versed on the chronic illness side of things. Doc also recommended Pilates for my back probs, so I'll have a look at that. She also asked me why I felt I needed to have a diagnoses, which sounds like a really bad question but I told her about wanting to be able to have a "definition" for what I was going through, so I could begin to pin it down and look at managing it. I felt that would be difficult without a diagnoses.

So, anyway, that's where we are now. I'm going to have a look round the boards and find some more info about this condition, as I feel I'm about to learn about it pretty fast!! :yikes:
Emsy
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello