Hello...newly diagnosed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello...newly diagnosed

Postby rockpoole » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Hello there

I would really like to offload and vent a bit…and it seems strange typing this to people I don’t know but I am struggling to come to terms with my recent diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Back in April this year I had a breakdown. Unhappy with my teaching job and bringing up my son on my own had left me exhausted and running on empty. My mum had to move in for a while to look after both my son and me and the road to recovery has been long.

When I first collapsed I had the most crippling pain. A bench two minutes walk away took me over twenty minutes to get to. En route a man asked me if I had cancer I was doubled up in so much pain. It would take me the whole day to achieve simple tasks. I am grateful to say that although things are still difficult they are not as they were 8 months ago. Diagnosed with depression (I have suffered before) I felt that something was not right…the fatigue and pain, stiffness and fluey feelings didn’t go away. I have persevered with my psych and GP in investigating my symptoms and my GP diagnosed me a couple of weeks back.

On the one hand people are telling me that it should be a relief, that I’ve an explanation as to why things have been so terrible and that now I know what I’m on with I can start to manage it. They say that I have coped with it at its worse without knowing what it was or without proper management. I don’t feel relief, I feel devastated. I have spent months building up my activity levels and starting to feel that my head was above water to be knocked down. My head is catastrophising the worst case scenarios and it feels all doom and gloom. I feel overwhelmed and scared. I want my body back and I want my life back.

I’ve been off work 9 months now and went down to half pay in October. At this moment in time I have no idea how I will get back. I asked for a reduction in hours due to the depression, which they investigated but decided, couldn’t accommodate due to a number of factors. I have a second Occy Health referral in January and school don’t yet know about this further diagnosis. I have a man from the union helping me but I’m so exhausted all the time and this added stress isn’t helping! Fortunately I have fantastic parents who won’t let things get out of hand financially but with so much still up in the air I feel like I’m about to explode!

I’ve been in tears as I write this but I hope that it helps me to start processing what’s going on. I feel like I’m in a state of shock all the time! I’m amazed I’ve been able to concentrate long enough to write this! :crazy:
Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Cathy
Last edited by denys on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Smaller paragraphs
rockpoole
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello...newly diagnosed

Postby HeppiBean » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Hello Cathy, I have also only recently been diagnosed after years of doctors appointments where they told me nothing was wrong. I do understand how you feel. On one hand I am relieved that I finally know what's going on, but on the other I feel so exasperated! This pain and fatigue may never go away. I'm sorry I can't really give you any advice, but I find it helps sometimes just knowing that somebody else is feeling the same way. Thinking of you x

Katie. Mummy to 2 with Fibro and HMS.
Sent from my HTC One using TapaTalk.
HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Cathy, you have had so much stress and trauma going on you deserve a good cry and moan.

Cathy, I would like to say the worse is over but I can't. We all react differently to fibromyalgia. Our symptoms may be the same or different. How our bodies accept treatment, medications etc will change.

The good thing is that you are diagnosed. It doesn't seem like it right now but it will once you and your Dr's get the right meds and treatment for you. I say for you because yours and mine may not be the same.

Cathy, for 25 years I have had fibro as my constant companion. I have gone through hell at times only to realize down the road that I hadn't been there yet. There have been many times that I wanted to give up but looking around there really was a life I could have.

Cathy, it will take a bit of time, a lot of frustration, anger and pain but with you in control you will find a place where you will be at peace. You can live a very happy, productive and loving life. You will be able to enjoy things you always have but in a different way. Maybe slower, maybe not being the star player on the team but the manager.

Cathy, your biggest asset will be yourself. Your attitude towards fibro will make a huge impact on how you feel and how you manage fibro. Don't let fibro run your life. You be in control.

Cathy, things will feel better not tomorrow but they will. You will not be cured in the foreseeable future but you will be in control. Cathy, you may live a painfully long life but you will live a happy life.

Cathy, there are a lot of people here that will try to help and guide you. You will hear suggestions, some may help you some may not. Take in all that applies to you. Working with your Dr and trying whatever he suggests will help you along your journey.

Cathy, you will find peace to your heart! Xx
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi Cathy and :welcome: to the forum I have broken your post into smaller more distinct paragraphs as most of us have problems with blocks of text :-D :-D it isnt unusual to feel the way you do after being given a diagnosis but you will find a way through it all, you sound as though you have some good support with your parents and we will offer you support and advice wherever possible all you have to do is ask.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello