Taking the first steps..

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Taking the first steps..

Postby bella555 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi! I'm new to this forum, as I have only recently discovered it however I feel that the amount of people that have come together and shared there stories has inspired me to reach out in hope that some of my questions may have answers!

I have only recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia although suffering from it for nearly a year, I am only 19 and finding it to have a enormous effect on my entire life! some days there's light, other days I can't even face getting out of bed in the morning to face the day of pain that awaits me. I've had to put college,uni,work, partying and a social life on hold. I've lost all sense of motivation and hope that this will ever change. I've seen many people say that it takes patience and time to build your body back up! I'm just finding it really hard to come to terms with what to expect, what I should do, how to approach the next step but most of all, the hardest thing is having to explain to people why you can't make it out to go shopping, or get up in time to make an appointment, constantly having to explain myself for this disease that they feel is invisible.

I don't have a support from a family unit as I live independently, I'm finding the financial side of it challenging, not being able to work and having to stand on my own two feet really can put the healthiest people to the test!

I'm just reaching out to see if anyone has any advice on what the next steps are to be able to continue a normal 19 year olds life and finally get this cloud off my shoulders, it's not easy as you all know!

bella555
UKFM Newbie

Re: Taking the first steps..

Postby denys » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:20 am

Hi and firstly :welcome: to the forum, you are very young to have this condition but we have a number of young members so maybe they can give you some advice on getting back out there.

Have a read through this topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10653 its all about the stages of grief that follow a diagnosis and hopefully it will help a little.

The best advice anyone can give you is to pace, this means doing an activity for a short period of time say 5 minutes, then resting for 10 before continuing with the task. Break tasks down into easier manageable bits so it doesnt seem so overpowering and keep yourself moving as once you give in to complete inactivity it becomes so much harder to start doing things again as the pain becomes amplified the feelings of despair take hold and that horrible cycle starts all over again :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby bella555 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:36 am

Thank you!! the forum is helping ease my mind in knowing I'm not alone!!

The breakdown of stages made things make sense a little more, it's just a case of knowing what to expect, it's not easy coming to terms with, I spend a lot of time on my own which can sometimes be a good thing and a bad thing as I have to learn how to manage things on my own, sometimes not such a good thing when I'm having a bad phase!

I just wish we could find a cure!!!!
:scream-1:
bella555
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:39 am

Have you thought about looking to see if there is a support group in your area :?: :?: :?: This would help you get out a bit and maybe provide you with some practical help with coping with the condition, you never know you might meet some people of a similar age to yourself that you could possibly go for a coffee with :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby bella555 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:43 am

yeah! I've researched local ones in my area and emailed the lady that runs it but as yet I've had no reply, I've got an appointment with my GP at the end of the week to see what support and medications etc. That I need, and to also refer me to the local pain clinic, it's just all so new I don't really know what I'm supposed to do as my rheumatologist wasn't the most helpful lady I've ever met lol!!

Fingers crossed things will slowly get better!! X
bella555
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 am

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MikH-D » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:57 am

Hi, I'm 25 and I think my first bad flare was about the same age, it's awful being young with but you can still make a life for yourself, (I'm now a mum if one and married 5 1/2 years )
Just make sure you do things on your good days, feel free to message me x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikH-D
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello