Hello from a newbie

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello from a newbie

Postby yves173 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi, I'm eve 30 years old and was only diagnosed in October after having suffered with different symptoms of fibromyalgia since my teens if not before! It's a relief when you finally get a diagnosis but then you realise that your friends and family have no knowledge/understanding of the disease its difficult to tell them how your feeling.In my case I think that people presume that because I'm a health professional that I can understand/cope with it but they're wrong it doesn't work that way! So anyway found out about this forum recently and thought I'd give it a go. It would be nice to chat with someone who knows how fibromyalgia affects you. Hope everyone had as good a Xmas as they could manage! X

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
yves173
UKFM Member

Re: Hello from a newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 pm

HI and :welcome:

Lots of chattering going on around the boards :-D

:wave: :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby whoami » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Hello Yves and welcome to our growing family. I say family because we all have at least one thing in common and we understand each other.

You are right about people assuming that you should have all the answers about fibro, know all the treatments and therefore your symptoms must be minimal. Did you not know that Dr's, nurses and other health care workers do not get ill, that seems to be the misconception of many.

You will find lots of info , support and understanding here.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby yves173 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! :D can you tell me a little about yourselves please? X

yves173
UKFM Member

Postby M0nkeyS0cks72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi Yves, I am a 41yr old mother of 3 and I was also diagnosed in October. I also am new here and I am finding that reading the posts people have done very helpful.

I understand what you are saying about trying to get friends and family to understand as a lot of people have never heard of it. I have however got 2 of my girls and my partner to read a post on here. I think it's called 'one to show the none believers'

They have said that it has helped them to understand a little more.

Dee Dee x

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
M0nkeyS0cks72
UKFM Newbie

Postby yves173 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi Dee Dee, nice to meet you. Thanks ill search for that post. Read another somewhere called the spoon theory thought that was a good explanation also. Can I ask how your partner took your diagnosis? Eve x

yves173
UKFM Member

Postby M0nkeyS0cks72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Eve,

My partner seems to have taken it really well so far. We haven't been together very long(a year next month). I half expected him to run for the hills and I wouldn't have blamed him if he had but he is a decent bloke. There is not many like him around, he works 5/6 days a week and on his day off he cleans the house from top to bottom so I don't have too much to do the rest of the week. I am a very lucky lady as I think most men would have ran that early into a relationship if faced with it.

Some of my friends however I feel are ignoring me as they don't know what to say or do. How are you finding your friends reactions?

Dee Dee x

M0nkeyS0cks72
UKFM Newbie

Postby yves173 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Dee Dee, I find that most of my friends don't know/understand/ignore my condition. One friend didn't think because my hair has started falling out that it was a big deal but along with all the symptoms of the condition it is, makes you more selfconscious of your appearance. I don't seem to get invited to nights out but then most of the time I'm too tired and sore to actually go but just to be asked would be nice.
Hoover I can say that my partner has been amazing. We've been together 2 and a half years now and I've been unwell since I first met him. He's very supportive and caring would do anything for me but he hates seeing me in so much pain. Feel bad when we have to cut short a night out or cancel all together. I try to get him to go himself but he refuses. Have just been telling him I've been talking to you. He thinks it's a positive thing. I think so too. Eve x

yves173
UKFM Member

Postby wolfwitch » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi and welcome from another newbie. So glad your partner is understanding, it makes life so much easier. I, too, am blessed with a very understanding hubby and daughter. My daughter has Asperger's and is approaching 13 but she has always understood if I'm too tired or sore to do anything. My family have difficulties understanding that it isn't just my agoraphobia stopping me from doing, but fibro and all the fun associated with it.
Funny you say they expect you to have all the answers as a healthcare professional, I was a care worker for years and in my 2nd year of nursing when I became ill, but, my sister (who works as a pharmacy assistant now) who had only shown an interest in pharmacy work at that point, knew more about mental and physical health than me even though I was working in healthcare and had been in it for years :roll:
wolfwitch
UKFM Newbie

Postby yves173 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Thank you for the welcome wolfwitch. Everyone has been so welcoming and understanding so far. I was unsure about joining the forum but I'm really glad now that I joined :) especially on days like today when I'm having a really crap day - i don't feel alone I know others are the same. Eve x

yves173
UKFM Member

Postby M0nkeyS0cks72 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi Eve, sorry I have took so long to reply. Was really busy over new years and of course me being me I over did it, so was bad for a few days and feeling sorry for myself. I just didn't want to face things but knew I had to. So back on here with the only people who I know truly understand how I feel and how coming to terms with fibromyalgia affects me.

My partner also thinks it's a good thing that there is someone I can talk to who is going through the same things. It was him that told me to get back on here as this is the only place I can come and not feel so alone in all this.

Hope you had a good New Year

Dee Dee :)

M0nkeyS0cks72
UKFM Newbie

Postby yves173 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi Dee Dee, I like yourself over did it felt bad for my partner as I was supposed to be spending New year's with his family instead he went alone! So not a great start to 2014 has continued with a fall at work on Monday which resulting in me tearing all the ligaments in my foot so after being back one day I'm off sick so kinda feeling sorry for myself right now!
I hope that despite overdoing it you managed to enjoy New year's?

Eve x

yves173
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby yves173 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:15 am

Thanks for the welcome denys

yves173
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:34 pm

:welcome:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Where to Say Hello