Hello.

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello.

Postby Jacky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi. This is all extremely alien to me. I don't even know if I'm in the right place :roll: I have never been part of a forum before, so please excuse me if I seem nervous. I would have written on here before, but I forgot which password I used, and got extremely muddled by the whole logging in process, I gave up! Months later, I decided to give it another go, and :-o I got in!!!!

Ok, I'll introduce myself, (though, I may have already done this previously.) I'm 53, and I'm Mum to 3 grown up girls, Step Mum to 2 grown up boys, and Granny to 4 grandsons, and a granddaughter on the way. I have been married twice. I trained in the 80's as a State Enrolled Nurse. I had to leave due to a neck injury, and I also felt like I had the flu, that wouldn't go away. :( I then re-trained as a counsellor with Relate in the 90's. I had to leave this because of what I now realise was fibromyalgia. I just stopped being able to listen to clients. I forgot what they said only minutes before. I couldn't remember if I had done something or not.

That along with constant pain, everywhere, I went to my GP. This was in 2002, I wasn't diagnosed until 2008. Since then, I haven't worked, I've tried a concoction of tablets, my pain has got worse, my mobility is worse, I get so confused my head hurts, I have about 2-3 hours of sleep at night, I just crash in the daytime utterly exhausted.

My main worry now is money, or lack of it. I'm not on benefits as I just thought, because my husband works, I won't be entitled to anything. I've used up all my savings, and now I feel I've become invisible. People don't even know I exist. I don't pay tax, I have no income. I have to ask my husband for some cash if I need to get anything, and his money doesn't stretch that far.

When I read all the horror stories from other desperate people trying to claim some money, my heart sinks. What chance do I have. The whole system is so confusing, I can't work it out. Sorry if I seem so negative, but this is the first time I've written it all down. Don't know which direction to go for help. I could do with some advice, please. :cry: Thanks for reading. XXX
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
Jacky55
UKFM Member

Re: Hello.

Postby denys » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:45 pm

Hi Jacky and :welcome: to the forum, go and get some proper advice from a benefits advisor, they can look at what you have coming in and say whether or not you would be entitled to something.

There is always PIP (former DLA) and although its supposed to be harder to get if you fit the criteria then you will be entitled to something.

Try CAB/DIAL or even your local social services as they can give you advice too, also your local job centre. If you dont try then you wont get anything and it could be you are sitting there without when you are entitled to some help :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jacky55 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Thankyou Denys, I definitely will try and get to see an advisor. I have tried before, but something always seems to happen , and I loose my confidence, and give up. I think a complete lack of confidence is my biggest barrier, also I have become so muddled, I feel so stupid. I know it's self built, but I will see what I can do. I'll let you know how I get on. X :-)
Jacky55
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Look forward to hearing you have managed to get there, before you go write down all the questions you have and that saves the fibrofog from screwing everything up :-D :-D :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:36 am

:welcome: to our FibroFamily Jacky :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Jacky55 wrote:I have tried before, but something always seems to happen , and I loose my confidence, and give up. I think a complete lack of confidence is my biggest barrier, also I have become so muddled, I feel so stupid. I know it's self built, but I will see what I can do. I'll let you know how I get on. X :-)

I'm right next to you with loosing confidence when it comes to doing things Jacky. From tackling everything that came at me head on, these days I tend to hide away and leave it to my OH to tackle instead.

Anyhows, hopefully you'll manage to find a bit of extra braveness to go and see someone what you may be able to claim :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: And if there's a little of that braveness left, please send it to me as I could put it to some good use :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jacky55 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Hello FluppyPuffy. Thankyou so much for your warm welcome. :-D I really hope that on the day I get to see someone, my fibro won't mess it up. The problem with me is, when I speak to strangers, I get my words all muddled up, and when I'm trying to listen to them, I'm concentrating so hard, I forget what is being said! It's ridiculous. Denys suggested writing everything down, which is a brilliant idea, as long as they don't rush me. When I think about who I used to be before fibro. I always believed in onwards and upwards, not crash bang wallop Fibro!!! :crazy: I'm like you, my hubby always does all of the paperwork in our house, I can never get my head in gear, to understand what's going on.
Anyway, I'm just about to make the phone call, to kick start hopefully, getting some sort of financial help. :yikes:
I'll keep you posted. Thankyou once again and best wishes to you. :flowers:
Jacky55
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello