[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Newbie - struggling with my GP

Newbie - struggling with my GP

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newbie - struggling with my GP

Postby dcr » Sat May 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Hello. I've noticed that the posts in here don't get many replies, I hope someone takes the time to read and reply to this as I'm really struggling and need a bit of advice.

Firsty, I dont know if I am suffering from fibromyalgia, these are the symptoms that I've got: headaches/migraines, lack of concentration, poor memory restlessness, poor sleep pattern, fatigue, pins & needles, anxiety & depression, hot & cold sweats. I've been to my GP many times over the years and I keep getting fobbed off with ''it's stress" Symptoms are getting worse and for the last few days I've had pain in my right arm, the pain is worse from my elbow to my wrist, its like a constant dull ache, and i'm struggling with things like filling my car up with petrol, I can't grip the trigger, writing, typing, driving etc. I need to go back to my GP but I'm sick and tired of being fobbed off. Can anyone advise on what I should say to be taken seriously? Has anyone else had the same poor treatment from their GP?
dcr
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newbie - struggling with my GP

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat May 17, 2014 8:42 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to our little sanctuary :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

As this part of the forum is mainly for introductions, the replies tend to be just that.....saying hello and maybe answering a question that has been asked. For something that tends to involve more detailed responses, topics tend to be posted on the other boards, and replied to accordingly.

Sadly there are far too many people who, like you, are finding that their concerns aren't being taken as serious problems by their GPs. Have you tried seeing a different GP to see if they are more understanding???

If you feel what you have been and are experiencing may be FM, there are a few things you can try to see if it helps things along. Firstly, print up some info from a reliable source that can't be disputed such Go thru the info from the site and highlight the problems and symptoms you suffer with, as well as making some notes about other issues you may have that could suggest FM is the cause of them.

When you go for your GP appt, take your notes with you as they can help remind you of what you want to say/cover, as well as being able to give them or a copy to your GP for their info/your file. Also, rather than letting/waiting for your GP to take the lead with the appt, you try to take the lead. It can be a bit uncomfortable doing this at first, but once you start, it becomes a little easier to do so. Try to be direct, yet still respectful as you explain that you have been looking at conditions which share the symptoms and problems you have, and from that research, you're now wondering if FM could be what is affecting you. Then go thru the symptoms etc that you've highlighted/noted, and ask your GP what they think, could it be a possibility, or could something else be indicated.

If this doesn't help, and you've tried different GPs at your current surgery, it may be necessary to consider changing to a different one so you can try and get those answers that you're looking for.

There's lots of other info and advice across the boards, so whilst you plan your next appt, have a bit of a looky and a read around. You may find some other helpful suggestions to try out that could help make things a little more manageable for you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dcr » Sat May 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Thanks for the replies

I've only had this constant pain in my right arm for about a week. It's really worrying me. I've got neck pain but they put it down to stress and sitting at a computer. Will I need to be in pain for 6 months?

My GP practice has 4 GP's and none of them are that good to be honest. You have to book an apt 3 weeks in advance and They have a few minutes per patient and they want you in and out as quick as possible. What I'd give for a GP who sat and listened and was interested in what I had to say and how I felt and wanted to get to the root of the cause. You have to register with a GP that is in your catchment area and there is only one other who isn't much better than mine so I dont want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire

I wonder if I went to the walk in centre tomorrow and explained about the recent pain in my arm and my other symptoms what they'd do. Can't you tell i'm clutching at straws now. I'm just so fed up of being fobbed off all the time
dcr
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun May 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Generally pain needs to be present in all 4 quadrants of the body for a period of 3~6 months when considering FM as a possible dx. The pain you have had for the past week may not be considered for part of a dx~ing process, but could be considered part of a flare~up of symptoms/problems that can be experienced at any time, with or without a dx.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Mon May 19, 2014 2:00 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum I agree with the others I would suggest keeping a diary of symptoms on a day to day basis and showing it to your doc. If you arent happy with the doc's response then change docs either at the surgery you are with or if that isnt possible then to another surgery
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello