[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Diagnosed yesterday

Diagnosed yesterday

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diagnosed yesterday

Postby shoog » Tue May 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Hello everyone! This isn't actually my first hello, but my previous hello was quite a while ago and I hadn't been diagnosed yet.

I'm Lauren, I'm 27 and I live in Glasgow.

I finally got some answers from the rheumy yesterday when they said that they're certain that it's fibro that has been causing my symptoms. Which is good to know, because sometimes just having someone just acknowledge that it's real and that you're not just going mad is really reassuring!

I also have a few other health problems, sarcoidosis being the other biggie.

It's getting to the stage now where I am finding it really difficult to manage even part time work. I'm really struggling with pain and fatigue. I'm going to speak to my GP about whether I have her support to apply for PIP but if I'm honest I have a lot of reservations, and the whole process sounds so stressful and I already have enough problems with stress and anxiety - I really don't want to add to it. But I'm really struggling and I don't have many options left. My social life has fallen to bits and I am trying to complete a university degree and that's not going too well either. I also care for my mum who has lots of health problems, but even that knocks me for six. It's very difficult trying to manage everything, as I'm sure you all know very well.

The rheumy has prescribed amitriptyline as the first thing to try. I'm quite hesitant because I've heard a lot of negative things, but here's hoping... :S

Anyway, nice to meet you all. I hope to learn more about fibro from all of you!
Lauren
shoog
UKFM Member

Re: Diagnosed yesterday

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 13, 2014 4:30 pm

:welcome: Back Lauren :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Glad to hear you've finally got an answer to what is behind the various things that have been affecting you, I'm with you on how much difference it can make when someone listens to what you have to say and confirms that you're not going completely :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: {Well not just yet anyway :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: }

Wrt to claiming PIP, and other benefits, it can be a very stressful process, involving quite a lot of waiting in some cases. However, there are ways to try and make things a little less fraught, and hopefully give you a fighting chance of things going as smoothly as possible. Support organisations such as can provide advice and assistance. A quick asking of Mr Googly should give you an idea of who is in your area, or your local council may well have details of such organisations. Some councils also have advisers who may be able to help with things, so contacting yours might be another option for you.

There are sites with advice on how complete the forms, about assessments etc which may he helpful. Some, such as have some general info that can be accessed by anyone who joins the site, but to access more detailed guides, an annual fee needs to be paid. There are others who have quite detailed info packs that can be downloaded and saved to be used at your leisure. If you ask Mr Googly about a condition/illness and advice for the benefit you're looking into, he should be able to give you some linkys to sites and their sections/info about claiming benefits.

Amitriptyline is one of the first meds often tried in managing FM. For some it can make a real difference to their sleep and pain issues, so it's worth giving it a go. With it being an anti~d, it needs time to build up in your system to fully take effect, which can take a month to 6 weeksish, altho some have said they have felt benefits after shorter periods of time. It can have some unpleasant side effects, but they do tend to start easing off after a while.

Think I've waffled at you for enough for now :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi and welcome. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last year and fibro in Feb this year. I am a 34 yr old married mum to three kids. I was put on Amitriptyline when I was diagnosed. It is a Godsend! I sleep like a log now instead of that awful insomnia I had for years. I love it! I am also on tramadol and ibuprofen to manage my pain and a pill to protect my tummy from the ibuprofen. I also have an underactive thyroid. I've had really bad days starting from Jan really, I've shed a few tears due to the pain and feeling low. My vitamin D was really low too. I now feel so much happier in myself. Possibly the vit D pills and the Amitriptyline (as it's an anti depressant). My pain isnt as bad as it was before the ami. I still have pain but I am learning to manage it better. I have found that sitting down for long periods of time makes me feel a lot worse than when I am constantly moving. So I move as much as I can. It really helps me. I saw my new rheumy nurse today and she has recommended Pilates to help with the stretching etc. So I will be ordering a great DVD I have found online. She says a def no to yoga as it can make you feel worse.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue May 13, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi Lauren and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello