9 yrs to get fibro diagnosis

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

9 yrs to get fibro diagnosis

Postby shelby1975 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi! I suppose I should start with a little background. I fainted out of the blue 9 yrs ago, I had a growth on y thyroid and had surgery to remove the right side completely. I am on no medication for this apparently my thyroid levels are on the borderline so this doesn't warrant any treatment.

I have been unwell from ever since. It started with being tired and my feet burning. I did a physical job at the time and was very active gym 3 times a week and daily dog walking on top of physical job. I suddenly jumped from a size 12 to a size 22 and found the gym was becoming dangerous for me as my legs would suddenly buckle under me.

9 yrs on I'm lucky to get a half hr walk with the pooches on a good day. Good days feel like the tail end of the flu. I still work full time but have no time or energy for a social life am currently taking tramadol just to get through it. My treatment whatever that entails will start in about 3 weeks and I have to go to pain clinic at some point.

I read the booklet and it seems I'm doing most of recommendations anyway like pacing (except on stubborn days) If I don't I'm wiped for 2-3 days after. I don't drink coffee and little tea as I live in the loo otherwise. I've been quite positive until the last 6 months where I'm crying at the drop of hat. I just don't know how to feel about this for 9 yrs I've been round in circle with the thyroid thing and now suddenly it's something completely different and I feel like I've been robbed quite frankly.

Any advice on what happens next?? And apologies for the long winded hello!! :crazy:
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split large paragraph into smaller ones for easier reading.
Shelby :)
shelby1975
UKFM Member

Re: 9 yrs to get fibro diagnosis

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:14 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily shelby :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I've split your post into smaller paragraphs as quite a few of us on here struggle when it comes to reading larger blocks of text and end up getting lost and reading the same bit over and over again :oops: :oops: :facepalm: :facepalm:

How you're feeling at the moment is fairly typical of what follows when someone is told that they have FM, most of us have been in our own similar place :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: At the moment things seem very black and bleak and there doesn't seem to be any way out of it. Give yourself a little time to let things start making a little more sense than they do at the moment, and hopefully things will then begin to lift and you'll be able to find which way you need to go.

With you saying that your treatment will starting in about 3 weeks, is that when you have your appt with the Pain Clinic??? If it is, then this Linky might be of interest, and give you an idea of what could happen during your appt. If it is for something/to see someone else, if you can tell us, we might be able to come up with something that gives you an idea about what could happen.

Wrt to your job and your employer, if you haven't told them about your FM dx, it might be worth doing so now. Once an employer is informed that an employee has a condition/illness that impacts on their abilities to do their job effectively, the employer is legally obliged to bring in "reasonable adjustments" to help the employee carry on working with their problems taken into account. Reasonable adjustments vary from role~to~role, employee~to~employee, and can help make working life that little bit more manageable.

In the meantime, have a bit of a looky and a read as you find your way around place. The boards are packed with all sorts of info and advice, so there's a good chance there may be some ideas to try out that could help in some way.

Anything that you want to know about, just ask as it doesn't usually take too long for someone to :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: along with a reply :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shelby1975 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks. I have to go to gp in 3 weeks as he should have received the consultants letter. Pain clinic I have no idea it could be months if I have to be referred again. I'll probably have a look here and there it does seem to be difficult to process information these days!!
Shelby :)
shelby1975
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 am

Hi Shelby and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello