would like to say hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

would like to say hello

Postby familygirl50 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi, My name is Jo and Ive recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I think it started about 6 years ago but when I saw my gp about the pain and muscle spasms, I was told its just my ligaments and muscle strain. He always asked if I was depressed and would give me antidepressants but failed to see that it was the physical symptoms that were making me feel low. Over the past couple of years I have felt worse and the spasms stopped me sleeping but the most worrying thing was my memory. I honestly thought I was starting to get dementia. I have always been a carer both in work and at home as my husband is physically disabled. I had to give up my job as I physically couldnt do it anymore. I couldnt even climb the stairs to tend to the residents on the first floor. Once while at work I was so exhausted I lost my balance and fell back hitting my head on a cupboard. I felt so embarrassed and guilty too.

I took my husband to see a new young gp at the surgery and was impressed by his attitude. So I booked an appointment and told him how I was feeling. At last he was listening to me and I told him that a neighbour had mentioned fibromyalgia. He lifted his note pad and written on there was the word fibromyalgia. He said that I needed to see a rheumatologist to rule out rheumatoid arthritis etc. So after further these were ruled out I was finally diagnosed with Fibro. I had mixed emotions but now have a name for my condition.
So sorry for the long post :sleep: expect you have drifted off by now lol
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs a little clearer for easier reading.
familygirl50
UKFM Newbie

Re: would like to say hello

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:52 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily Jo :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

First of all, there's no need to apologise for things on here :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Feeling like you are at the moment is something that most of us experienced when we were told we had FM. At first there's the relief that there is finally a name for what you have living with, but this seems to be swamped almost immediately by all the thoughts and feelings that start swirling round as the realisation of what FM is, and the fact that it is with you for the long haul starts to take hold. It's as if it's part of the process we need/have to go thru before we can start finding the best way for us to live with FM. It needs a little time to pass, but as you find out more about the condition, how it affects you, and what your capabilities are, things do start to feel a little lighter and brighter :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

You'll find lots of info on here about all sorts of things, so when you get a chance, have a bit of a look around, you may come across some useful suggestions to try out that could help you feel a little more comfortable, as well as some answers to questions you may have whirling around your head. There's also a lot of support and understanding, as well as a bit :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: to help with getting thru the FibroDays

Anything you want to know about, just ask away, and we'll try to help you with an answer :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:40 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby bandj » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:59 am

Hello and welcome! I'm new too and, like you, I'm my hubby's carer and recently diagnosed. I've had a lovely welcome here and there's lots of info too.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby familygirl50 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Awww what a lovely welcome. Thanks to you all for replying. Im looking forward to learning more from you all and listening to your experiences. :-)
BandJ - its nice to know that there are other carers in the same situation ( although I wouldnt wish fibro on anyone). How do you cope with trying to care for your hubby? Ive just started attending a group run by the NHS for six weeks. Last week we did pacing and this week we are setting ourselves small goals. Next week we have some hydrotherapy which Im looking forward to.
familygirl50
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello