[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Need help with my physio!!

Need help with my physio!!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Need help with my physio!!

Postby Bellanite » Thu May 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Hello

I hope someone can help me or give me some advise with regards to my physio and what else I can do.

I have had fibro officially for about 3 years and it seems to be getting worse. I have widespread pain in my lower back, knees & legs giving way for no reason, and have developed numbness and pain in both of my shoulders and arms. I have plantar fasciitis in both feet, I have also got Achilles tendonosis in both ankles which was diagnosed 2 years ago by ultrasound. It is so bad that I haven't been able to walk without crutches for the last 18 months and I am in constant pain even with meds (tramadol & amatriptaline).

I have had ~18 months of physio including hydrotherapy, aircast boot, eccentric exercise, inserts in my shoes with no improvement. I finally had an MRI scan and it has showed that the tendonosis has healed but I am still in pain.

Because of the scans my physio has told me I have to walk without the crutches stating "your not doing any damage so you just have to get on with it" what he doesn't seem to understand is the absolute agony I'm in. I now realise that the pain is the fibro but I just don't know how to get the message across to him. I have tried time and again, I have done everything they have asked of me over the last year and a half, I do the exercises, relaxation techniques, have been on a pain management course to cope but I just don't know what to do as my legs just don't want to play ball.

I work full time and have a great employer but if they take the stick from me I don't think I will be able to do my job as I wouldn't be able to get there. Any advise would be appreciated as I'm getting so stressed with it and I'm at the end of my tether :-(

Sorry about the rant

Bella
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Thu May 22, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer, as well as twiddled with punctuation/grammar, for easier reading.
Bellanite
UKFM Newbie

Re: Need help with my physio!!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 22, 2014 2:46 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Bellanite :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I've jiffled you over into here with this being your first post. I've also made some of the paragraphs in your post a little clearer and easier to read. One of the delights FM likes to bestow on a number of us is problems with reading larger blocks of text :oops: :oops: :oops: We often end up getting lost and reading the same bit over and over again :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think pretty much all of us are in pain most of the time even tho we have a varied cocktail of meds and things to try and help manage it, so really understand how you are feeling. There are also a number on here who use sticks, crutches and/or other aids to help with getting around, so will understand how distressing it is for you to be told to walk without the crutches. With how long you have been using them, I would have thought that some additional therapy would be needed to gradually help get you back to a point of walking without them :-? :-? :-? Please forgive my wafflings as it's an area I've not experienced yet, so no really helpful advice from me on how to get the message across to your physio {apart from maybe a whack to the head with a crutch :shock: :shock: :shock: } Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will be along shortly with something slightly more sensible than what I can come up with :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

The only things in my mind are talking to your GP to see if something can be done wrt to being issued with crutches that cannot be disputed by the physio, or buying your own pair to use, as a few on here have done.

Sorry I can't be much help with this particular problem :( :( :( Now you've joined our FibroFamily tho, have a bit of a looky round and see what there is across the boards, you may come across some other nuggets of info that could prove helpful in some way, shape or form.

Anything else you're wanting to know about, just ask and we'll try and point you in the direction of a helpful answer :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Thu May 22, 2014 3:43 pm

As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Bellanite » Fri May 23, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks Guys

I think the problem is that they have been treating and concentrating on the tendonosis. They have been telling me for over a year that it is the physical change in my ankles which is causing the pain and not the fibro but now they are saying the opposite.

I am surprised at the physio's reaction due to the fact he is a senior physio practitioner and should know better, I'm seeing him again today so will see what is said.

I've got myself an action plan for the appointment and have written down all the questions I need to/want to ask including some of the points you have made (thanks Lisa),I always get so foggy at appointments and don't get my points across very well or just forget to ask.

My legs have been giving way for over 5 years and it is not a strength issue according to the doc, its just that every so often when I go to put my foot down it feels like there is nothing there and I end up on the floor.
I've spoke to my GP and rheumatologist about it and they don't seem very concerned they have done strength and reflex tests all were normal. They first thought it could be due to the meds I was on so changed them but it still happened so now my rheumatologist has just put it down to being part of the fibro.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Bella
Bellanite
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri May 23, 2014 10:01 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby carolad » Fri May 23, 2014 2:08 pm

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 23, 2014 2:31 pm

With the NHS they have to stick with a strict regime and cannot do or offer any other therapy/treatments as there refraining from working hands on now. Its more of an approach to teach us how to help ourselves with stretching exercises etc...

This is why private physio is more of a benefit to us as they will do hands on and a whole range of various therapies.

Yes private physio is expensive and i have been through so many over 15 years. I found some private to be usless, some ok and others not too bad until i found the very first physio i saw on the NHS privatly and have stuck with her for over 10 years now.

I always say its like seeking a hairdresser. You try many different people until you find the "one" :-D

Its also working as a team with the physio until you find something that benefits you.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Where to Say Hello