Currently undiagnosed - exploring possibilities

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Currently undiagnosed - exploring possibilities

Postby InkyBob » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi all,

I've signed up here as I'm increasingly thinking FM may well tie up several health issues I have had going on for a few years now, I'm waiting to go back to the rheumatologist and just generally feeling really fed up with my life being pretty significantly affected by pain, fatigue etc but with no clear answer to it all.

I'm 32, and live in South London. I work part time in an office job, and outside of work when I'm not asleep on the sofa, like to practice calligraphy, do linocut printmaking, and play with Fimo :)

For the last 10 years or so I've had ongoing pain in my back and hips, and occasional bursts of pain and stiffness in my wrists, knuckles, knees and toes. I've been explored for inflammatory conditions, RA etc and nothing has come back. I do have several herniated discs in my lumbar spine, now the discs are desiccated. I've also got trapped nerves running through my hips, which were treated with steroid injections.

I was investigated for hypermobility, and whilst I have some hypermobile joints, the conclusion was I don't have generalised HMS, just a few hypermobile bits.

The thing that makes me look at FM as a possibility is for a few years now I've had a deep muscle pain if I'm touched with anything firmer than a gentle poke - except this is only from the waist down! The muscles above my waist are mostly fine (around my rib cage is a bit tender) - I can be really rough with my shoulders, arms, upper back, prodding and poking with no problem. If I do the same with anywhere from the waist down I get a slow spreading intense pain like a really deep bruised feeling.

This makes no sense to me, as the whole thing about FM is, as I understand it, widespread body pain.

Humph!

Anyway, I hope you all don't mind me hanging around here whilst I try and work out what's going on with my body.
My photos on Flickr (a bit of a motley assortment!) https://www.flickr.com/photos/mysight
InkyBob
UKFM Member

Re: Currently undiagnosed - exploring possibilities

Postby denys » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi and :welcome: the usual diagnosis of FM is made following wide spread pain felt in all 4 quadrants of the body for more than 3 months and after all other possibilities have been ruled out. FM can mimic a number of other conditions and therefore it is important to have been tested thoroughly before any diagnosis is given. There are a number of tender points (18) and you need to have at least 11 of these too
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby InkyBob » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi Denys,

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm currently wondering if I should mention this when I go back to the rheumatologist - even to get FM ruled out, if appropriate.

I'm just so fed up with living with pain and tiredness and having no explanation for it. I used to get DLA, but lost it at renewal despite my pain & mobility being worse, not better. Appeal failed, have reapplied, was turned down, and now waiting to go to tribunal in a couple of weeks. Having no diagnosis doesn't help as I'm sure they just think I'm lying!
My photos on Flickr (a bit of a motley assortment!) https://www.flickr.com/photos/mysight
InkyBob
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:12 pm

I would mention it definitely especially if you pose it more as a question, then it doesnt sound like you are trying to do their jobs for them :-D :-D Living with chronic pain is difficult and does get you down, having a diagnosis should not hamper your claim for DLA because it is the effect the condition (ie Pain) is having on your day to day life, not the name.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for your appeal/tribunal
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello