Hysterectomy and Fibro

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hysterectomy and Fibro

Postby jmc72 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Hello, I'll keep it as brief as possible, just wondering if anyone can offer some advise?
I was diagnosed with Fibro in January after 2+ years of being pushed from pillar to post. To begin with they thought it was digestive/bowel issues. Then because I was suffering extremely badly every month with my periods and being laid up in bed for 3-4 days at a time they went down the gynae route. I had so many things done to try and help but made things so so much worse. When I explained that I had ME in my late teens they were like "oh" so let's explore that. I saw a lovely consultant last November who after an extensive consultation with him and a physiotherapist they wrote back to my GP to say that he didn't think it was ME but fibromyalgia due to the extensive pain and the pain points throughout my body. I had steroid injections in both hips due to the pain as I work in retail and spend a lot of time on the shop floor, this has helped greatly. Since January I have been prescribed 20mg amitriptyline and 10mg zoplidem at bed time. 2mg diazepam to relax muscles in my back to be taken as required. Naxopren anti inflammatory as required. 30mg codeine as required.

But every cycle I am in excruciating pain burning up and off work for at least 2-5 days. My boss has been understanding and my team and colleagues are finally understanding what fibro is. It's taken time as it been such a drawn out process to get where I am now. My hours over the years have been reduced from pretty much full time to 24 hrs per week to 22 and now down to just 4 x 4 hour shifts 16hours per week. Financially it's hard but health comes first.

I saw a lovely gynae consultant a few weeks ago and finally I have been accepted to have a full hysterectomy. It was to be a 4-5 month waiting list but yesterday I got a call saying they could do the procedure in a few weeks time on the 27th. So so happy that finally after all this time I've been listened to and it's going ahead.

Concerns are:- have you had this procedure done?
Did recovery take longer because of fibro?
Has it helped in the long run ie:- having less flares due to monthly cycles?

Any advise greatly received

Many thanks Jodie
jmc72
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hysterectomy and Fibro

Postby Graciebaby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi,
Once you have gone through the recovery period for the op, you won't look back in terms of the misery you have had with your periods.
It's a massive relief to no longer suffer like that for several days a month. Fibro is enough to deal with , particularly when you are working, without having to deal with the misery of anything else!
I had a vaginal hysterectomy, so I can only comment on that. After the first 24 hours when you feel yuk because of the general, bladder catheter etc, it's nowhere near as bad is you imagine. I had a lot of repair work done (3 children and lots of damage!) and if it hadn't been for all the stitches involved with the repair, I would have experienced very little discomfort at all.

You will have to be very sensible and listen to the hospital re- length of time for full recovery and how to take good care of yourself.
Exhaustion hits hard when you are getting over surgery, so loads of rest is essential otherwise you may end up prompting a flare. Take the maximum time off work afterwards and if you don't feel 100% when you are due to return, take some more!
I know you say that you now work reduced hours, but you have done so well to continue managing to work at all with everything you have had to deal with health wise.........well done!

No one can tell you for sure how your fibro might be once the surgery is done, but if you follow advice and look after yourself then you are giving yourself the best chance for not having any flares or bad "do's" with it.
It may be that once your general health improves once your periods are a thing of the past, the fibro might ease up a bit.......well, you can hope! :-)

Best of luck with everything and take good care of yourself.

I hope to see a post on here from you in a few months telling everyone how marvellous you feel :-D

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:16 pm

First. I am sorry for your troubles.

I can't help you with the hysterectomy part of your problems. Those bits are surprisingly still intact with the surgeries I have had. I have been in the operating room over 25 times.

Make sure that all medical staff understand fibro and the meds you take. I can honestly say that I have had no extra pain or fibro symptoms, only what is to be expected for the type of surgery. We are all different and will react differently.

Whatever you decide I hope things go well for you.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby jmc72 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks guys. Much appreciated :-D

I'll keep you posted x
jmc72
UKFM Newbie

Postby jmc72 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Update

Had my operation 2 weeks ago and though in an awful lot if pain I'm glad it's over. Only thing is I'm confused as I keep getting all over flu like symptoms. Is that the fibro playing up or a result of surgery??

Had to go and see GP today as I have been passing fresh blood for the last few days and have an appt with gynae team at the hospital tmw morning to investigate further. And there was me thinking it was all over. Has anyone else experienced this??
jmc72
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello