Hi Everyone

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi Everyone

Postby Fox77 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:40 pm

Just a quick post to introduce myself to everyone on the forums. I was diagnosed with FM roughly 3 months ago after nearly a year of various transferring pains, normal blood tests and countless visits to my GP. I'm male, I'm 27 years old, I live in Bristol and I work full time however I am a little worried that the condition could potentially ruin what has been an relatively successful short term career.

Symptoms I've been suffering from are: Transferring muscular type pain which can scatter from my shoulders, to my neck, to my wrists, to my elbows and to the sides of my body. I've also been suffering with very sincere jaw joint pain on and off which makes it difficult to eat, along with pain in my feet which can make it very difficult to walk without limping and tends to be worse at the start of the day affecting solely the ball joint area of your toes which you spring on to walk. Along with these FM pains, I've also got on/off IBS, acid reflux/dyspepsia and a slightly enlarged spleen.

As for pain relief, I tried Amitriptyline to start with, however I've been suffering from a very dry mouth for quite a while and the Amitriptyline just made it worse so I decided to stop taking them. I do have a prescription of Tramadol, and later on this evening I will start taking Nortriptyline, which my doctor has recommended as it has less side effects and is generally a more-expensive-to-manufacture better drug, but I'll see how I get on. I also tend to apply deep heat or use a hot water bottle to assist with pain relief. I've found alcohol makes the symptoms worse, especially the day after and also when I eat a lot of gluten I tend to feel worse. I've currently cut down a lot on both alcohol and gluten (never drank loads anyway) to see if that does infact help.

Sometimes it seems like nobody understands what you're going through which is why I've decided to register to these forums to share my personal experiences with others on here who can relate and hopefully gain information from others as to what helps manage it so you can get the most from life. I've found in my short time of having the condition that it can be a lonely place at times, although I've come to accept it and will continue to think positive amongst the pain I'm experiencing.
Fox77
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hi Everyone

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Welcome to the forum x I was diagnosed in Feb this year by my rheumatologist. I was also diagnosed with paoriatic arthritis last year which is why I was seeing a rheumatologist. I also have ibs although I'm unsure about that particular diagnosis! I also have an underactive thyroid. I was given Amitriptyline to help with pain and sleep. Its a Godsend. I've never slept better! I've been an insomniac for years! I dont currently work but my husband does. We have three children and I have a house to run. In the early days I was very depressed but feel much better now! I feel my positive attitude and refusing to let fibro control my life has helped with the pain. I feel much worse when in rest mode or long car journeys. Oh and I so take tramadol three times a day. A word of warning, they made me extremely sleepy for the first three days but I am ok now :)
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu May 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Fox and :welcome: to the forum positivity is a must and there is no reason to think that it will end your career, it may make you rethink some plans but hopefully not all :-D :-D :-D :-D If you have any questions then please ask and we will do our best to help :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Fox77 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Both, thank you for the information and the warm welcome :-)
Fox77
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello