Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello

Postby LYNPI » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:41 am

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia after years of pain and exhaustion.

Over the past two years I have had both my ovaries removed due to cysts. I have had to also endure surgical menopause and with that came horrific night/day sweats (not for the fainthearted!). I have also had, since 2010 a daily constant pain due to IBS/Diverticulitis but managed to control this via Amitriptyline. To add to my misery I had two operations in 2013 for Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. You get into your 40's and everything 'drops off' - except the weight!!

I began to realise that I may have Fibro when blood tests came up negative but the pain was real. I begged my GP for a referral to a Rheumatologist who finally gave me a 'title' for my problems.

It is amazing how you get used to pain and don't know anything else. As I have now come to realise that stress plays a major part in exacerbating the pain, I have now made up my mind to have some 'me time'. By this I mean I have decided to loose some weight and get back into the clothes which lay dormant at the back of my wardrobe.

Does anyone know how to get a nights sleep? I wake up around two times a night and when I wake up, I am just as tired as I went to bed.

Presently I have pain in both my hands, feet and knees. Does anyone suffer from morning stiffness of both hands and feet (I look like a tin man getting out of bed). During the night I wake up with stiff hands and feet and have to lie in bed moving them before I can anticipate getting out. During the day, my hands and feet hurt and if I use my hands too much, they swell up. I am a bit upset about this at the moment as I love to paint and started framing for others last year, but now I have to stop the framing due to the lose of dexterity. If anyone knows of any drugs which can help, please let me know. My GP has been very good.

Take care of yourselves and thanks for reading this. :-D
LYNPI
UKFM Member

Re: Hello

Postby denys » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum sorry still havent learnt how to get a good nights sleep and yes most of suffer with stiffness especially in the morning. Unfortunately both of these are very common symptoms of fibro :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LYNPI » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Denys

Thanks for your reply. I've just been given Gabapentin 100mg x2 a day. Amazingly I've only taken 100 ml once a day for two days and notice a big difference in my hands (not feet though!!). Will feedback when I go to x2 a day if it takes the 'edge' of the daily pain. Will see if it helps tonight when I sleep (or not as the case normally is).

Now noticed nodules developing in palms of hands (yuk) - Is this common with FIbromyalgia? GP is extremely good and if, after two weeks, the nodules do not subside, he is going to bring forward my return to the Rheumatologist.
LYNPI
UKFM Member

Postby zelda53 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Hell Lynpi,

Quite new to this myself, diagnosed April '13. Also just over 40 and working full time. I tried medication but found my work and personal life suffered due to the side effects, so I'm not currently taking anything.

My hands are also my worst 'bit'. Haven't found a cure but find keeping them moving helps (obviously difficult at night!) I use a stress type squeezy ball to try to keep the strength in my hands. Although it hurts I find it quite therapeutic.

As for sleep - can't help you there, still struggling myself. Any ideas you get I'd be grateful!!!

Anyway take care,

Louise :-)
Smiling on the outside, crying on the inside - but always looking on the Brightside!!
zelda53
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:24 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily LYNPI :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

As Denys has said, stiffness is quite a common problem with FM, affecting pretty much all of us at various times along the way. I wake up in the morning and see if the guessing game I was playing while laid awake the night before had got the right part of my body being affected. I don't always get it right, but at least it's a different way to tackle one of the little delights we have foisted upon us :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I'm still on a quest to find that Holy Grail known as a Decent Night's Sleep :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: I'm 14 years into it, and still don't have much of an idea :oops: :oops: :oops: At best it is erratic, but more often than not, it is elusive. I've found having a regular bedtime routine and using relaxation apps can help make things a little more manageable, altho it hasn't brought me any extra :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: yet.

It's brilliant that you've already felt some benefits from Gabapentin in a matter of a few days. Hopefully, as the med builds up in your system, you'll start to feel even more benefit from it :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: It usually takes about a month for Gabapentin to really take effect as the dosage is steadily increased, altho for some it can take up to 3 months to do this.

I can't recall nodules developing in palms being related to FM, but with how vague, unpredictable, and a law~unto~itself FM is, anything is possible. It sounds like your GP is the type that many FMers would love to have treating them, so going with his suggestions and guidance is probably the best way to go.

You'll find lots of info and advice on here, along with support and understanding and a bit of :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: to help you get thru the FibroDays :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LYNPI » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:39 pm

Dear Fluffy puffy and Louise
It is so wonderful speaking to you both, thank you. Those little images are so, so sweet.

Over the past 14 years I can proudly remember two nights sleep - that was at a caravan by the seaside!!! I remember falling asleep and then just simply waking up (bit of a shock to the system!!).

I'm off to try physio for my hands and feet in March - I'll let you know of any stretches for hands and feet (or shoe inserts for those sore feet).

I have read that cider vinegar and honey are very good for the pains. I actually went to Holland and Barrett (as they sold the best priced mixture). Well, after putting a couple of spoons in warm water (and holding my nose for the smell), I had a drink - yuk!!! dreadful taste. Has anyone got any good ideas of how to take the vinegar and honey???? :waiting:
Take care of yourselves

Linda
LYNPI
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello