[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Advice needed

Advice needed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice needed

Postby jan65 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Think I originally posted this in the wrong bit usually just lurk around but decided to finally make a post.

Hello my name is Jan

I'am female aged 48 married with 3 grown up children, I need advice because often wonder if I have FM.

To cut a very long story short about 25yrs ago I was tested for FM by my rheumatologist as I had been suffering with symptoms for a few years first symptoms was pain in muscles in all parts of my body also exhaustion, restless jumping legs and unable to sleep, then I developed swollen hands that were very painful, so painful it hurt to hold my toothbrush. As the years have gone by I was diagnosed with sero negative Rheumatoid I take various medication to slow this down. and I have never received a FM diagnosis. 2yrs ago I developed trochanteric bursitis .

Was given the usual treatment guided injections which helped for about 3 months although didn't cure it. in march this year I had to drop my hours at work, and change my job as I could no longer do all the running about I did. I found it very painful standing and working, even for only a few hours.

I had one of these magic injections in April that's suposed to make you feel like a new woman this had no effect on me at all I have since then gone on a downward spiral. my back went 4 weeks ago and my phisyo said it due to the bursitis as my back taking the strain and is not designed to do this. iam in so much pain I find it really hard to walk. my back is healing but iam so scared it will happen again as the pain in my hips is so bad and I am putting my back under more strain. my next guied injection is not till august.

I was hoping to return to work next week but this is looking doubtful. does this sound like FM to you guys??? could I have FM and still be sero negative??? please help I feel so confused and alone and can no longer hide behind my smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer, as well as twiddled with punctuation/grammar, for easier reading.
jan65
UKFM Newbie

Re: Advice needed

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi jan and welcome. I've never heard of sero negative so can't comment on that. But to answer your question, yes it is possible you could have fibromyalgia as well as the other conditions you mentioned. You mentioned you had fatigue, muscle pain etc 25 yrs ago, do you still suffer with all the symptoms you listed? We aren't going to be able to say if it is fibro but you do seem to have some of the symptoms of it. Having said that, this condition shares similar symptoms with several other illnesses too so it's really hard to say.

I would suggest you go back to your g.p and ask them to do the 18 tender point check on you as this should indicate whether you do have fibro too. I would also suggest printing out a list of symptoms and tick off on it all the symptoms you have and take that with you to your appointment to show your g.p exactly what's happening and take it from there. Your g.p can diagnose it themselves but u may find they send you to either a neurologist or rheumatologist to get a diagnosis if they suspect you do have it.

Sorry I can't be more help but hope this helps you with what to say to your dr. Good luck and keep us posted how you get on x
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:02 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum all I can say is that I concur with the poster above, go to your GP and ask the question
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:17 pm

:welcome: to our little escape from it all Jan :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

With you making two very similar posts, I've removed the one on the "Introduce Yourself" topic to save on the chaos and mayhem that tags along with duplicated/very similar posts.

From a quick consult with Dr Googley, it seems that sero negative relates to Rheumatoid Arthritis, with around 70% of those with RA being sero~positive, and the rest being sero~positive.

I'll hope you'll appreciate that we can't really say if what you have described could be FM. To get that answer, I'm afraid you will need to go back to your GP, or rheumy if you still one, and ask about the possibility of FM being the cause of these additional symptoms and problems. As well as relating to FM, the things you have described could be attributed to a number of other conditions too, incl RA.

When someone thinks/is wondering if they might have FM, what we usually suggest is that they compile a list of their symptoms and problems, then compare that to available info which explains about FM, such as the main or You can then use this info to help explain why you think you may have FM. Hopefully, from there thigs will start whirring into action to help you get those answers you're desperate for.

It is possible to have FM alongside other conditions, which may be the case for you. It's something that has had occurred to quite a fe of us along the way, and there are a number of conditions which are/can be associated with FM, incl CFS/ME and RA.

There is lots of other info and advice across the boards, so when you have a mo, have a bit of a looky around. You may find some additional ideas and suggestions to try out which could help make you feel a little more comfortable.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello