Hello/Stomach cramps

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello/Stomach cramps

Postby Gilly52 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:28 pm

Hello everyone

I'm new on here, a brief introduction, I'm married, have suffered from fibro, anxiety & depression for 13years, spent my working life in accountancy but due to ill health had to retire way too early !!

I would like to know if anyone has problems with stomach cramps, it has been going on for the last 8months and my GP said it was diverticulitis, however after having a colonoscopy at the hospital last week, the consultant could see no sign of diverticular disease, the cramps are still present on and off and now I am at a loss what to do except to eat as healthily as I can, with plenty of fruit and veg, this way I hope to steer away from the use of laxatives, as in the past I have wondered if laxative use has aggravated my stomach muscles.
I know everyone is different and we all suffer pain in many different areas of our bodies, but this one is giving me big problems.

I think the exhaustion and the brain fog are my worst symptoms, and find low concentration levels very frustrating.

I look forward to hearing from you, and hopefully we can exchange some positive and helpful advice.
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Re: Hello/Stomach cramps

Postby Theresa34 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Some meds can cause stomach pain. When I was on naproxen for my arthritis I got really bad stomach pains. They went away once I stopped them. A lot of ibuprofen can cause stomach ulcers. Perhaps you're better off having an endoscopy to check your stomach.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue May 20, 2014 6:40 pm

I agree with Theresa, meds can cause stomach issues.

Quite a few of us suffer with some sort of stomach/bowel issues. I do have IBS as well as diverticulitis but I get awful stomach cramps at times that the Dr's say have nothing to do with either of those conditions. They do not give me any other explanation though, LOL

I find that a lot of foods bother me now, I very seldom have alcohol and then it will be a half bottle of one of those coolers. Sometimes the pain just is unbelievable, I have dropped to the floor with it.

Nothing new shows up but the Dr's have witnessed the pain.

I would keep letting your Dr know how this bothers you. Have they checked gall bladder etc ?

I feel for you because you know there is pain but nobody seems to be able to diagnose or help you.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Gilly52 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks to both of you for your replies, much appreciated.

I agree that pain meds can have strong side effects to a sensitive stomach and have been unable to take Ibuprofen for years.

My husband recently had his gall bladder removed and the pain he experienced was a lot higher up than mine, as you say it is frustrating when nothing shows on a scan or such like, the GP's seem to be at a loss what to say.

I do find a lot of dairy foods in my diet can be too much to tolerate, I tend to leave something out of my diet then try to introduce it again in say 14days, sometimes you can get a more positive result yourself this way. I have been patch tested at the hospital for different things e.g. wheat etc., the only thing that showed up was grasses.......I suffered with bad hay fever from the age of 10 until I started taking amitripylene in my 50's !!
However when I see my GP next I will impress upon him that stomach cramps are still a painful issue, I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks for making me feel welcome, and I hope everyone is having a good a day as possible X
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 20, 2014 10:37 pm

:welcome: to our little FibroFamily Gilly :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Stomach cramps, and other digestive/bowel issues quite often tag along with FM, and seem to affect a good number of us in varying degrees. With FM affecting muscles, as well as other soft tissues, it is possible that the bands of muscles that run the length of the intestines could be affected, giving rise to the cramps you experience. Another possibility could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome, where the peristaltic action of the intestines goes out of sync/into spasms, giving rise to the cramps, pain etc. Might be another possibility to add to your list of things to ask your GP about as IBS is an often associated condition of/with FM.

You'll find lots of other info and advice on here, support and understanding, and even a few :teddy-bear: :bear-dancing: :teddy-bear: [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] and a bit of fairy_dust fairy_dust fairy_dust fairy_dust all of which helps with getting thru the FibroDays.

Anything you want to know about, just ask, and we'll do our best to try and help you with it :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Gilly52 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks FluppyPuffy for your lovely welcome.

Reading your reply, with advice, has given me some" food for thought" for when I see my GP next.

Hope everyone is having a reasonable day X :-)
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello