Shocked - just got diagnosis

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shocked - just got diagnosis

Postby Crafty_Lady » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:27 am

Hello everyone

I have just come across this website to try to learn a bit more about this condition. I was told yesterday that i have Fibromyalgia. For several years i have had operation after operation, and last year i had a really bad slipped disc - had the op and then a few months after had to have another back op for a Facetectomy. So this is why i have been diagnosed. I am kinda in the "can't quite understand/shock" of it at the mo. I am on several painkillers and i am going to be having Hydro therapy. I have ordered a Tens machine after advice from seeing a pain clinic advisor. My pain is really bad, as well as other symptoms including, itching, not liking loud environments, sensitive to bright light, sore jaw, headaches, tired and when i had the pressure points touched it was super painful. The other main symptom is extreme exhaustion, i just feel so tired all the time, so i don't sleep well either as of the pain. I am also on an anti-depressant and suffer from high anxiety.

I am 31 years old and i live in Devon, on Dartmoor.

Any help or advice would be great as i am so new to this.

Thank you, Emma.
Crafty_Lady
UKFM Member

Re: Shocked - just got diagnosis

Postby denys » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:54 am

Hi Emma and :welcome: to the forum, there is a lot of advice on here so have a read through some of the posts and if you have any specific questions then ask away. Also have a read through the basic rules for membership as this helps you to understand the site a little.

I would suggest giving yourself a little bit of time to come to terms with your diagnosis, always remember fibro affects everyone differently and so you need to find out what works best for you, TENS machines are considered a good buy by lots of members so :fingerscrossed: yours works for you :-D :-D :-D

Pace always break tasks down into small chunks and rest in between each bit, slow and steady always. Keep active even if it is small amounts of activity because if you become completely sedentary then you will stiffen up even more and the pain will increase.

I hope we can give you the support you need when you need it, just ask we are here to listen :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Shocked - just got diagnosis

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:46 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily Emma :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I wish it was nicer circumstances that had brought you to us :( :( :( Now you're part of our family, we'll do what we can to help you find your way thru the maze you're currently in thanks to FM.

How you're feeling at the moment is pretty much how most of us felt when we were told we have FM, as if you've been turned downside~up and outside~in, then just dumped on your head and left to try and find your way out of it. It's something that really can't be hurried either, if you do try and take a shortcut, as well as being dumped back on your head, you usually end up being well and truly bitten on the :girl_moon: :girl_moon: as well :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

As Denys has said, there is a vast amount of info and advice across the boards, so starting off by having a bit of a looky and a read as you find your way around the place is a good thing to do. You never know, you may come across some useful suggestions/ideas to try out. And you can always ask about things, it doesn't usually take too long for someone to :horse_running: :horse_running: :horse_running: with a reply.

We understand what this condition can put you thru, so we try and support each other, esp during those times when a few extra :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: can make all the difference :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello