Diagnosed 5 years ago ...

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diagnosed 5 years ago ...

Postby fletchy68 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi everyone, I actually joined a few years ago, not long after I was diagnosed but never actually got around to properly introducing mysel
I'm 46 years old and work as a midwife. I was diagnosed with fibro approx 5 years ago after starting with various symptoms that made me think I was going mad ... my eyesight deteriorated over night, I was diagnosed with IBS, I kept feeling like I was getting flu because I ached so much every day, I was constantly exhausted, I suffered pins and needles in my face, hands and feet ... it seemed to be one thing after another and all in the space of about six months, eventually it got so bad I was bedbound for 3 weeks - when I finally got a diagnosis a couple of years later I was so relieved that it wasn't all in my head!!
The hardest thing I found after the diagnosis was peoples reaction when I told them - even some of my closest friends reacted negatively saying they also 'get tired' - If only they knew !! It really upset me at the time but I now realize its their problem not mine - I'm very lucky that I have a very understanding and caring husband who I met just after my diagnosis - he looks after me and does most of the housework. I only work 2 days a week (although I do have to travel 75 miles each way!!) so at the moment I'm just about managing. Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing more about all of you xx
fletchy68
UKFM Newbie

Re: Diagnosed 5 years ago ...

Postby Lindilou » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 am

Hello fletchy68, gosh you do a lot of driving.

Yes, friends. What are they ?- all mine disappeared. :( Like yourself I do have a very supportive partner, makes all the difference doesn't it.

Take Care and hope to hear more of you on here :-D
Lindilou

Postby Jonno » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi Fletchy68,

I have just been diagnosed after years of wondering what is going wrong? I too have a supportive wife and am yet to experience the wider reaction of people. That is when I will find out who are my true friends.

I am taking one step at a time, but can't help thinking that I will need to reduce my full time hours too

Take Care

J
Jonno
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:28 pm

I know what you mean about feeling like you have the flu. That's how mine pounced on me back in Jan. I had to bring my rheumy appointment forward to feb as I just didnt feel well at all. I don't have that feeling much anymore, only various pain and the fatigue which is so bad right now. Thankfully I dont work, I am a stay at home mum and housewife. I still do a lot of what I used to depending on how I am. But I do have to rest a lot inbetween.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi and a belated :welcome: to the forum :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello