Hope I'm on right place?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hope I'm on right place?

Postby mabelcasson22 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi am waiting for MRI and to be honest dreading it :-? Small spaces and I do not mix well :-? To say am terrified is mild :( Have any of u got any advice please :-) Won't know till after MRI that I have fibromyalgia or if I have it, though according to the Muscular Skeletal doctor, she has said that is more possible, I am working and hope to carry on doing so, working in a laundry that caters to three residential homes and am hoping to be doing so for at least a few more years :-) just not sure how much the symptoms or quickly change? :-? Any advice would be appreciated :-)
mabelcasson22
UKFM Member

Re: Hope I'm on right place?

Postby Lindilou » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:11 am

Hi, you may be dreading the MRI scan because of your fear of small spaces but at least you are having a scan. ( I'd rather like an MRI scan just to prove there is a brain in my head after all :lol: )

But hopefully it will only be the once, and you could close your eyes and imagine you are on a beach somewhere nice or in the woods.

Fear is a terrible thing, it's negative. It makes situation seem terrifying but please somehow try and turn it around into a positive, you can do it. :hugs:
Lindilou

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:16 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily Mabel :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I've had a number of MRIs over the years, and each time I was loaned earplugs and a mask to help distract myself while in the machine. If you contact the unit where your scan will be done, they should be able to advise you about ways that can help you feel a touch more settled while it is being done.

As for how symptoms and problems may change over time......unfortunately that is a question that we all struggle to answer due to the vague and unpredictable nature of the condition. For some, they find the right balance of meds, treatments and therapies for them and are able to carry on pretty much as normal. At the other end of the scale tho, there are those of us who are still struggling, quite often after a number of years, to find that right balance of things, plus all sorts of possibilities and permutations inbetween.

Have a bit of a looky and a read around the boards when you get a minute, they are full of all sorts of info and advice and may have some useful suggestions for you to try out :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mabelcasson22 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Thank u fluffypuffy for the lovely welcome and advice :-D I will contact the MRI people once I get an appointment and will try to stay positive, I am a glass half full kind of person, but also like to stay in control of things, this has thrown me, Thank goodness for this support really appreciate it :-D
mabelcasson22
UKFM Member

Postby mabelcasson22 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Thank you Lindilou for the positive advice :-D Was thinking or hoping that they may find more grey cells, than I think I've got :lol: Am thankful for the support much appreciated :blowkiss:
mabelcasson22
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:44 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mabelcasson22 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi Denys thanks for the welcome :wave:
mabelcasson22
UKFM Member

Postby Itsnotinmyhead » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:27 am

Hi Mabelcasson22

Glad you have found your way to this website and forum.
I have had several MRI scans and it think the part I was not prepared for was the noise. :shooting:
It sounds like someone is drilling the road up outside your house, then it stops, then it starts again, and so on.

I know this sounds silly, but it might help to lay still on your bed with your arms folded over your chest and legs straight with a pillow under your knees and just close your eyes and relax for a while. :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1:
Then when you are having the scan you can think yourself back to your cosy bed.

I know you have the noisy driller to contend with :shooting: but they give you ear plugs for that which do help. I always ask how long the scan will take and then sometimes count the seconds down while I am having the scan.

I have always been given a button to press in case I need help. :hit1: I haven't needed to, but knowing I can has always helped.
The people have always been nice and supportive.
I don't know if you use pain patches, but I have always had to remove mine, as well as jewellery I am wearing, so now I leave it at home and take a replacement patch with me.

The only other advice I would give is to make sure you are as comfortable as possible, even if getting comfortable takes a couple of minutes. The staff are used to helping people get comfy. Ask for a soft wedge under your knees if you feel you need one and take your time. It will help while you have the scan.

I hope you don't have to wait too long.
Let us know how you get on.

:grouphug:
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
― Maya Angelou
Itsnotinmyhead
UKFM Member

MRI

Postby mabelcasson22 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Itsnotinmyhead
Thank you for the advice much appreciated :-D
mabelcasson22
UKFM Member

Postby mabelcasson22 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:04 pm

Itsnotinmyhead wrote:Hi Mabelcasson22

Glad you have found your way to this website and forum.
I have had several MRI scans and it think the part I was not prepared for was the noise. :shooting:
It sounds like someone is drilling the road up outside your house, then it stops, then it starts again, and so on.

I know this sounds silly, but it might help to lay still on your bed with your arms folded over your chest and legs straight with a pillow under your knees and just close your eyes and relax for a while. :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1:
Then when you are having the scan you can think yourself back to your cosy bed.

I know you have the noisy driller to contend with :shooting: but they give you ear plugs for that which do help. I always ask how long the scan will take and then sometimes count the seconds down while I am having the scan.

I have always been given a button to press in case I need help. :hit1: I haven't needed to, but knowing I can has always helped.
The people have always been nice and supportive.
I don't know if you use pain patches, but I have always had to remove mine, as well as jewellery I am wearing, so now I leave it at home and take a replacement patch with me.

The only other advice I would give is to make sure you are as comfortable as possible, even if getting comfortable takes a couple of minutes. The staff are used to helping people get comfy. Ask for a soft wedge under your knees if you feel you need one and take your time. It will help while you have the scan.

I hope you don't have to wait too long.
Let us know how you get on.

:grouphug:

Cheers advice was very much appreciated :-D
mabelcasson22
UKFM Member

Got the MRI date

Postby mabelcasson22 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:15 am

Hi everyone have got my MRI date and speaking to my friend yesterday about the ones she has had, is not making me feel any calmer :( am going to phone them later today to ask a few questions :?: I have started doing some aqua classes to see if it has any benefits, up to now can't say if it's making a difference, but only on my second week ;-) I have finished moving the huge amount of soil in the garden, so that has helped :-D Am having a week off work, into my fourth day and only managed two lie in's :lol: got to get my breakfast and ready for the next aqua class catch u all later :-)
Last edited by mabelcasson22 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mabelcasson22
UKFM Member

Re: Advice about PIP please

Postby mabelcasson22 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Hello can anyone help? I have spoken to a friend who has fibromyalgia and she suggested I apply for pip....not sure if I would qualify as I work in a launderette which is obviously heavy work :-? I do struggle and have gone to taking tramadol daily and continually, which I previously didn't, I don't want to give up work, so think I will not be eligible for the pip, up to now I have not taken time off, even on my most painful days :cry: up to now I haven't been officially diagnosed, go for MRI this week, obviously I will have a valid reason to take time off once I am diagnosed, but there are only five of us who work in the launderette and don't want to let the others down....am between a rock and a hard place :-? Can u help with some advice please :-|
mabelcasson22
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello