New to forum

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New to forum

Postby TeejThorne » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:58 am

Hi I am new here today. i have just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia on Tuesday 8th July 2014. I have been having symptoms for about 25 years on and off, now the symptoms are just full on. I have been given Gabapentin to start with. Im 44 and i am an accountant. Typing and writing are very hard for me but most of all is the tiredness and fatigue especially if im having a bad morning as i drive to and from work 56 miles round trip.

Can anyone give me any advise this is all new to me xx

Thank you in advance

Tj
TeejThorne
UKFM Member

Re: New to forum

Postby denys » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi Tj and :welcome: to the forum I have moved you into here as this is your introductory post and hopefully you will get more hits on this board than the other.

Have a read up of some of the posts that are ongoing at the moment and they should give you some basic information and show the types of problems and some solutions that members are describing.

If you need a specific question answering then please just ask, if you try to put things in the appropriate boards it makes things a little easier for other members to find your post and offer you some support especially during these early days, the thing that I feel is the most important rule for us is to pace.

Listen to your body when it runs out of energy then something has to give and in most cases its your health. I hope we can offer you what you need so look around and we are glad to have you :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby TeejThorne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 am

Thank you for the welcome im a little overwelmed with it all and still taking it in xxx
TeejThorne
UKFM Member

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am

Hello and welcome :)

How are you finding the gabapentin?
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:12 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to our little FibroFamily TeeJ.

Feeling somewhat overwhelmed when you've been told you FM is something that most of us have experienced, so you're in good company on here. Give yourself some time to let things start to sink in, and it will start to make a little more sense to you.

The Gabapentin you have been prescribed needs time to get into your system and take effect. This can be anything from 1 to 3 months, so try not to worry about not feeling any benefits just yet. The dosage also tends to be increased over a period of time as well, which contributes to the length of time it can take for benefits to be felt.

The tiredness/fatigue is something that floors pretty much all of us at various points along the way. As Denys has said, learning to listen to what your body is telling you is key to living with FM as your capabilities and limits change, sometimes numerous times thru a day. The way we tend to get thru a day is by pacing ourselves. This recent topic about How To Pace Yourself might be worth a bit of a looky to see if there is something you can use.

Have you advised your employer about your FM dx yet??? If not, then it might be worth doing fairly soon. Once an employer knows that an employee has an illness/condition/disability, under the Equalities Act, they have a legal obligation to bring in "reasonable adjustments" to help the employee continue working to the best of their ability with their health being taken into consideration. What is regarded as a "reasonable adjustment" depends on the individual, the type of job they do, their illness/condition/disability etc, but can include things like changes to start and finish times to make travelling easier, equipment and aids to help with comfort when carrying out duties, working from home some days, and a whole host of other possibilities.

If you can give us some ideas about the areas you're wanting advice in/about, then maybe we can point you in the direction of some helpful suggestions you could look into and maybe even try out.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby TeejThorne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Thank you for the welcome, yes my boss knows all about it now and I have given him some paperwork on it. Im an accountant and sometimes its hard to keep my eyes open but he is happy for me to take cat naps which normally only happen in the mornings, as that seems to be my worse time. I also have a round trip of about 55 miles to get to work and back which is hard on me tbh, i cant take public transport as i live so far away and in the country buses etc are not frequent so i have to drive.

The meds i am building up to three times a day as they can make youquite sick my doctor says and im going back to see her in a month to see how im getting on with it. wish me luck :)

Its nice to be somewhere where people understand what your going through its very hard to explain to those not suffering from it. <3 Im real happy to be here.

Thank you for having me x
TeejThorne
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm

TeejThorne wrote:Thank you for the welcome, yes my boss knows all about it now and I have given him some paperwork on it. Im an accountant and sometimes its hard to keep my eyes open but he is happy for me to take cat naps which normally only happen in the mornings, as that seems to be my worse time. I also have a round trip of about 55 miles to get to work and back which is hard on me tbh, i cant take public transport as i live so far away and in the country buses etc are not frequent so i have to drive.

When I was working, I had a similar length round trip, so I have an idea of what it can do to you. Altho it was pre~FM, I had a baby at the time, so some nights sleep was as scarce as it tends to be now, and having to negotiate motorways and roundabouts was a challenge to say the least :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Are there any colleagues who live part of the way between you and work??? I was wondering if you could possibly arrange/participate some sort of car buddy/sharing scheme. Altho you would still be travelling the same distance, only effectively having to drive the full distance for one out of a number of weeks, depending on how many were involved in the car buddy/scheme, might help alleviate some of the problem. Or what about a park and ride option??? Altho you'd still need to drive there, but it could mean that for part of the journey some of the stress relating to driving could be eased :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby TeejThorne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks for the ideas hun, no unfortunately i have no buddies this side of work, I come from Rainham to Canterbury and my work colleague comes from Dover to cantebrury. No park and rides either, I get Mind fog when im driving tired its so scary sometimes :( xx
TeejThorne
UKFM Member

Postby TeejThorne » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:03 am

Hi Lisa

Thank you for the welcome xxx <3

I am now on the full dose today of the pills and they kinda work but i guess i was expecting to be pain free lol
TeejThorne
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello