[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia..hello

newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia..hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia..hello

Postby missyb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:35 am

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed last week after a 9mth downward spiral.. I am/was fit healthy and active but has slowly declined. Actually think I may have had it for years but diet and exercise seemed to calm the symptoms until I was struck down twice with a sickness bug.

Any how it is what it is and now I need to find a way of controlling this rather than this controlling me!!

I am married with 2 kids and work full time (presently struggling too) and before diagnosis there were talks of them reducing my hours as I was not managing to work them every month!! Cant afford not too!!

The route for dianosis has lead to me being on sertraline with the rhumatologist now recommending I go on amitriptline (sorry about the spelling). I hate being on anti depressants if im truthful scared that I will put weight back on ( just worked my hardest to get 3 stone off). Also he wants me to use physio and hydrotherapy just waiting for my appt with the rhumatology team. So any advice guidance would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
missyb
UKFM Newbie

Re: newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia..hello

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:12 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily missyb :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

You'll find lots of info and advice across the boards covering all sorts of subjects incl meds/treatments, things that members have found beneficial and shared in the hope that it can help others, and most importantly.....things that have made us :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Diet and exercise can help with FM, altho it can take a while to find what helps you and what your capabilities and limits will now be. Physio and Hydrotherapy can be beneficial for some, so when your appts come thru, if you try to go with an open mind and have the sole aim of getting as much/what you can from them, you may be pleasantly surprised with things.

Wrt work, as you now have a confirmed dx, if you haven't already done so, advising your employer about it might be the next thing to do. One an employer is aware than an employee has an illness/condition/disability that is impacting on their ability to carry out their role, the employer is legally obliged under The Equalities Act to bring in "reasonable adjustments" that enable the employee to carry on working with their problem taken into consideration. Reasonable adjustments vary from individual to individual, role~to~role, but can include suitable equipment being provided to make a workstation more comfortable/FM friendly, changes in shifts/hours/days worked etc etc. There are people who can help with advice on this, should it be needed.

Amitriptyline is often one of the first meds tried when FM is dx'd. Altho it is an anti~d, it has been found to help with pain and sleep issues, and tends to be used in considerably lower dosages for this compared to when it has been used as an anti~d. I can understand your concerns about starting it, esp the weight gain possibility/side effect. If you can try to bear in mind that not everyone will be affected in the same ways by the same side effects, it might be worth giving it a go, as it could be something that makes a real difference to you.

Think I've waffled on at you for long enough now :oops: :oops: :oops: It tends to happen a lot these days :oops: :oops: :oops: anything you want to know about, just ask, and hopefully we'll be able to direct you towards something useful :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia..hello

Postby missyb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi

Thank you so much for your info and advice it was really helpful. I am trying to be open minded and will try anything it has been a complete whirlwind going from exercising and active four five times a week to barely being able to manage more than twice a week!!
missyb
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello