[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Is it just going to get worse?

Is it just going to get worse?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is it just going to get worse?

Postby Kelbly » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi I was diagnosed with fibro February 2013, currently having a flare up possibly due to a bug, or I had a painful osteopath session last week and a filling at the dentists that was quite traumatic as they injected me three times but it had no effect :-/ has this happened to any of you?

Anyway I also have Hashimotos but my thyroid levels are normal.

My main question is, is this illness (FMS) going to progress and get worse? I consider myself lucky as i can walk unaided etc. but reading some peoples posts has got me so worried about what the future may hold!

I work three days a week which I believe helps me 'keep going'.

Any advice, answers much appreciated.

Katie
Kelbly
UKFM Newbie

Re: Is it just going to get worse?

Postby funny_wonder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:34 pm

FMS is not believed to be degenerative, it flares & settles but generally doesn't just get progressively worse. Having said that, I found that from my initial onset of problems there was gradual progression for the first few years then it levelled out as I got better at managing it. I've had it about 7 years. I'm relatively active- do most of my own housework etc, look after a toddler, walk my dogs (a bit, lol). There are times when I'm very slow due to pain or fatigue but overall I'm pretty independent. I have had some short lived flare-ups when I was in so much pain I couldn't walk without crying but thankfully they are very rare. I would try not to let a flare-up unnerve you too much, with time you'll figure out what works for you in terms of managing your fibro.
funny_wonder
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:39 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Katie :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

It's not easy to say what will happen where FM is concerned I'm afraid, due to how it affects us all so differently :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Like you, I can still walk unaided, this is something that hasn't changed over the years for me. What has changed tho is the speed at which I am able to walk at, and the distances I can cover, due to stiffness and pain, but mostly due to fatigue as, along the way I've also collected CFS in my jumble of pawleys :-? :-? :-?

Whilst there are some who have found their mobility decreasing rapidly, and needing to use aids to help get around, there are others who, like me, have slowed down considerably compared to the rate at which they used to go/do things at, but are still able to bobble around :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: Then there are some who find that they have periods where symptoms and problems ease back considerably, meaning they are able to do a little more, get out and about more easily, and enjoy life a little more than when things are at their worst. TBH, it would be easier to answer the question "How long is a piece of string??" than tell you what the future holds with FM :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Most of us take things bit~by~bit, day~by~day, until we start to understand how FM affects us personally. Then, when we reach that point where we have a better idea of things, then we can start to look a little further ahead with things.

Sorry I can't give you a more definite answer about what can happen :( :( :( If FM were to follow some sort of pattern, then it would be slightly easier to do that. With FM making its rules up as it goes along, anything can happen along the way.

Even with things being like this tho, it is still possible to have some :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: along the way. Keeping yourself as active and occupied as you can help with this, such as your 3 days a week working, as well as any other things that you find help keep you :horse_running: :horse_running: :horse_running: on :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Kelbly » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Thanks for your replies :)

So the replies I've had here and on fb have been very helpful.

My work keeps me going as do my 3 kids and husband, I have a pony on loan also to keep me busy :)

I will keep going how I am think positive and take the days as they come!

Thanks for the warm welcome! :-D
Kelbly
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello