Hello from the USA...

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello from the USA...

Postby JustMe86 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:21 am

Hi there,

My name is Natalie. I'm twenty-seven years old and I live in California in the United States. I joined this forum for a couple of reasons...Firstly, I have a neuropathic pain syndrome. Second, the fibromyalgia forums that are USA sites in which I have joined are not very active. And thirdly, my chronic fatigue tends to dominate my sleep/wake cycle, which is very off, and the times in which I'm usually awake are nighttime here in America, but would be daytime in the UK. (I'm getting at the fact that people don't tend to post or be active on forums in the middle of the night...)

I've been disabled and on disability income since I was seventeen. I still live with my parents who help me with day to day activities. My illness has been called a myriad of things... Mostly chronic fatigue syndrome and neuropathic pain syndrome NOS (not otherwise specified), or chronic widespread pain w/o physical origin, and chronic pain in adjunct to major depression. In the recent months, my doctor has started to think that it's fibromyalgia, but is having a hard time deciding whether to diagnose it as that or not. In the USA, it's a controversial diagnosis - some doctors don't believe it exists or that it's psychosomatic; others believe it's an adjunct to pain that accompanies depressive disorders; and others think it's an umbrella term for a slough of pain disorders that haven't been recognized yet. I don't know anyone else in my life who has chronic fatigue/chronic widespread pain. It's fairly lonely... I thought that perhaps joining a forum would provide some support.

I suffer with terrible pain all over my body, migraines, derealization episodes, chronic fatigue, and depression. The pain and sleepiness are so bad that my quality of life is pretty limited - I only have maybe a couple hours a day in which to get things done. I'm being treated for the fatigue with 80mg Ritalin/methylphenidate. My pain is being treated with 600mg Neurontin/gabapentin and 30mg morphine. The medication helps significantly, but I'm often dizzy, hazy, confused, and sleepy. I've been pretty inactive lately which is making things worse. I'd like to start doing some things with my lifestyle to improve my condition but don't know what to do or how... I was hoping maybe I could learn something from reading other peoples' posts regarding how they manage from day to day.

On a lighter note, I enjoy reading - and lots of it, taking short walks with my dog, being a part of the UK's Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids (i.e. spirituality), reading Japanese comics and watching anime, yoga, watching tv and movies, hiking, camping, and snowboarding - when I'm physically able to.

So, that's my introduction... Thanks for having me here :)

--Natalie
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how,"
--Friedrich Nietzsche
JustMe86
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello from the USA...

Postby ouchisme » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:33 am

:welcome: justme

i have seen member from different forums etc chat away as they can't sleep and someone else in another time zone is up. Fb too much for me informational wise at the moment. But i normally float about in the mornings as thats the best time for. Rest of the day i am either in bed or out of it with fog. So i hope to see you pop up at some time other and say hey
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi Natalie and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby JustMe86 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:27 am

Thank you! I appreciate the warm responses :)
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how,"
--Friedrich Nietzsche
JustMe86
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:16 am

Natalie, welcome. I am in Canada but I was born in the UK. I enjoy this forum because I feel I can relate to the people here more.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello