Hello everyone! Just joined :)

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello everyone! Just joined :)

Postby Jont » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi guys!

My name is Jon. I am 33 years old and live in the UK.

I have had a "mystery" condition for about five years now. I have spent the last five years in and out of hospitals etc, but have gained little to no insight into the problem, with all blood tests etc coming out normal. The general feeling from various doctors in various countries is that the condition is Fibromyalgia, and after reading various literatures I am inclined to finally agree, after putting off acceptance of FM for as long as possible.

Symptoms are the classic, pains and trigger points, tiredness, rashes, headaches, depression/anxiety/stress and so forth.

For 15 years I was a structural engineer. I Managed to keep working full time until early 2013, then part time until September 2013, and then finally stopped working all together after that, and am now going the process of seeking benefit allowance to live, from the government.

I have accepted that there is no cure and that it is just something you have to learn to live with. Though I am not going to give up hope altogether, as I have read many success stories of people healing.

I live in Cambridgeshire, and I am new to the forum. Are there such things as local meets between sufferers? I have met only a handful of FM/Chronic Pain sufferers since I have become ill and it was always a good experience and something I would be up for.

Thanks all - look forward to talking with y'all :)
Jont
UKFM Member

Re: Hello everyone! Just joined :)

Postby denys » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:13 am

Hi Jon and :welcome: to the forum there are support groups around the country and you may find it helpful to join in if there is one in your area. You can look at the front page of the forum (under the heading support groups) which list some that are available together with phone numbers. You can also ask at your GP surgery or local rhuematology department in your local hospital, or indeed on here under support groups.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: there is a local one but if not then maybe you could start one yourself, other members have and some seem to be quite successful :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jont » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:16 am

Hiya, thanks for the welcome.

Oky doke I'll have a look through the forum and see what's already being organised.

Cheers :)
Jont
UKFM Member

Postby gems87 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Welcome to the forum,

Was at my local doctor yesterday feeling scunnered, as you said, its something we just have to live with and deal with best we can, that was the doctors exact words to me, but finding it hard to accept that
gems87
UKFM Member

Postby Jont » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Yeh I hear that!

The acceptance part took probably the longest for me. Now that I have made the change to "new" lifestyle, it's not so bad. I guess you get used to everything eventually to a certain degree. Although I'd prefer to not be ill at all obviously.
Jont
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello