[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Newbie finding it hard to cope

Newbie finding it hard to cope

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newbie finding it hard to cope

Postby refia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Hello everyone, I just joined the forum today.

I was diagnosed with fibro back in 2007 or so. Since then, I've had to give up work and I'm currently on Incapacity Benefit.

I've recently come back from my annual long weekend in Blackpool which I had to cut short because I realized I just couldn't handle another day of walking around/being on my feet most of the day,etc. This has never happened to me before and it came as a real shock and left me extremely upset, worrying about how much worse the fibro seems to have gotten and thinking about all the other enjoyable things that I've already had to limit or give up. This event was pretty much my inspiration for joining the forum.

I'm hoping to find some people on this forum who can understand what I have to put up with because of this condition, as I have already received enough insensitive comments and 'helpful' suggestions to last me a lifetime.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm just moaning, so on a more positive note, here is a little more info about me. I'm a 44 year old female and live in Stoke on Trent. I like reading, finding out about things, watching films, gaming (as much as my painful hands will now allow) and for the past year or so I've been trying to teach myself to read Japanese.

I don't really know what else to say at this point (introductions are weird, aren't they?) so I'll just say thank you for reading .
refia
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newbie finding it hard to cope

Postby Helhit » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:09 pm

You're certainly not on your own. I've just come back from a weekend away with friends and I had the same experience as you. It started well, but by the Sunday I couldn't walk and ended up hiring a motobilty scooter.

I'm 45 and initially felt like a fraud, especially when people a lot older than me whizzed passed without needing any assistance. But then it occurred to me that I wouldn't be here at all if I didn't have the scooter.

So now after 6 months of going from very active to using a stick and now a scooter I've concluded that I would rather have a life with a little assistance than watch it all pass by.

Typically I've now forgotten where I was going with this, but basically want to let you know that you're not on your own :wave:
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby refia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:43 pm

refia
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello