Help please!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help please!

Postby LRobinson1392 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 pm

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia just under a year ago. I have been fighting it but I really do not think I can much more. I have carried on with work and ‘normal’ life despite the huge amount of pain I am in and my extreme fatigue. I am taking the medication prescribed by the doctor as well as looking around for alternative treatments. I sleep on a heated mat and have just started using a TENS unit.

I am finally getting to where I want to be in life, I am doing a job and living where I love but I am very close to falling apart. I live on my own and have to support myself so have to work full time. Getting up in the morning is horrendous and I regularly feel dangerously sleepy driving to and from work, not to mention at work too. I live in a different country to my family and close friends and there are not many support groups around. If I do return to the UK, are there any benefits I could claim?

I would just like some help, support and advice. Is it worth giving up everything I have worked towards and move back home to my parents to give me time to rest and come to terms with my diagnosis and illness or shall I keep going? How do other people with fibromyalgia cope with everything, from pain to work?

Like I say, I would just like some help and support from people who understand.

Thank you all in advance, Lauren xxx
LRobinson1392
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help please!

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi, I work full time and have a very busy life, diagnosed a couple of years back, sufferer for something like 5 years I think. How do I keep going? Mostly sheer bloody-mindedness. I don't medicate, other than paracetamol/ibuprofen, I keep moving but rest more than I used to, and accept that some days I can't achieve what I want. I'd like to say the OH helps by doing more around the house but I'd be lying. Everyone finds their own level and way of coping. Mine is to just remember what someone on here said - I have Fibromyalgia, Fibromyalgia doesn't have me.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Hellyn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:05 pm

Hello, Do what you feel best. If you need to go home then do so...you do not mention where you live and if you qualify for benefits here in the UK. The system is not as bad as people make out as from my experience I have had no problems with ESA or accessing Pain Management clinics etc...If you are disabled and not able to drive safely then stop. It would not bode well if you did crash and your condition was attributed to it.

If home is where you need to be with support and love it does make a difference to fibro to not be stressed and have others around who don't mind making dinner or a cuppa..lol...

I went thru a grieving process with the diagnosis and it is not unexpected and of course you need to reassess your life to live it in a way you can manage it. We all have days we 'push' it, but we are all different as it varies so much. If you need time out give yourself permission to have the time to come to terms and plan work in other ways if you need. Myself, I needed to be with it and learn to accept that I was not able to be the dynamo productive whirlwind I use to be and listen when people tell me to bog off to bed and rest up, not easy for a nurse to take health orders from others...lol, but now I do and glad of it.

Do what you heart tells you pet...most of all look after no.1.

best wishes Hellyn.
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Postby humphreys » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi. I was told I had Fibro 2yrs ago, but I think I have had it for longer, it took the doctors long enough I know that. When I found out I was so relieved, but when I got home I cried and cried, wondering if I could ever get used to all the pain, and how would I be in a few years time. Like you I live on my own have two jobs to do, one is as a Support Worker for a Brain Injury lady and a stroke. It's the hardest job I have ever done, when I get home from work at night, I slump on the settee and that's me for the night until bed. I think of how the hell am I going to work for the rest of my life like this. I have another 9yrs before I can retire, I don't think I can last that long. I just take a day as it comes, rest when I can. It's funny as soon as I wake in the mornings I can't wait to take my meds, Hope you find a way to take a day as it come. best Wishes
humphreys
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:36 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to our little sanctuary Lauren :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Unfortunately, fighting against FM isn't something you can do indefinitely, it will fight back and ultimately wipe the floor with you :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm not trying to be over dramatic and :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: It was something I did for far too long after being dx'd and it almost broke me. It dragged me down to the deepest, darkest point I have ever known, and it has taken a long time for me to find my way out of there and learn how to live with my collection of constant companions.

If you haven't spoken to your employer about your condition and the way it affects you, it might be the time to do so. Depending on which country you are in, there may be rules and regs/statutes in place whereby your employer is obliged to put adjustments into place to help make your job more suitable for you to carry on doing with FM taken into consideration. It might also be worth considering telling friends about how you are being affected too, then when things are flaring, you could rearrange any plans you have made etc etc.

Even tho FM has thrown itself into the mix, it doesn't mean that you have to stop doing what you are to get to where you want to go to in life. It may become necessary to make changes to things along the way, and it might involve taking a less direct route to get there, but with the right mix of things, knowing what your capabilities and limits are, having some back~up plans in place for "just in case" and working with/within these things, but you can still get there.

Before you decide what to do, look into all the options and possibilities available to you so you can make the best decisions possible :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello