Help/ advice needed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help/ advice needed

Postby mogsjap » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Hia all

Im Emma From sunny south wales.

I've started to look in to whether or not i have fibro for over a year now.

I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid about 3 years ago now...Still suffer with some of the side effects (tiredness etc) I've noticed for some time that it takes me quite a while to recover from doing stuff.. I live in a villige so don't go very far. Once a week i go shopping and usualy feel very washed out after coming home, it does take it out on me. Last week i went out shopping for the day and since then i have felt terrible... I have no energy.. muscle aches (sholders/arms and neck) and also dizzyness (feeling like im going to fall over). I rang my gp after two days of feeling like this and he sent me for blood tests to check my thyroid.. tests have come back fine slight decline in thyroid but not enough to make me feel like this. So tomorrow i'll be having a good chat with the doctor and am going to bring up fibro to them and see what they say. There must be a reason why i feel like this.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with fibro a few years ago and shes told me not to say anything about it becuase alot of doctors don't think it exsits... so now i don't know what to do.. shall i bring it up etc??

Emma
Emma
mogsjap
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help/ advice needed

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:50 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Emma :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Sorry to hear how you've been over the past year, you're right in that there must be some reason behind it all, but what is that "something" that has been with you??

If you feel that FM could be behind your symptoms and problems, then you do need to raise it with your GP as the first step to getting some answers. Whilst your friend with FM is right that there are some docs who don't believe FM is a genuine condition, or that it is "all in our heads" there are also a good number who do accept it and treat it as we need it to be.....real.

What you could do is go armed with some info from a reputable site such as NHS Choices. You could also compile a list of your symptoms/problems and go thru the info about FM and make some notes about where there are similarities between what you experience and what is on the list of symptoms from the info, and use this as part of your explanation as to why you feel FM is behind what you experience.

Quite often, you can tell within a few minutes what the doc you are seeing thinks about FM, so try and keep an eye on their body language, facial expressions, and how their voice may sound/change. Hopefully it will be a favourable reaction from your GP and be the start of you going in a better direction to get some answers :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mogsjap » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Thank you fluffy. Im fed up of aching sholders and no energy... I've just made the kids tea and feel like curling in to a ball.
Emma
mogsjap
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi Emma, :welcome: to the forum Fluppypuffy has given you a very comprehensive answer so will just add a :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello