Hello, new to the site

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello, new to the site

Postby janjay » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi all, this seems a very helpful & friendly site, so I thought I'd introduce myself. Although only recently diagnosed with Fibro, I've actually had it a long time, I grew up with dreadful pain in my legs at night, but was told it was growing pains, had pains in wrist and hands since my 20's, investigated nothing found, and then my knees started giving me trouble in my 30's, but again nothing found on investigation. I've always been "headachey" and suffer a lot with backache, all of these things I saw as separate problems and whilst each was unpleasant, I pretty much ignored them and got on with things.

However that all changed last summer when the severity of the pain, the frequency and the parts of my body affected all got significantly worse all of a sudden; my daughter (and only child) was due to start Uni in September and I was dreading her going and I really think that was the trigger that set everything off. I then spent months back and for to the Dr, I suspected Fibro as I'd looked into it before but it took until October when I got a half-hearted yes it probably is Fibro from my Dr, I also have sciatica and he was more concerned about that. At the time that was enough for me, I'd wanted a diagnosis and couldn't see me getting any more from the Dr, although have tried different meds, so far with no success, but I've now asked for a referral to see a rheumatologist as I want a more definate diagnosis.

I work part-time and have taken quite a lot of time off, so they're getting a bit twitchy, although to be fair my managers have been brilliant and so supportive, it's just Head Office who are now starting to ask questions, which I can understand so I felt getting an official diagnosis could only help. I'm very lucky and have a wonderful, patient husband and some great friends, but it's that frustrating element of people trying to help but not really understanding what you're going through and I thought it would be good to find some people that do know. I also suffer with depression and take Citalapram for that, which keeps me stable and I'm glad to say I've not had a really bad episode for quite a few years but I don't think I'll ever come off the Citalapram.

Interestingly my daughter was diagnosed with Hypermobility Syndrome a few years ago, but I think she also had Fibro as some of her symptoms don't completely fit in with Hypermobility, and my mum, who died when I was a teenager had very aggressive MS, I don't know if there's a link or it's just coincidental, but each of these illnesses do share some traits.

I work in a shopping centre and split my time between the Customer Service Desk and our ShopMobility unit and some days I look at those Scooters and really wish I could take one back home with me!! On the whole I'm a very upbeat person and am trying not to let Fibro take over my life, but am starting to accept that my life has and will continue to change with Fibro and of course have some really down days when in so much pain I just don't know what to do with myself.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split large paragraph into smaller ones for easier reading
janjay
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello, new to the site

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:17 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary janjay :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I've split the large paragraph that was at the start of your post into smaller ones for easier reading. Quite a few of us on here, incl myself, struggle when it comes to reading larger blocks of text, and end up getting lost and reading the same line over and over again :oops: :oops: :oops:

You're in good company now you've joined our FibroFamily, as well as info and advice and support and understanding on here, we also like to have a bit of :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: and :lol: :lol: :lol: when we can.

Your story of having FM for years before being dx'd, and going backwards and forwards to the docs with the various symptoms and problems appearing is something that is shared with a good number on here. With your GP being so reluctant to give you anything more than the half~hearted yes you managed to squeeze out of him, seeing the Rheumy should hopefully give you that more definite, confirmed answer :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

It sounds like you're starting to make some good steps in the right direction in learning to live life with FM in the mix. It won't be a perfectly smooth journey, in fact there will be a number of lumps in the road as you go along, but as you find our more about how you are affected, as well as the different things that can help you, it is still possible to have some fun and enjoyment along the way. It may be at a bit of a slower pace than you went at previously, but you can still get there :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:15 am

Hi Janjay and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby janjay » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:21 pm

thanks both for the welcome :-)
janjay
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello